Soccer

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don't see the correlation, is one 1A school and two 2A schools going to suddenly become this massive feeder system for MSU soccer?

Reactions: Ranchdawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
How do these other schools afford to have these other sports and we don’t?
Is it that complicated to waive tuition for the athletes wanting to represent our institution on the field? I understand that there are rules that won’t allow the waiver but how do other schools do it?
Surely soccer and beach volleyball couldn’t be that expensive of sports to have. We already have a soccer field.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
We should add lawn darts and pickleball too. We could dominate all of the sports on The Ocho with all of our resources... I mean we are MState, the school with all the extra resources.

How about this, let's it make like Trump did with the regulations... For every new sport added, two existing ones of equal resources must be cut.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Is it that complicated to waive tuition for the athletes wanting to represent our institution on the field?
It's not complicated, it's illegal. It's a state institution funded by tax payers. You can't give away their assets (i.e., tuition). None of our athletes get tuition waived. Every time we give an athletic scholarship, the tuition owed the university is paid for by the Bulldog Club.

patdog

May 28, 2007
How do these other schools afford to have these other sports and we don’t?
Do you not understand that our revenue is about half that of most of the other schools in our conference. It costs about $2,000,000 to field a soccer team (more if you want to be competitive). I'm all for adding men's soccer. I love soccer. But what sport are you going to cut to do it?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Do you not understand that our revenue is about half that of most of the other schools in our conference. It costs about $2,000,000 to field a soccer team (more if you want to be competitive). I'm all for adding men's soccer. I love soccer. But what sport are you going to cut to do it?
I get they have more money but I wasn’t sure about how expensive each sport is. I also wasn’t sure where the funding actually came from.
I’m really shocked that it’s that expensive for soccer but I’m assuming the main costs are for coaches and admin.
This, to me, increases the conundrum of giving to the BI or BC.
Thanks.

Reactions: Dawgg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It's not complicated, it's illegal. It's a state institution funded by tax payers. You can't give away their assets (i.e., tuition). None of our athletes get tuition waived. Every time we give an athletic scholarship, the tuition owed the university is paid for by the Bulldog Club.
Ok. I'm ignorant on the matter and that’s why I’m asking. It sucks that we don’t have moneybag farmers for alumni!

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
For those smarter than me on this issue, I only see two other SEC schools with men's soccer teams, Kentucky and South Carolina. They play in the Sun Belt Conference. If we were to add any other sport, wouldn't we want it to be part of the SEC and would there be a revenue share from the TV contract for that sport. For example, do we get any shared revenue from the SEC TV contract for women's soccer or is what the conference pays us each year just one big lump sum that covers all sports?

Also, I learned last night while watching our softball team that Vanderbilt is the only team in the SEC without a women's softball team. They do have bowling and swimming however.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Title IX does much more harm than good therefore MUST be reviewed and sent back to court. My opinion has NOTHING against women sports it's just that things are not fair based on Men's football schollies. Don't we have a women's soccer team? How is it fair that women have one but men can't? Title IX MINUS Football Schollies would be fair to both sexes and would in no way limit women opportunities or discriminate against women. Right now it is pure discrimination against Men's Sports outside of football.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For those smarter than me on this issue, I only see two other SEC schools with men's soccer teams, Kentucky and South Carolina. They play in the Sun Belt Conference. If we were to add any other sport, wouldn't we want it to be part of the SEC and would there be a revenue share from the TV contract for that sport. For example, do we get any shared revenue from the SEC TV contract for women's soccer or is what the conference pays us each year just one big lump sum that covers all sports?

Also, I learned last night while watching our softball team that Vanderbilt is the only team in the SEC without a women's softball team. They do have bowling and swimming however.
TV money for the minor sports is next to nothing. But yeah, we're not adding a sport the SEC doesn't sponsor. I mean, we're not adding one anyway, but if we did, it would be an SEC sport.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You don’t need a few million to add these sports.
According to the report linked below, Kentucky spent the following on men’s soccer in 2019:
$250,000 on head coach’s salary
$216,000 on assistant coaches’ salaries
$531,000 on player tuition
$60,000 on recruiting
$231,000 on team travel
$117,000 on equipment
$18,000 on in game expenses
$65,000 on camp expenses
$17,000 on medical expenses/insurance
$48,000 on “other operating expenses”

