Soccer Post: USMNT versus Canada

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
View attachment 23755
The two teams at the top of the Octagonal meet this afternoon.

The standings:

View attachment 23756

Thanks to Costa Rica parking the bus and getting the 1-0 win over Panama there’s finally a little separation from the top three and the remainder of the pack.

View attachment 23757

And since there is separation, here’s what I would like to happen today:

1. For the USMNT, Away Points. A win would be sweet but I wouldn’t count on it.
2. Jamaica to earn Away Points at Panama. A win for the Reggae Boys would be asking a lot but they almost stole a point from Mexico by parking the bus. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do the same tactics today.
3. Mexico to beat Costa Rica if only because we don’t want potential chaos at the top part of the standings at all.

Some folks might disagree with me on that third point but we’re at a situation where we want less chaos.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I keep waiting for the South Park boys to make a new movie that skewers everything today but especially the new Oscar diversity check list for Best Picture, the Twitter Mob, and everything else that needs a kick in the nuts

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
1-0, Canada.

Larin with a goal in the 7th minute.

Weah doesn’t make the trip because he doesn’t satisfy Canada’s vaccine requirements (he was dosed once and got Covid which prevented him from getting the second shot in time.

Weah is considered vaccinated in France.

link: here

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
We should never have to play on 17n turf for a WC qualifier. Not to mention one that is more narrow than a football field.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Turf would have happened regardless.

If Canada had chosen Vancouver instead of Hamilton, Portland would have been chosen as a host site for the USMNT.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
He's a likable guy and good at harassing guys when we're up late and holding a lead, but, yeah, he's not a starter on any decent national team. Except ours.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
That's likely enough. Canada's a good team. Going up early and parking the bus is likely all that's needed. Are we expecting Zardes to get us a point?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Canadas not more talented than USA. But they’re much better organized & coached.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Yup. Zardes did have a nice 50 yard pass out of bounds for no reason. Good thing we didn't sub him out at least 10 minutes ago we might not have seen that.

Last edited:

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
We lack tough guys. We need really miss a guy like Jermaine Jones. Puli acts tough with his mouth but he small and gets pushed off the ball easily.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Panama wins 3-2 & Costa Rica gets an away point— parking the bus for a 0-0 tie.

El Salvador leads Honduras 1-0 at the half.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Between us and Panama for third and an automatic birth

Panama wins 3-2 & Costa Rica gets an away point— parking the bus for a 0-0 tie.

El Salvador leads Honduras 1-0 at the half.

We get them at home at least. Better beat Honduras next cause at Costa Rica and at Mexico are likely losses. We've got forwards playing in Europe and dude started Zardes.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If we can’t beat Honduras at home, we don’t deserve to qualify.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Didn’t get to watch this one but had really hoped we could find a way to tie and get a point.

I hope we don’t blow qualifying but I have zero faith in this bunch and coach doing anything at the WC

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
El Salvador wins 2-0 and the current standings are…

View attachment 23765

The next matches are Wednesday—

View attachment 23766

Canada at El Salvador — Canada are in the driver’s seat and have maybe the best remaining schedule but at the same time they have the disadvantage of playing three of their last four matches on the road. Of those three, this is the best opportunity for them to win— but El Salvador is a tricky opponent at home.

Honduras at United States — A must-win for the United States in order to create some separation from the fourth spot. This is their next-to-last match in the US and their last three contests are at Mexico, versus Panama, and at Costa Rica.

Panama at Mexico — Three of Panama’s last four matches: At Mexico, At the US, and hosting Canada— needless to say, for them to advance, this is where they need to prove it. They just have to make sure not to have a home letdown against Honduras before they travel to Orlando.

After hosting Panama, El Tri also host the US, travel to Honduras, and then host El Salvador.

Costa Rica at Jamaica — The Ticos travel to Jamaica, host Canada, go to El Salvador, and then host the US to finish off the octagonal. Jamaica next hosts El Salvador, travels to Canada, and then hosts Honduras. The Ticos need an away win to be in contention for the playoffs because right now they’re 4 points behind Panama.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. Those old USA teams in the 90s and 2000s weren't as talented as this group is, but nobody wanted to play them because they would fight you tooth and nail for 90+ minutes every time. A lot of these guys don't do that. I'm hoping as they mature, they'll develop more of a fighting spirit.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We need to beat Honduras and hope Mexico beats Panama and Jamaica at least draws Costa Rica. Then we would lock up a spot in the WC with a home win over Panama in the next round regardless of how the other results play out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login