Soccer

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You don’t need a few million to add these sports.
Women's basketball LOST $4.5 million last year and they put 5 players on the court at a time. I can't understand know how they lost that much, wouldn't have even guessed they spent anywhere near that much but that was in a thread on here a couple weeks ago. How much you think it would cost to field a team of 11 plus subs? Coaches would be about the same I guess, got to maintain a field, travel, hotels, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
hmmmm, men's soccer or beach volleyball...I think i know which would be more popular in the 'Sip
april ross volleyball GIF

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So what does this mean and what did Polk Biatch about so many years?:
Under Title IX, an educational institution must provide male and female athletes with equal access to financial aid. This means that funds allocated to athletic scholarships must be proportionate to the participation of male and female athletes.Jul 14, 2022
It's "equal access", not "equal numbers". The "participation rate" is the key caveat there. It takes into account the number of high school boys participating in sports vs high school girls. Boys have always had a higher participation rate than girls. This is largely due to football and there being no female equivalent that fields that many players along with there being very few females participating in boys' football.

From what I'm finding, the participation ratio has ranged 70%-75% over the past two decades, so theoretically, a school would need to stay in that range when handing out athletic scholarships. So, for every 10 men's sports scholarships, a school would have about 7 women's sports scholarships. So, when you look at it, while football eats up a lot of men's scholarships in college, it being a huge source of high school athlete boys is a big reason why men are afforded more athletic scholarships than women (as a raw number).

Right now, if you look at the NCAA sports Mississippi State sponsors and the number of scholarships on each, there are 131.3 men's scholarships and 85 women's scholarships (so about a 65% ratio).

SportMenWomen
baseball
11.7​
basketball
13​
15​
t&f
12.6​
18​
football
85​
golf
4.5​
6​
soccer
14​
softball
12​
tennis
4.5​
8​
volleyball
12​
Total
131.3​
85​

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It's "equal access", not "equal numbers". The "participation rate" is the key caveat there. It takes into account the number of high school boys participating in sports vs high school girls. Boys have always had a higher participation rate than girls. This is largely due to football and there being no female equivalent that fields that many players along with there being very few females participating in boys' football.

From what I'm finding, the participation ratio has ranged 70%-75% over the past two decades, so theoretically, a school would need to stay in that range when handing out athletic scholarships. So, for every 10 men's sports scholarships, a school would have about 7 women's sports scholarships. So, when you look at it, while football eats up a lot of men's scholarships in college, it being a huge source of high school athlete boys is a big reason why men are afforded more athletic scholarships than women (as a raw number).

Right now, if you look at the NCAA sports Mississippi State sponsors and the number of scholarships on each, there are 131.3 men's scholarships and 85 women's scholarships (so about a 65% ratio).

SportMenWomen
baseball
11.7​
basketball
13​
15​
t&f
12.6​
18​
football
85​
golf
4.5​
6​
soccer
14​
softball
12​
tennis
4.5​
8​
volleyball
12​
Total
131.3​
85​
Thanks for this. I still say football numbers shouldn't count since women don't earn football schollies in High School. Women do indeed compete in all other sports prior to college and thus earn college schollies just like the men do in the same sports (counting baseball and softball as the same sport). Remove football from the equation and you've got men getting 46.3 and women 85. I see no fairness in that and the fact that football plays such an important financial role in the athletic dept further solidifies my opinion.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for this. I still say football numbers shouldn't count since women don't earn football schollies in High School. Women do indeed compete in all other sports prior to college and thus earn college schollies just like the men do in the same sports (counting baseball and softball as the same sport). Remove football from the equation and you've got men getting 46.3 and women 85. I see no fairness in that and the fact that football plays such an important financial role in the athletic dept further solidifies my opinion.
I understand why you feel that way. I mean, I disagree, but I understand why you feel that way. For me, it's tough to exclude football when it's the single biggest spender on men's scholarships. I feel that's like saying "if you don't count GM, Ford is the biggest American automaker". Well, that's true, but GM still exists.

That being said, it is tough to overlook the fact that the revenues from football (and to a lesser extent, men's basketball) fund the rest of the athletic department. These laws were written in a time well before you had athletic departments raking in 9 figures a year and non-revenue sports losing 7 figures a year. So, again, I get where you're coming from.

Also, I'm in no way an advocate for cutting men's programs and I think (hope) once the power programs finally cut bait on the NCAA, you're going to see some of these scholarship limits raised and maybe see some new (and revived) programs emerge. The biggest thing that sports like men's soccer, beach volleyball, hockey, etc. need is an audience. If they could begin drawing eyeballs and money, then schools will begin picking them up.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Let's solve the baseball scholly problem first, and foremost. Then, and only then, should we even consider adding sports.
My solution was to add 10 baseball scholarships and 7 softball scholarships. The only real downside to this is the number of Baseball schools without a Softball team (42) and the number of Softball schools without a Baseball team (36). That being said, very few of each are in a power conference.