So, about $1.6 million for just one of the two sports mentioned, and that’s for a program that’s been running for years. You’d need additional funding for start up costs like funds to make improvements to the soccer facilities to accommodate two separate teams playing during the same time of year.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Title IX does much more harm than good therefore MUST be reviewed and sent back to court. My opinion has NOTHING against women sports it's just that things are not fair based on Men's football schollies. Don't we have a women's soccer team? How is it fair that women have one but men can't? Title IX MINUS Football Schollies would be fair to both sexes and would in no way limit women opportunities or discriminate against women. Right now it is pure discrimination against Men's Sports outside of football.
Title IX actually has very little to do with NCAA scholarship limits. In fact, some schools have faced difficulty satisfying Title IX while being hampered by scholarship limits. Title IX is often used by athletic directors as a scapegoat so they don’t have to pay for more non-revenue men’s sports.

If you look at the “active” roster vs scholarship ratio for the only two true revenue sports, football and men’s basketball, against all other sports, you’ll see a huge gap. The NCAA members set those limits, not Title IX.

There is literally nothing stopping athletic departments from adding more men’s sports outside of money.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Title IX actually has very little to do with NCAA scholarship limits. In fact, some schools have faced difficulty satisfying Title IX while being hampered by scholarship limits. Title IX is often used by athletic directors as a scapegoat so they don’t have to pay for more non-revenue men’s sports.

If you look at the “active” roster vs scholarship ratio for the only two true revenue sports, football and men’s basketball, against all other sports, you’ll see a huge gap. The NCAA members set those limits, not Title IX.

There is literally nothing stopping athletic departments from adding more men’s sports outside of money.
So Titile IX does not demand a school give an equal number of schollies to men and women?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Monroe County School District adding soccer to their sports programs. It is time for State to add men's soccer!
My school, which wasn't particularly progressive and located in rural MS, added soccer in 1997. Is this some big accomplishment?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
According to the report linked below, Kentucky spent the following on men’s soccer in 2019:
$60,000 on recruiting
$231,000 on team travel
$117,000 on equipment
$65,000 on camp expenses

So, about $1.6 million for just one of the two sports mentioned, and that’s for a program that’s been running for years. You’d need additional funding for start up costs like funds to make improvements to the soccer facilities to accommodate two separate teams playing during the same time of year.

I was able to find LSU’s beach volleyball numbers. They spent about $1 million on beach volleyball from 2020-2021:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Strictly speaking, no, it doesn’t.
So what does this mean and what did Polk Biatch about so many years?:
Under Title IX, an educational institution must provide male and female athletes with equal access to financial aid. This means that funds allocated to athletic scholarships must be proportionate to the participation of male and female athletes.Jul 14, 2022

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
$60,000 on recruiting
$231,000 on team travel
$117,000 on equipment
$65,000 on camp expenses

You wouldn't have to add that much facilites wise. Maybe a men's locker room and possibly a practice field. Don't we already have fields for intermurals? Both teams playing competitive games on the same field is no problem.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
There are SEC sports that State doesn't have. We shouldn't consider adding sports that we have to compete in the Sun Belt or Conference USA in until we have all of the SEC sports.

It's ludicrous we don't have women's equestrian, for example. We have one of the top equestrian facilities in the country. There was serious talk about MSU hosting a high level college equestrian meet even though we don't have a team.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
There are SEC sports that State doesn't have. We shouldn't consider adding sports that we have to compete in the Sun Belt or Conference USA in until we have all of the SEC sports.

It's ludicrous we don't have women's equestrian, for example. We have one of the top equestrian facilities in the country. There was serious talk about MSU hosting a high level college equestrian meet even though we don't have a team.
We do have a women and men's equestrian but they compete in another class.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Athletic Budget

UCF and USF have smaller budgets but have several more sports programs than State. Both have men's soccer and other sports.

Why are we poormouthing ourselves when "it just means more!"

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

af102

May 17, 2009
You wouldn't have to add that much facilites wise. Maybe a men's locker room and possibly a practice field. Don't we already have fields for intermurals? Both teams playing competitive games on the same field is no problem.
When I was in school 10+ years ago, the IM fields could barely keep up with demand between IM games and club sports trying to use them for practice. Games basically ran every night 5-11pm almost year round, and the fields themselves were pretty beat up most of the time.

