Someone said on the premium board that Brandon Walker said...

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Both of these guys would be extremely underwhelming but it seems to be par for the course at this point. Just insane we could go get a Tom Herman but hire one of these guys instead.

Reactions: msdawg90 and patdog

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Walker plays a great character at Barstool and he said this on his podcast.
No idea if he has any inside knowledge or not .
But also have to think there is a reason State played in the Barstool Basketball opener the past 2 years. There is a connection with him there somewhere in the department

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't know much. But one thing I do know is most of these guys like Brandon Walker and Bo Bounds spouting off their predictions don't know any more than I do.
I think On3 has pretty good sources I wonder what they are hearing

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I didn't enjoy the second half of the Mullen tenure, other than the 2014 success. First half of his tenure introduced us to the fact that with decent coaching we could compete again, which provided much needed hope post-Croom. Most of the second half was beating teams we should and not beating teams that we "shouldn't", coupled with him job hunting every season and becoming increasingly less likable.
When he lost to Freeze in 2012, he'd given up the ghost and/or given up Starkville. Freeze was about to beat him again in 2013, but Dak had another plan.
The team was playing their hearts out that night, but you could see Mullen had thrown in the towel before Dak got in that game.
If Freeze and OM hadn't imploded, Mullen would not have won another Egg Bowl. Lazy 17er. Hard to compete with cheat, particularly when you just want out.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Eh, I'm not sure how connected Brandon Walker is with this kind of stuff. Most of his career is oriented towards entertainment and not necessarily media/insider type stuff.

I could be wrong though. I wonder under what context he made that statement.
Brandon was LITERALLY sitting next to Zac Selmon during the basketball game last night. You know he asked him about this stuff.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Check out Fritz's record at Toolame from 2016-2021, that's what fans will key on. That wasn't against SEC West competition either, that record was against equivalent competition for the most part. He would be an underwhelming hire, therefore, I do expect us to make that move.

Nov 29, 2017
ESPN posted an article earlier about Arnett. They named Lebby and Sumrall. I know it doesn’t mean much, but the noise is getting louder

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Bob Stoops could take over tomorrow
And I would be a huge Stoops fan. Immediately. Give the man 10 million/yr. Let's go.
Ask Arnett if he would stay on as DC for his current salary. I really want him to stay as the DC. Not that he would.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I sure don't have that answer. Perhaps it was as much about program continuity/healing from the loss of Leach as anything. I'd like to think the human element played some role in that decision to minimize the impact of the loss on the young men impacted. If that had anything to do with it, however, it begs the question why wasn't the offensive staff retained? Maybe the offensive guys leaving was their decision, not MSU's?

I'd love to one day know the full story.
Oh no, it was definitely not their decision. I know for a fact Mason didn't know whether he was staying up until the day of them hiring the new OL coaches. It was kind of ****** how MSU kept all the guys in the dark until after signing day.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm still putting my money on Herman. I'm sure he would like to get in the SEC. In particular at a job where he would have less interference than Texas. But who knows. Bob might land in GTR the day after Thanksgiving

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I still think we need a HEAD coach, someone who knows how to manage the football program and let's excellent coordinators coach and do their job. I don't care if he is a special teams minded coach!
Hammer Time GIF

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Think I also read that Brandon spent time with Selmon yesterday too. They were in the same building at least for a few hours, that we do know….I’ve also never got the Rosebowl feel about Brandon. Being around or with Zac yesterday prolly gave him some insight we don’t have. Not that he’d give him any breaking news, but could be the ‘vibe’ he was picking up on. Who knows the what’s and the who’s, but Zac, and I bet we gonna be here to talk about it!

I can’t fathom a reason Brandon would say that about Ar’nett not coaching the EB. Maybe he resigns, or resigned, or is told to stay home or is on a plane that gets hijacked. Without Brandon giving a reason for saying that, I wouldn’t give it much credence. What if he’s not on the sidelines for the EB though? We gonna get Beth Mowins thoughts on it for sure. At least, y’all will, I’ll get Neil and Matt’s thoughts. I don’t listen to tv commentators calling our games… I’ll read about it here.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
How many coaches go straight from the Sunbelt into the SEC and have much success? If we go the G5 route, it needs to be a little more experienced coach from the AAC or MWC.
I think those results might surprise you.

