Solid work by Afroman

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The real culprit here is the investigator(s) who asked for the warrant. They did a piss poor job and put these officers in the wrong place. That's who the officers should be suing.
But, the officers were only doing their job and following orders.
Other than 'allegedly' walking off with money they might have collected at the house, looks like they did their job correctly.
Not sure if their privacy was invaded, since bodycam footage is public, but Afroman has most definitely caused them some major “emotional distress, embarrassment, ridicule, loss of reputation and humiliation.”
Wonder what the courts will conclude.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its been 20 years since I had seen Afroman, but damn he has aged. Obviously, but still- that was a surprise.
Still has a killer sense of humor though.

As for the police being caused emotional distress, embarrassment, ridicule, loss of reputation, and humiliation?...I mean, I guess that stuff can happen to anyone since its all so subjective. One person is embarrassed over something another person couldnt care less about.
With that said, can someone really be held liable for embarrassing another person? If so, thats sad to see.
Are police, or anyone in public for that matter, protected from being humiliated in all manners? Releasing video of a raid just doesnt seem to be illegal, so there is no privacy issue and if someone feels humiliated as a result, is that on them or is that on the person who released the video that is legal to release?

And I will fully admit that I am surprised they didnt find possession of narcotics/drugs. I mean, even Afroman jokes about that in the song and video.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What's the law on owning the recording of occupants in your home walking around clothed? I think Afroman has the rights to anything at his residence. However if he makes money off people that did not grant him rights to do so, then maybe they just want a cut. They never were made aware and never signed a release. He would have had to blur out their face/voice.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What's the law on owning the recording of occupants in your home walking around clothed? I think Afroman has the rights to anything at his residence. However if he makes money off people that did not grant him rights to do so, then maybe they just want a cut. They never were made aware and never signed a release. He would have had to blur out their face/voice.
How do shows get away with doing something on the street of a city with actual pedestrians moving about? Getting everyone to sign releases is impossible- there are times where its like a thousand + people. But their faces also arent blurred out.

I dont disagre with your post and you make an interesting point. Im just adding to it because this is something I havent understood and never bothered to read about, but have randomly thought about.

A wild card in all this is that I know for sure that privacy laws vary from state to state.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Man I hate this kind of crap. I really support police, but this crap looks stupid. Really? You kicked down Afroman’s door? Afro man!? Did he not agree to a search warrant or cooperate? Maybe they suspected he had a kidnap victim inside so they had to, but seriously, shouldn’t they apologize and pay for damages? Go find a bigger fish. Camo and ballistic shields. Surprised they didn’t napalm the front and back yard, drop tear gas and wrap everything in concertina wire when finished.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008

Its actually way more interesting than is indicated above. The case actually has pretty interesting implications as it relates to filming of officers or releasing filming to the press

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Who's Afroman? Is he DC's newest minority super hero?

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Sounds like the PD is suffering from a huge case of butt hurt and doubling down on the same stupidity that got them in this situation to begin with. The reasoning for the search warrant was obviously flawed and they tried to disable some of his security cameras, they made fools of themselves and now feel that they should be compensated for being idiots. Whoever made the unsubstantiated claims that got the search warrant issued should be removed/fired from their position and the rest of them need to STFU before they make bigger fools of themselves than they already have.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If it ever does make it to court, I think they would throw the police officer's case out. Once you enter another person's residence, I'm not sure if having a warrant, destroying property, taking money, traumatizing the husband, wife, and kid entitled to anything except maybe having paying them personal and property damage. A good lawyer should rip their ***, especially since it was all caught on camera.

I'm just not too sure you have to get their rights to their personal appearance. Even if they did not sign a release, they entered your property willingly end of their own accord. Having warrant only gives them every right only to obtain anything illegal and making any arrest because you find anything illegal or any illegal activity.

They are really making themselves look stupid. They're causing even worse embarrassment, ridicule, etc. to themselves than the video has made. It's just making it all more viral which makes them look even more stupid and does not help the image of the good people that are in law-enforcement.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I get that the "narcotics" section of the warrant allows the searches, but surely they cannot keep the money they found with no other evidence.

How the 17 does anything in that warrant allow them to disable a private camera system? That is the dumbest thing I saw in that video. How the 17 can you as a LEO support dashboard and body cameras as evidence but unplug cameras in a private residence you're raiding? Dumb dumb dumb.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
I get that the "narcotics" section of the warrant allows the searches, but surely they cannot keep the money they found with no other evidence.

How the 17 does anything in that warrant allow them to disable a private camera system? That is the dumbest thing I saw in that video. How the 17 can you as a LEO support dashboard and body cameras as evidence but unplug cameras in a private residence you're raiding? Dumb dumb dumb.
My easy answer here: ACAB

Reactions: dgsmith15

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

They can keep it and do. If they believe the cash was made illegally they will keep it without proof. Civil asset forfeiture.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The lawsuit is dumb, and a perfect example of the Streisand effect. None of us would even have known about the fruitless search if the officers had not sued.

Im not sure the suit is frivolous, though. In a bit of a misnomer, the tort of invasion of privacy includes misappropriation of someone’s name, image, or likeness (NIL) for the defendant’s benefit. It really does not have much to do with a “right to privacy”, and instead protects your right to control the use of your own NIL.

This law usually applies to celebrities, or maybe models who posed for a picture for one purpose but then found the picture used for another purpose. But regular, people can assert that someone is bringing them unwanted publicity or profiting from their NIL.

Although Afroman owns the images of these guys searching his home, he does not have the right to use those images for his own financial benefit. It would probably be okay for him to go on a news program and use the footage to expose the treatment he received, but it’s another thing to make music videos and promote himself on social media with the footage.

Nevertheless, I’m not certain the law was intended to protect against this activity, and there cannot be much monetary damage. I hope they really just want the videos taken down but Afroman wouldn’t listen.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
(snipped)

Nevertheless, I’m not certain the law was intended to protect against this activity, and there cannot be much monetary damage. I hope they really just want the videos taken down but Afroman wouldn’t listen.
Afroman, whose real name is Joseph Foreman, told NPR in a phone interview that what he did next was his "smartest, most peaceful solution."

"I asked myself, as a powerless Black man in America, what can I do to the cops that kicked my door in, tried to kill me in front of my kids, stole my money and disconnected my cameras?" he says. "And the only thing I could come up with was make a funny rap song about them and make some money, use the money to pay for the damages they did and move on."
He says he was already pursuing a defamation lawsuit against the police, and that they have made that process easier because now his legal team just needs to countersue, which they plan to do soon.

"I want to sue them for stealing my money, I want to sue them for writing 'kidnapping' on a warrant and making me suffer financially in my industry because just that accusation makes people raise an eyebrow about you," he adds.

Since you were wondering, I snipped a couple sections (shown above) from an NPR article.

Just google NPR & Afroman — the link I want to embed is going to a totally different story.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login