So who exactly would we hire next?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Briles, Monken, Clawson. These are just the next line of no name dudes. None of them bring anything innovative to the program. So we'll go 6-6 or 7-5 most of the time, and maybe 10-2 once a decade. That's the whole point of this.

I'm thinking Gus Malzahn. COMMIT to that system, has zig-zagging runs, up-tempo, plenty of passing, can use a running QB that's not a great passer. Not a big off shoot from the Air Raid and should be easy to implement.

I'd talk to Jeff Monken, Coach Ken and Troy Calhoun too, just to see what their ideas would be.

This is all of course, IF Leach actually tanks.

View attachment 25316

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Unless there's some collapse, he gets at least 5 years here. We were a kicker away from a couple of extra wins last year and who knows what that sort of momentum might have done for us against Ole Miss and in recruiting.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The one thing that Mullen and company did very well was finding diamonds in the rough and developing them into great players. That is literally the ONLY way MSU will ever do much. Gimmicks and "innovation" (the air raid is almost 40 years old by the way, it's the opposite of innovation by definition) can not overcome the lack of talent we normally have. I agree it would be harder now, thanks to the current transfer rules. Literally everything that has been done by the NCAA the last few years was done to insure that the 10-15 biggest programs remain that forever.

I’m a Mullen fan and never have really completed jumped on the Leach train… however, you realize the forward pass is not exactly a “gimmick” right?

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Yeah, Freeze goes straight to the jails and forgives them, signs them up, then goes behind the teachers back to change the f’s they made in class. I get this from an Ole Miss professor.

quickstrike2

Aug 24, 2012
I don't know who the next guy will be, but I would just like it to be someone who will use all the of the options afforded to us by the game of football. I have watched our last two SEC games (LSU and Ole Miss) be taken over by a QBs that ran around and make just enough plays to win it, while we drop pass after pass. I don't mind being pass first, but their has to be some balance. Watching the majority of college football teams run around with the QB, hell watching us run around with the QB (Dak, Fitz, etc) and now watching us refuse to do so because we can't sacrifice the perfection of our plays seems like a big swing and miss.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
I’m fine with 6-6 and 7-5 seasons if the product on the field is entertaining and we compete with our rival. These 3-7 yard passes are not fun. The lack of big plays are not entertaining. Who wants to spend their hard-earned money on NIL deals to watch this crap. We are creating a serious gap for ourselves in the new age of college football. Having the fanbase excited and bought it has never been as important as it is right now. Cohen doesn’t really seem to care.

There are coaches out there who could put fun offenses on the field, make bowl games every year, and compete with Ole Miss. Any of the Briles tree would be a homerun. Matt Rhule is another one who is coming back to college soon and would be a great get. The Meyer tree hasn’t had the best success on the biggest stages, but Mullen was good here minus his recruiting. Tom Herman might be able to replicate that on-the-field success but elevate our current recruiting status.

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
I would take Prime in a second, for the chaos alone. Seriously, we can never compete with the bigger schools NIL deals, we need someone who not only can coach, but understands NIL and branding. Prime knows branding and the NIL, I think he would bring players in. Would never happen, but I think it would be interesting.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't know who the next guy will be, but I would just like it to be someone who will use all the of the options afforded to us by the game of football. I have watched our last two SEC games (LSU and Ole Miss) be taken over by a QBs that ran around and make just enough plays to win it, while we drop pass after pass. I don't mind being pass first, but their has to be some balance. Watching the majority of college football teams run around with the QB, hell watching us run around with the QB (Dak, Fitz, etc) and now watching us refuse to do so because we can't sacrifice the perfection of our plays seems like a big swing and miss.
Were you bitching about Fitzgerald not being a good passer? Because 99% of the time you're not going to get one who is good at both. For this offense, you have to choose passer. And if you happen to get one that can do both, well congrats, you've got Johnny Football. But the Johnny's, Cam's, Dak's, Tebow's, Murray's.....those guys do not come around often. About the best you can truly plan for is the Joe Burrow's and Bryce Young's......guys who are elite throwers and run 'good enough'. And even those guys are rare and are snapped up by the blue bloods.

What you guys are stumping for is just not practical. We got EXTREMELY lucky to one, find Dak, and two, have the coach who could develop him the right way. We likely won't find another Dak anytime soon.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Unless there's some collapse, he gets at least 5 years here. We were a kicker away from a couple of extra wins last year and who knows what that sort of momentum might have done for us against Ole Miss and in recruiting.
We are all in now, so yeah, he's getting as long as he wants barring a meteoric collapse. And we, quite simply, are NOWHERE close to that right now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I pretty much agree with you, but most any offense is going to be fun to watch when it's working and is going to be painful to watch when it's not. Leach's offenses are a lot like Mullen's were in that they worked pretty damn well against low-level opponents, and stall out against upper-SEC level opponents.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Cohen needs to go first. Keenum needs to be looking for a real AD and not a mediocre baseball coach starting today.