There are really only 4 recent examples of Sun Belt to SEC hires:

1) Hugh Freeze (Ark State to OM)

Obviously that turned out pretty good for them, and would have been even better without Scuba Steve diving through phone records. He ended up getting an eventual promotion to a bigger gig, anyway.

2) Gus Malzahn (Ark State to Auburn)

Gus wore thin after 7-8 years after his offense began to stall out with minimal QB development, but he was pretty successful early with a flash or two here and there late. Certainly wasn’t a bust hire, although was maybe a mild underachiever overall.

3) Eli Drinkwitz (App State to Mizzou)

This one has turned out pretty good thus far. Mizzou is currently in Top 15 and is in strong NY6 contention.

4) Billy Napier (ULL to Florida)

Napier’s been the least successful of the 4 so far. But most UF fans are content with his current recruiting and are on board with Year 3, which will obviously be critical for him.

So the hit rate over the past 10-15 years is 75-100% for Sun Belt to SEC, depending on what happens with Napier. Have there been ANY hits on hires from the MWC or AAC over that same period?

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
There is no way it will be Fritz, he turned down Ga Tech because he plans to retire in the next 2 years. Hes a good coach but not looking for a rebuild.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Obviously that turned out pretty good for them, and would have been even better without Scuba Steve diving through phone records. He ended up getting an eventual promotion to a bigger gig, anyway.

Gus wore thin after 7-8 years after his offense began to stall out with minimal QB development, but he was pretty successful early with a flash or two here and there late. Certainly wasn’t a bust hire, although was maybe a mild underachiever overall.

This one has turned out pretty good thus far. Mizzou is currently in Top 15 and is in strong NY6 contention.

Napier’s been the least successful of the 4 so far. But most UF fans are content with his current recruiting and are on board with Year 3, which will obviously be critical for him.

So the hit rate over the past 10-15 years is 75-100% for Sun Belt to SEC, depending on what happens with Napier. Have there been ANY hits on hires from the MWC or AAC over that same period?
Good analysis. And better than I thought. My comments in each.
Freeze - Obviously a success, marred by failings in his personal life & NCAA prob
Malzahn - many would argue he was average at best, but I agree overall a success. He was better than a lot think.
Drinkwitz - Having a good season. Is this one the outlier and will he revert to the records of his first 3 seasons? Or has he built a good program?
Napier- chance he may turn out ok, but so far a big fail.

also, add Kiffin from FAU - huge success. But he did have P5 head coaching experience at USC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perd Hapley

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Sumrall??? Really. Good record at Troy but damn. From Leach to Troy. Maybe he'd work out but that's asking a bit much. Fritz I get because he's had some recent success at a place that really shouldn't have success. I'd pass on him because of his age and his record while building a team. Herman and Gus should be considered. We had Leach. We got a big name to come here. We're not getting Wittingham but still. Grow a pair and get someone with a pedigree.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

All are good coaches and Napier might be the only one not ready for an elite SEC football school that has high expectations.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Walker plays a great character at Barstool and he said this on his podcast.
No idea if he has any inside knowledge or not .
But also have to think there is a reason State played in the Barstool Basketball opener the past 2 years. There is a connection with him there somewhere in the department
He doesn’t have any inside knowledge

Reactions: Bullldawg78

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm still putting my money on Herman. I'm sure he would like to get in the SEC. In particular at a job where he would have less interference than Texas. But who knows. Bob might land in GTR the day after Thanksgiving
I agree that Tom Herman at this point is the most likely candidate and he's who i want. I'm sure Bob's interest has been gauged by every major program who has had an opening since he retired. He's likely not interested.

Nov 25, 2019
Sumrall was going to be my guess! Hope it’s him only because his name is will be misspelled and autocorrected to oblivion.
don't know him, but Cross and Hadad said he was an upcoming star. In fact, Hadad thought he would be there another year and then move to greener pastures.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Good analysis. And better than I thought. My comments in each.
Freeze - Obviously a success, marred by failings in his personal life & NCAA prob
Malzahn - many would argue he was average at best, but I agree overall a success. He was better than a lot think.
Drinkwitz - Having a good season. Is this one the outlier and will he revert to the records of his first 3 seasons? Or has he built a good program?
Napier- chance he may turn out ok, but so far a big fail.

also, add Kiffin from FAU - huge success. But he did have P5 head coaching experience at USC.
Yeah, I didn’t count Kiffin since he was in the SEC before he was at FAU and that was more of a rehab stint than an actual ascension.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login