Someone said on the premium board that Brandon Walker said...

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Sumrall was going to be my guess! Hope it’s him only because his name is will be misspelled and autocorrected to oblivion.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Dumb question. I get needing to move on from this experiment (made during a tragedy) we hoped would turn out well.

But, is it imperative that he's not on the sideline to finish out the season? It's not like a new HC can do anything yet.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
he believes this will be the last game Arnett coaches and state fans should probably start watching Tulane and Troy games.
Eh, I'm not sure how connected Brandon Walker is with this kind of stuff. Most of his career is oriented towards entertainment and not necessarily media/insider type stuff.

I could be wrong though. I wonder under what context he made that statement.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
he believes this will be the last game Arnett coaches and state fans should probably start watching Tulane and Troy games.
Fritz is 63. Sumrall is 42. Is it better to have a 63 year old ride into retirement while grooming replacements or a 42 year old take his next, but possibly not his last step?

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's not like a new HC can do anything yet.
Except maybe get interviewed and start talks now, or hired by someone else first, if they are already available? Otherwise I agree, the season is a loss already so why not stay

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Except maybe get interviewed and start talks now, or hired by someone else first, if they are already available? Otherwise I agree, the season is a loss already so why not stay

Shirley, that's already started happening through back channels.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Fritz is 63. Sumrall is 42. Is it better to have a 63 year old ride into retirement while grooming replacements or a 42 year old take his next, but possibly his last step?
Would you rather a 10 year run like Jackie or a 10 year run like Mullen? My question would be, how well does a 63 year old accept the new era of college athletics?

Reactions: MAJOR DAWG

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Surely he'll be here until Thanksgiving. That wouldn't serve any purpose to fire him before then.
We hired arnett because our players were being poached and signing day was upcoming… leach passed away 2 weeks after the egg bowl? I’m not a huge fan of firing coaches mid-season, unless some scandal issue, but I’m afraid the portal will dictate the need for early an early firing

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Dumb question. I get needing to move on from this experiment (made during a tragedy) we hoped would turn out well.

But, is it imperative that he's not on the sideline to finish out the season? It's not like a new HC can do anything yet.
I think it gives players and recruits certainty that a change will be made. Auburn officially announced Freeze the Monday after the iron bowl - we should be in the same position to make an announcement no later than Monday. Don't leave anyone in limbo - if we're going to make a change, no reason to not get a head start on other schools that are still debating a change.

And in fairness to the assistants, gives them more time to find their next job. If I'm likely not going to have a job by end of December I'd prefer to know soon as possible.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
I think it gives players and recruits certainty that a change will be made. Auburn officially announced Freeze the Monday after the iron bowl - we should be in the same position to make an announcement no later than Monday. Don't leave anyone in limbo - if we're going to make a change, no reason to not get a head start on other schools that are still debating a change.

And in fairness to the assistants, gives them more time to find their next job. If I'm likely not going to have a job by end of December I'd prefer to know soon as possible.
Agree, if you know you are going to make a change there is no benefit in delaying (not saying he should or shouldn't be let go). Go ahead and get out front before other teams start their search.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Would you rather a 10 year run like Jackie or a 10 year run like Mullen? My question would be, how well does a 63 year old accept the new era of college athletics?
I didn't enjoy the second half of the Mullen tenure, other than the 2014 success. First half of his tenure introduced us to the fact that with decent coaching we could compete again, which provided much needed hope post-Croom. Most of the second half was beating teams we should and not beating teams that we "shouldn't", coupled with him job hunting every season and becoming increasingly less likable.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We hired arnett because our players were being poached and signing day was upcoming… leach passed away 2 weeks after the egg bowl? I’m not a huge fan of firing coaches mid-season, unless some scandal issue, but I’m afraid the portal will dictate the need for early an early firing
I would think maybe the opposite? You can go into the portal and get guys if needed when you get the new coach. Seems that the portal offers opens up more options than in the past.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Sumrall was going to be my guess! Hope it’s him only because his name is will be misspelled and autocorrected to oblivion.
Mispronounced too. If my grandparents were living they would say summer all

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I would think maybe the opposite? You can go into the portal and get guys if needed when you get the new coach. Seems that the portal offers opens up more options than in the past.
Then why did we hire arnett to begin with?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Eh, I'm not sure how connected Brandon Walker is with this kind of stuff. Most of his career is oriented towards entertainment and not necessarily media/insider type stuff.

I could be wrong though. I wonder under what context he made that statement.
I like BW a lot but you are correct:

He’s generating clicks. I’d be surprised if any of the 3 happen.

Won’t be his last game
Won’t be Tulane coach
Won’t be Troy coach

might be 2/3 but wouldn’t surprise me if none of that is even remotely true.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Then why did we hire arnett to begin with?
I sure don't have that answer. Perhaps it was as much about program continuity/healing from the loss of Leach as anything. I'd like to think the human element played some role in that decision to minimize the impact of the loss on the young men impacted. If that had anything to do with it, however, it begs the question why wasn't the offensive staff retained? Maybe the offensive guys leaving was their decision, not MSU's?

I'd love to one day know the full story.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017

I would say unless the assistants are morons they can look at the performances of their respective groups and know, but the I thought about it and it seems obvious they wouldnt be expecting it

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Also I heard from someone that if we fire him before the EB it costs us extra buy out money. But that doesn't mean we can't be ready to announce Thursday before midnight

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Also I heard from someone that if we fire him before the EB it costs us extra buy out money. But that doesn't mean we can't be ready to announce Thursday before midnight

Oh No Transformation GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don't think Sumrall would be a bad hire. He has been very successful at Troy and not a flash in the pan either. Seems like a natural step for him and one he could have continued success at. I wouldnt complain if he was the guy

Reactions: Dawg1976

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think Sumrall would be a bad hire. He has been very successful at Troy and not a flash in the pan either. Seems like a natural step for him and one he could have continued success at. I wouldnt complain if he was the guy
How many coaches go straight from the Sunbelt into the SEC and have much success? If we go the G5 route, it needs to be a little more experienced coach from the AAC or MWC.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login