Softball scores in the bottom of the 6th to comeback and take

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
both games of a doubleheader with Samford. Purvis with the 2 run double in the bottom of the 6th after trailing 1-0.

22-10 record

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
both games of a doubleheader with Samford. Purvis with the 2 run double in the bottom of the 6th after trailing 1-0.

22-10 record

Behind maybe baseball, it’s been our most consistent program over the past 20 years.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Behind maybe baseball, it’s been our most consistent program over the past 20 years.

If by consistent, you mean near the bottom of the conference. I do like this team. It's more athletic than the recent teams and has better pitching.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
To be fair, the SEC is definitely the strongest softball conference in the country. I believe last year every single SEC but one made an NCAA regional. We have been a consistent 2-3 seed in a regional every year for the past 10-15 years or so. Never have taken the next step of winning a regional but hopefully we can do that soon.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
To be fair, the SEC is definitely the strongest softball conference in the country. I believe last year every single SEC but one made an NCAA regional. We have been a consistent 2-3 seed in a regional every year for the past 10-15 years or so. Never have taken the next step of winning a regional but hopefully we can do that soon.

It's really not. The PAC is generally bettter. The Big 12 is pretty comparable plus they've got OK. SEC isn't head and shoulders better. Just deeper.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
The Big 12 only has seven schools participate in softball.

Like I said, depth. SEC isn't better. Just deeper. OK might not lose this year. AL has already take some hits, FL has too. SEC doesn't look super strong. Just super deep.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Part of being better is being deeper. Not that I care, but a quick check of the softball rankings shows the SEC has 4 teams in the top 10 and no other conference has more than 2, so apparently the SEC's pretty good at the top too.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It's really not. The PAC is generally bettter. The Big 12 is pretty comparable plus they've got OK. SEC isn't head and shoulders better. Just deeper.

What are you basing this on?

I looked at the last 15 WCWS Finals and the conference breakdown is this:

Championships
SEC - 3
PAC - 7
B12 - 4
B10 - 0
ACC - 1

Championship appearances
SEC - 9
PAC - 8
B12 - 7
B10 - 2
ACC - 2

Plus the SEC and PAC both have 1 Finals where both teams were from the same conference.

Different teams
SEC - 4
PAC - 4
B12 - 2
B10 - 2
ACC - 1

Also worth mentioning is that one of the Big 12 teams that made the finals, Texas A&M, is now in the SEC and the other, OU, is coming in the next year or two.

The SEC has been pretty comparable to the Pac-12 & ahead of the Big 12.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
What are you basing this on?

I looked at the last 15 WCWS Finals and the conference breakdown is this:

Championships
SEC - 3
PAC - 7
B12 - 4
B10 - 0
ACC - 1

Championship appearances
SEC - 9
PAC - 8
B12 - 7
B10 - 2
ACC - 2

Plus the SEC and PAC both have 1 Finals where both teams were from the same conference.

Different teams
SEC - 4
PAC - 4
B12 - 2
B10 - 2
ACC - 1

Also worth mentioning is that one of the Big 12 teams that made the finals, Texas A&M, is now in the SEC and the other, OU, is coming in the next year or two.

The SEC has been pretty comparable to the Pac-12 & ahead of the Big 12.

You basically just noted the PAC has won half the championships. More than double the SEC. Even the Big 12 won more. And as I said, the SEC isn't better. It's deeper. I believe you're showing the same damn thing I've said. Hell, it's been 10 years since AL win the first Natty for the SEC. FL had their two year run 7 years ago.
I would expect AL to make the series, because they've got Fouts. They're not great otherwise. They always have one pitcher. But it's been a long time since they won it. FL isn't strong this year IMO. After that, it's parity. Lots of top 25 teams, but nobody incredible.
OK should roll again. OK and UCLA have already destroyed us this year. But I like this team. They battle.

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
We play in a tough league in softball and also have some inherent recruiting disadvantages. When you consider that, the results haven’t been that bad.

The next step is hosting a Regional or advancing to a Super Regional, which I don’t believe we’ve ever done in either case.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We play in a tough league in softball and also have some inherent recruiting disadvantages. When you consider that, the results haven’t been that bad.

The next step is hosting a Regional or advancing to a Super Regional, which I don’t believe we’ve ever done in either case.

Bingo! MS is almost a softball wasteland. But those kids out west are heading south more and more. The Polynesian connection is great! We've brought in some great GAs to help too. It's going to take a little time, but we can do it. Anxious to watch this year's team.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login