It’s comical to me that folks think, good or bad, that Cohen has anything close to 100% autonomy with hires in the big money sports.

If Cohen is ousted, it’s just going to be another guy hand-picked by the real decision makers behind the scenes.

was21

May 29, 2007
which is another way of saying: It's players as opposed to schemes

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I pretty much agree with you, but most any offense is going to be fun to watch when it's working and is going to be painful to watch when it's not. Leach's offenses are a lot like Mullen's were in that they worked pretty damn well against low-level opponents, and stall out against upper-SEC level opponents.
The results are the same as Mullen so far, but Mullen doesn't really have an offense. He's just a great QB coach/developer and is good with game-planning.

That's why I think that Leach's system has a higher ceiling than Mullen, at least as far as offense. Overall W/L, I think they'll end up very similar because Mullen was better with the defense and special teams.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

So in other words… we don’t have the talent to compete with upper lever teams. There is only so much scheming you can do. When your opponent just completely out classes you at virtually every position, you’re likely gonna lose and not look good doing it

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not even close. Leach is about 2 wins per season less than Mullen so far. 7.67 wins per season over 9 years vs 5.72 wins per season over 2.27 years.
Bad data. Can't count COVID year as in straight wins and losses. You know that. If you don't understand why, I can't help you. You have to make things as comparable as possible. Mullen won 7.11 regular season games per year over 9 years (bowls games are crapshoots, can't count them). Leach is at 6.50 using an equivalent number for 2020. Guess what Danny's average regular season wins were after 2 years? 6.50. And you can't count anything about 2022 just yet.

You're getting destroyed here, pat. It's not the hill to die on.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Facts are facts. Leach got a bonus game vs Vandy, avoided a tough OOC trip to NC State, plus got a bonus bowl game win in 2000. Helps even out the all-SEC schedule we had that year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Facts are facts. Leach got a bonus game vs Vandy, avoided a tough OOC trip to NC State, plus got a bonus bowl game win in 2000. Helps even out the all-SEC schedule we had that year.
Bowl games variable, never know who you're going to play, COVID, etc. (for the second time), and you cannot compare a 10-game SEC schedule to a 12-game schedule with only 8 SEC games (that's literally like 1.5-2 extra wins). Those are facts, facts that make your data very shaky at best.

I get it, you won't be convinced. But you're wrong here. And next season, Leach's average regular season win total will likely surpass Mullen's (after 3 years at MSU).

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Not even close. Leach is about 2 wins per season less than Mullen so far. 7.67 wins per season over 9 years vs 5.72 wins per season over 2.27 years.

So if Leach wins 10 games this season, are you still going to point to the bogus ******** COVID year as a reason that he’s not as good as Mullen? After all, that would still only be an average of 7 wins per year.

You know, it’s perfectly fine to criticize Leach without forcing a ridiculous agenda….but you clearly have one. It’s obvious that you’re one of the folks who was against the hire from the very beginning…and you’re just reaching for confirmation bias wherever you can find it.

Last edited:

was21

May 29, 2007
Word is that he hates recruiting more than Mullen, got it made as OC at Georgia

quickstrike2

Aug 24, 2012
Were you bitching about Fitzgerald not being a good passer? Because 99% of the time you're not going to get one who is good at both. For this offense, you have to choose passer. And if you happen to get one that can do both, well congrats, you've got Johnny Football. But the Johnny's, Cam's, Dak's, Tebow's, Murray's.....those guys do not come around often. About the best you can truly plan for is the Joe Burrow's and Bryce Young's......guys who are elite throwers and run 'good enough'. And even those guys are rare and are snapped up by the blue bloods.

What you guys are stumping for is just not practical. We got EXTREMELY lucky to one, find Dak, and two, have the coach who could develop him the right way. We likely won't find another Dak anytime soon.

I rather enjoyed Fitz being our QB.

That’s my point with our next coach. I don’t want to be locked into this offense that only works with a passer.

I want this to work but I’m very skeptical. The roster isn’t going to get much more talented than what we have now, and my money is on 6-6 this year. The back breaking turnovers and drops aren’t going anywhere, it’s who we are it appears.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
17 it. Freeze. Good offense and recruits.

