So who exactly would we hire next?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Let’s say we tank (which we won’t) and don’t make a bowl. This year or next, whichever, we make a change. Here are the facts:

1) we’ve completed a 4-5 year transition from a run-based team to a pass-happy team.

2) in the new era, we likely wont compete AS WELL as we did with Mullen the last decade, if we were to hire a similar guy.

3). We know we have to innovate and do things differently.

If Leach isn’t the guy, then who is?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Todd Monken maybe if I had to make a move. What he's done with Georgia offense has been great. He was great with usm. Tough to replace a proven head coach with a track record for winning though.

Aug 22, 2012
No we all don’t know that we have to innovate and do things differently. Half this board wants to run back to the same abusive husband of a system that we’ve had for the last 80 years. They hate this attempt at innovation. Stockholm Syndrome.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
The one thing that Mullen and company did very well was finding diamonds in the rough and developing them into great players. That is literally the ONLY way MSU will ever do much. Gimmicks and "innovation" (the air raid is almost 40 years old by the way, it's the opposite of innovation by definition) can not overcome the lack of talent we normally have. I agree it would be harder now, thanks to the current transfer rules. Literally everything that has been done by the NCAA the last few years was done to insure that the 10-15 biggest programs remain that forever.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The one thing that Mullen and company did very well was finding diamonds in the rough and developing them into great players. That is literally the ONLY way MSU will ever do much. Gimmicks and "innovation" can not overcome the lack of talent we normally have. I agree it would be harder now, thanks to the current transfer rules. Literally everything that has been done by the NCAA the last few years was done to insure that the 10-15 biggest programs remain that forever.
NIL as well. It won’t be like it was. We have to use a gimmick or system and commit wholly to it. We also need a program ‘theme’ or something similar.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Todd Monken maybe if I had to make a move. What he's done with Georgia offense has been great. He was great with usm. Tough to replace a proven head coach with a track record for winning though.

He isn't big on recruiting and had to give up play calling at USM.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
No we all don’t know that we have to innovate and do things differently. Half this board wants to run back to the same abusive husband of a system that we’ve had for the last 80 years. They hate this attempt at innovation. Stockholm Syndrome.
If our dumbass fanbase succeeds in running him off, just to hire another no name, the ensuing 4-8 decade of malaise might be what ends my fandom, along with the current state of college football.

MSU sports have never been on the front end of innovation except building a couple of baseball stadiums. We might ought to start taking it seriously.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
1. We are not firing Leach this year barring a major collapse. I’m talking like a 4-8 or 5-7 type year.

2. You can’t fire Leach and not fire Cohen first. If Leach ends up failing someone, under no circumstances should an AD get to make a third hire after two failures in your money making sport.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
1. We are not firing Leach this year barring a major collapse. I’m talking like a 4-8 or 5-7 type year.

2. You can’t fire Leach and not fire Cohen first. If Leach ends up failing someone, under no circumstances should an AD get to make a third hire after two failures in your money making sport.
Dude, duh, we know all that. The question was IF.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I agree with that. This year was the year I expected to start seeing something's All things considered. I've seen some improvements but tonight is one of those reality check nights. A few weeks down the road will tell more. I want leach to succeed. I think he has had a good career as coach. I don't know if he will ever piece everything together here for a special season but it doesn't look likely when we have a veteran squad losing a game in the fashion we did tonight.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
James Armstrong has the soccer team playing pretty well. Offense is a little shaky, but that defense is world class.

And you know the kicking game will be strong, which will be a nice change.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
NIL as well. It won’t be like it was. We have to use a gimmick or system and commit wholly to it. We also need a program ‘theme’ or something similar.

No gimmick or system will overcome a real talent gap. My better Jimmies and Joes will beat your innovative Xs and Os nearly every time: Our only path is what Mullen showed us, identifying diamonds in the rough that the big boys don't go after that heavily, and then developing them. The thing that has changed is holding on to them.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

You better get ready to fire them both. I agree Cohen has to go first. He can not be allowed even NEAR another coaching search for the only job that matters, head football coach.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Cohen needs to go first. Keenum needs to be looking for a real AD and not a mediocre baseball coach starting today.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Exactly. We would be back to bitching about the “country club” and his lack of recruiting prowess. Then if he was successful, we would be whining about how his name was always mentioned in larger schools’ searches.
I swear y’all have battered wife syndrome. Move on for God’s sake.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Geoff Collins**

Seriously, Todd Monken. But we're stuck with Leach for another year.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
First call is to Cohenz to send his *** packin', then send Leach into permanent retirement (he's in semi retirement now), then find an AD that understands marketing, last call is to Freezus.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Briles, Monken, Clawson. These are just the next line of no name dudes. None of them bring anything innovative to the program. So we'll go 6-6 or 7-5 most of the time, and maybe 10-2 once a decade. That's the whole point of this.

I'm thinking Gus Malzahn. COMMIT to that system, has zig-zagging runs, up-tempo, plenty of passing, can use a running QB that's not a great passer. Not a big off shoot from the Air Raid and should be easy to implement.

I'd talk to Jeff Monken, Coach Ken and Troy Calhoun too, just to see what their ideas would be.

This is all of course, IF Leach actually tanks.

patdog

May 28, 2007
As much as I don’t like Malzahn, I think you may be right. And I’d learn to like him if we hired him.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Lebby is an elite play caller. Not sure how good of an HC he would be, but damn he's amazing at calling plays.

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
I want to play Barbies with y’all too!

Saban, Smart, Swinney

If we are going to play pretend with a coach that isn’t going anywhere then let’s really play pretend!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Interesting name. He's at Utah State. He did a decent job at Arkansas state.

I still think I would stick to the leach tree since we have gone this way already. I would say that even if leach didn't tank and just retired.

Not sure if Aranda would leave Baylor but he's a name I would watch if sec jobs open. You also got Gary Patterson just hanging out at Texas.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login