Baseball but no Softball:
UniversityConference
Arkansas State UniversitySun Belt Conference
Chicago State UniversityWestern Athletic Conference
Citadel Military College of South CarolinaSouthern Conference
Dallas Baptist UniversityMissouri Valley Conference
Davidson CollegeAtlantic 10 Conference
Eastern Michigan UniversityMid-American Conference
Gonzaga UniversityWest Coast Conference
High Point UniversityBig South Conference
Kansas State UniversityBig 12 Conference
New Jersey Institute of TechnologyAmerica East Conference
Northeastern UniversityColonial Athletic Association
Old Dominion UniversityConference USA
Oral Roberts UniversityThe Summit League
Pepperdine UniversityWest Coast Conference
Rice UniversityConference USA
Robert Morris University IllinoisHorizon League
Texas Christian UniversityBig 12 Conference
The University of Texas Rio Grande ValleyWestern Athletic Conference
Tulane University of LouisianaAmerican Athletic Conference
United States Air Force AcademyMountain West Conference
United States Military AcademyPatriot League
United States Naval AcademyPatriot League
University of Arkansas at Little RockSun Belt Conference
University of California-IrvineBig West Conference
University of CincinnatiAmerican Athletic Conference
University of MiamiAtlantic Coast Conference
University of New OrleansSouthland Conference
University of North Carolina at AshevilleBig South Conference
University of PortlandWest Coast Conference
University of RichmondAtlantic 10 Conference
University of San FranciscoWest Coast Conference
University of Southern CaliforniaPac-12 Conference
University of Wisconsin-MilwaukeeHorizon League
Vanderbilt UniversitySoutheastern Conference
Virginia Commonwealth UniversityAtlantic 10 Conference
Virginia Military InstituteSouthern Conference
Wake Forest UniversityAtlantic Coast Conference
Washington State UniversityPac-12 Conference
West Virginia UniversityBig 12 Conference
William & MaryColonial Athletic Association
Wofford CollegeSouthern Conference
Xavier UniversityBig East Conference

Softball, but no Baseball:

NameConference
Boston UniversityPatriot League
Cleveland State UniversityHorizon League
Colgate UniversityPatriot League
Colorado State University-Fort CollinsMountain West Conference
DePaul UniversityBig East Conference
Drake UniversityMissouri Valley Conference
Drexel UniversityColonial Athletic Association
Hampton UniversityBig South Conference
Howard UniversityMid-Eastern Athletic Conference
Idaho State UniversityBig Sky Conference
Indiana University-Purdue University-IndianapolisHorizon League
Iowa State UniversityBig 12 Conference
Loyola University ChicagoMissouri Valley Conference
Morgan State UniversityMid-Eastern Athletic Conference
Portland State UniversityBig Sky Conference
Providence CollegeBig East Conference
Robert Morris UniversityHorizon League
Saint Francis UniversityNortheast Conference
South Carolina State UniversityMid-Eastern Athletic Conference
Southern Utah UniversityBig Sky Conference
St Catherine UniversityMinnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Syracuse UniversityAtlantic Coast Conference
The University of MontanaBig Sky Conference
The University of Tennessee-ChattanoogaSouthern Conference
The University of Texas at El PasoConference USA
University at BuffaloMid-American Conference
University of Detroit MercyHorizon League
University of Missouri-Kansas CityThe Summit League
University of North DakotaThe Summit League
University of North TexasConference USA
University of Northern IowaMissouri Valley Conference
University of South DakotaThe Summit League
University of TulsaAmerican Athletic Conference
University of Wisconsin-Green BayHorizon League
University of Wisconsin-MadisonBig Ten Conference
Weber State UniversityBig Sky Conference

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I understand why you feel that way. I mean, I disagree, but I understand why you feel that way. For me, it's tough to exclude football when it's the single biggest spender on men's scholarships. I feel that's like saying "if you don't count GM, Ford is the biggest American automaker". Well, that's true, but GM still exists.

That being said, it is tough to overlook the fact that the revenues from football (and to a lesser extent, men's basketball) fund the rest of the athletic department. These laws were written in a time well before you had athletic departments raking in 9 figures a year and non-revenue sports losing 7 figures a year. So, again, I get where you're coming from.

Also, I'm in no way an advocate for cutting men's programs and I think (hope) once the power programs finally cut bait on the NCAA, you're going to see some of these scholarship limits raised and maybe see some new (and revived) programs emerge. The biggest thing that sports like men's soccer, beach volleyball, hockey, etc. need is an audience. If they could begin drawing eyeballs and money, then schools will begin picking them up.
What I'm also seeing is that if you are a non football male H.S. Athlete hoping to earn a Scholly, you're at a disadvantage due to your gender. There are Zero demands for female football therefore women are not in the Slightest Disinfranchised or Damaged in any way were football to be excluded from the equation. Women would still have equal access to Sport's Schollies they compete in during H.S. and would Absolutely then be on equal footing and fairnes with their non football male counterparts.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

Great (and simple) explanation Dawgg. I had forgotten the "participation" nuance part of the equation in trying to reconcile the numbers. Particularly the FB off set. Thanks as well for looking up our actual numbers as I've been too lazy to do it my self. ;)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login