Dude without the network and cash....the recruits aren't coming. Our NIL is absolutely pathetic. What makes you think our fan base can get anything close to what is required to play in the game....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I rather enjoyed Fitz being our QB.

That’s my point with our next coach. I don’t want to be locked into this offense that only works with a passer.

I want this to work but I’m very skeptical. The roster isn’t going to get much more talented than what we have now, and my money is on 6-6 this year. The back breaking turnovers and drops aren’t going anywhere, it’s who we are it appears.
That’s fair. I enjoyed it too. Can’t really argue with what you posted. My only point is, while we are in this Leach experiment, it is what it is. Doubt we are getting a runner anytime soon.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
The Cohen hate on this board is so strange. It's almost universal across the board that Jans was the best hire in CBB this last year. We just won a Natty in baseball.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
So in other words… we don’t have the talent to compete with upper lever teams. There is only so much scheming you can do. When your opponent just completely out classes you at virtually every position, you’re likely gonna lose and not look good doing it
How does Ole Miss seem to be able to compete with top teams?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Everyone was in the same boat in 2020. Didn't seem to hurt our friends to the northwest much. If Leach wins even 8 games this year, it'll be a damn good season he should get an extension and a raise. No agenda here, just facts. Leach isn't a bad coach. Just WAY overrated and people are giving him passes for mediocrity for going on 3 years now.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Everyone was in the same boat in 2020. Didn't seem to hurt our friends to the northwest much. If Leach wins even 8 games this year, it'll be a damn good season he should get an extension and a raise. No agenda here, just facts. Leach isn't a bad coach. Just WAY overrated and people are giving him passes for mediocrity for going on 3 years now.
Ohio State didn't play but like 6 games in 2020. Should Ryan Day's yearly average reflect that?

That's how stupid your argument is here.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You do realize it was a bowl game that got our previous coach fired, don't you? If bowl games didn't count, Leach is probably still at Washington St. Moorhead is definitely our coach for 2020, which he gets a pass for, so he's our coach for 2021. And Garrett Shrader is probably our starting QB instead of freezing his *** off in Syracuse.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We played 11 games in 2020. How many Ohio St. played is completely irrelevant.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

In the context of this discussion, nobody was in the same boat in 2020 as they were in 2009-2017, which is the comparison you are trying to make with the average wins argument compared to Mullen. In our case, we initially had a normal 12 game schedule with 3 guaranteed wins and one possible / probable win against NC State. We traded those 3 guaranteed wins and one possible / probable win for 1 possible / probable win (Vandy) and 1 guaranteed loss (UGA - in a game that was much closer than it should have been because Kirby was still trying to force the JT Daniels experiment). That’s a net change of minus 3 wins from just about any normal non-pandemic year. Even if we had the best team since 2014, the absolute iron clad ceiling for that team in terms of regular season wins was about 5 wins. Yet you’re holding the fact we had 3 wins over Leach’s head as some sort of albatross.

And also, no, everybody was not in the same boat as each other in 2020, either. Not even close. Some teams were affected way more than others by the no spring practice situation. Teams with brand new coaches AND portal transfer and/or true freshmen QB’s (like MSU)were affected way more than teams with new coaches but returning, experienced, talented QB’s (like Ole Miss). Some teams had ill timed COVID outbreaks that cost them winnable games. Some did not. LSU had the best WR in the country just say “Meh, I’m good” and more or less just quit the team a year early. Other schools had major contributors opt out or transfer. You had a team that played like 5 damn games make the CFP. Some teams had some fans in the stands and a little bit of home field advantage, some did not. Games got cancelled on short notice. You had a Big 10 team lose 4 out of their 6 games in 2020, then make the CFP the very next season with mostly all the same players.

That 2020 season was something the country really needed as a distraction in a trying time, but it was still a complete shitshow and nothing close to a real season in any regard. There is literally nothing you could take, good or bad, from any program in 2020. Everybody said at the time it was the ultimate asterisk year for every team, but folks choose to forget that when its convenient for whatever argument they are trying to make.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You do realize it was a bowl game that got our previous coach fired, don't you? If bowl games didn't count, Leach is probably still at Washington St. Moorhead is definitely our coach for 2020, which he gets a pass for, so he's our coach for 2021. And Garrett Shrader is probably our starting QB instead of freezing his *** off in Syracuse.

The bowl game is not what got Moorhead fired. Its the fact that our culture had run so far amuck that our starting QB got his face broken by a teammate in a fight at practice for the bowl game. If that doesn’t happen, Moorhead gets another year no matter what happens in the game against Louisville.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login