The last MSU master plan from 2016 showed an additional 5 multipurpose fields being added east of the IM softball complex, and burying the ditch on the old IM fields on Stone Blvd to convert those into 2 useable fields for clubs/IM.

None of that has been built yet, so a new men’s soccer team would either practice on the game field like the women’s team or the whole program would need a new practice field.

All of the field club sports (rugby, soccer, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse) used to have to practice on the softball outfields because that was the only way to get a field with lights for most of the semester. Some teams ended up paying for fields with lights at the Starkville RecPlex even though it wasn’t cheap.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Yes, it’s just money that stops them, but Title IX pretty significantly ups the money necessary to add a men’s sport because whatever options schools technically have to satisfy Totle IX, there is a reason they more or less all end up using the proportionality test.

title IX even prohibits donors from funding a men’s sport they care about unless they or the school will provide resources for a “matching” women’s sport.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I bet a lot of girls get sports schollies on sports they never played just to fill the numbers. "Just come and we'll teach you and you'll get a schollie" in order to stay in Title IX Compliance. No time spent prior to college earning the scholly.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
I hope you all realize that if MSU ever added men's soccer that having roster slots filled with players who played HS soccer in Mississippi would be the exception - if you wanted them to be competitive. Take a look at the women's side. The roster would be filled with foreigners - or with kids from the Mid-Atlantic states, Texas and maybe Florida. It is just the nature of higher-level soccer in the US. The really good MS kids tend to leave to develop past a given age.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I hope you all realize that if MSU ever added men's soccer that having roster slots filled with players who played HS soccer in Mississippi would be the exception - if you wanted them to be competitive. Take a look at the women's side. The roster would be filled with foreigners - or with kids from the Mid-Atlantic states, Texas and maybe Florida. It is just the nature of higher-level soccer in the US. The really good MS kids tend to leave to develop past a given age.
Long term it will lead to improved soccer players in high school in Mississippi. Isn't that what our universities are supposed to do? Lead the state or become insignificant.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
Long term it will lead to improved soccer players in high school in Mississippi. Isn't that what our universities are supposed to do? Lead the state or become insignificant.
What - in like 40 years? I honestly am not sure that it will. Those players will never really go on to play college at a D1 level. The population just isn't there. It is hard to see unless you live in an area that is much more populated and has an ultra high-level if investment in youth soccer. MS has some great coaches - but once a player his 10 or so years old, they can't keep up with the development needed (for the most part). Not enough players playing and training at a high-level.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Be careful though. Aunt Becky went to jail for that.
Full House GIF

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
What - in like 40 years? I honestly am not sure that it will. Those players will never really go on to play college at a D1 level. The population just isn't there. It is hard to see unless you live in an area that is much more populated and has an ultra high-level if investment in youth soccer. MS has some great coaches - but once a player his 10 or so years old, they can't keep up with the development needed (for the most part). Not enough players playing and training at a high-level.
Maybe a medium level though?

The only in-state colleges I’m aware of that play soccer with mostly in-state student athletes are the jucos.

Jones did well in men’s soccer this past season. They were a 2-seed in the national JUCO D2 tournament.

Holmes and Jones both advanced to the national tournament in women’s D2 soccer. The Bulldogs beat the Bobcats to go to the finals— which they lost.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

The only in-state colleges I’m aware of that play soccer with mostly in-state student athletes are the jucos.

Jones did well in men’s soccer this past season. They were a 2-seed in the national JUCO D2 tournament.

Holmes and Jones both advanced to the national tournament in women’s D2 soccer. The Bulldogs beat the Bobcats to go to the finals— which they lost.
Wow, didn't know that about Holmes and Jones.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003

The gap between Juco soccer and D1 soccer is way way wider than you can imagine. There aren’t really any D1 players playing juco soccer like other sports.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The gap between Juco soccer and D1 soccer is way way wider than you can imagine. There aren’t really any D1 players playing juco soccer like other sports.
Oh, I know it’s wide.

That’s why I said medium level?

And that’s just that way in comparison to D1.

And we know both are lower levels compared to the major European leagues.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login