Someone tell me why

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I can’t choose between 2 energy companies that are within 100 yds of where I need energy/power?

Make that make sense for me.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can’t choose between 2 energy companies that are within 100 yds of where I need energy/power?

physical infrastructure is expensive. You know the power companies are regulated so they can’t rip you off, right?

Reactions: 85Bears

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You know you can regulate and still allow them to compete right?
Go build the infrastructure for them then, money man.

Some internet providers actually do compete, if I understand correctly. Depends on if they have the wire in place.

Current prices are pretty good, amirite?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Some internet providers actually do compete, if I understand correctly. Depends on if they have the wire in place.

Current prices are pretty good, amirite?
Public service commission you dumb SOB 🤦🏼‍♂️

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

Some internet providers actually do compete, if I understand correctly.
It's rarely infrastructure. It's the crooks at town hall. Typically the utility companies have contracts with the county/city to service an area. Someone likely got paid to give a company exclusivity.

I learned about all of this when I started digging around why Charter didn't have interweb in my hood when literally right across the street they had it. The people at Charter told me they have installed a substation to provide the service, but cannot activate it until XYZ date. Same with nat gas in my neighborhood. We have options that others don't. Years ago, someone at City Hall got a kickback to give or not give certain utility providers access to areas. When those contracts are up, you'll have a chance to get other options. Until then, enjoy the lack of competition.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

These pieces of s h i t entities are State-regulated monopolies. Each is granted a specific footprint to operate as the “exclusive” provider of power within the footprint granted by the State (the Public Service Commission). No other power supplier is legally authorized to intrude into another power supplier’s footprint. If your property is situated within Entergy’s footprint, you cannot get power from any other company. You are stuck with those insufferable b@stards.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
It's rarely infrastructure. It's the crooks at town hall. Typically the utility companies have contracts with the county/city to service an area. Someone likely got paid to give a company exclusivity.

I learned about all of this when I started digging around why Charter didn't have interweb in my hood when literally right across the street they had it. The people at Charter told me they have installed a substation to provide the service, but cannot activate it until XYZ date. Same with nat gas in my neighborhood. We have options that others don't. Years ago, someone at City Hall got a kickback to give or not give certain utility providers access to areas. When those contracts are up, you'll have a chance to get other options. Until then, enjoy the lack of competition.
The rules are a little different for entities regulated by the FCC. Telecommunications companies don’t enjoy “exclusivity” in the same way that electric utilities do.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
These pieces of s h i t entities are State-regulated monopolies. Each is granted a specific footprint to operate as the “exclusive” provider of power within the footprint granted by the State (the Public Service Commission). No other power supplier is legally authorized to intrude into another power supplier’s footprint. If your property is situated within Entergy’s footprint, you cannot get power from any other company. You are stuck with those insufferable b@stards.
Nah according to G O A T I can put my money where my mouth is and invest in infrastructure!!

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
it’s fungible so you’re being screwed by politicians. donate more and they’ll make an exception

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm more curious why you can't admit you're a know-it-all in your own mind m17er.

Funds for energy Infrastructure are often earmarked and ready to go and the aforementioned political reasons block it.
Happens all over the country. I don’t believe in black helicopter crap.

I also know how much utility infrastructure costs.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Someone likely got paid to give a company exclusivity.

Likely got paid? So there is a greater than 50% chance someone took a bribe?

SPS is the home of hot takes and over-reaching claims, but damn this one sits atop the recent pile.

Where I have lived and currently live, many utilities are limited to 1 provider. Some have 2 or 3, but 1 is common.
That doesn't mean someone was paid off. The cities have all set it up that way and it's well known. It's not this way because a bribe was accepted.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

SPS is the home of hot takes and over-reaching claims, but damn this one sits atop the recent pile.

Where I have lived and currently live, many utilities are limited to 1 provider. Some have 2 or 3, but 1 is common.
That doesn't mean someone was paid off. The cities have all set it up that way and it's well known. It's not this way because a bribe was accepted.
I'm not talking about BFE Iowa. I'm talking about well-developed burbs/metropolitan sprawl. Sorry to break it to you, but the politicians you worship hate you.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Happens all over the country. I don’t believe in black helicopter crap.

I also know how much utility infrastructure costs.
No one said it didn’t happen all over the country you ignorant fool. But it doesn’t always. Texas you can choose.

No one said anything about black helicopters.

There is no reason that SW electric shouldn’t be allowed to give me power if they want to simply bc the state says they can’t.

It’s the most non capitalist thing ever.

Then some b1tch liberal will yell that power companies are greedy. Well open the market and drive down prices.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Nothing hot or over reaching about my post.

But when you start saying companies are greedy and taking advantage of people, I’ll remind you of my over reaching hot take.

Reactions: aTotal360

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There are two Boo Boo bars right next to each other over in Jackson. Funny in Mississippi you get a choice of titties bars but not a choice for electric providers. Crazy world man crazy world.

• Love
Reactions: paindonthurt

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm not talking about BFE Iowa. I'm talking about well-developed burbs/metropolitan sprawl. Sorry to break it to you, but the politicians you worship hate you.
Wow thats a helluva response.

- I grew up in the Chicago metro and my comments apply to the town I lived in.
- my in laws live in another part of the metro, 10 towns from my hometown, and my comments apply to the town they live in.
- my comments apply to the city we lived in before our current home.
- my comments apply to the suburb we live in now.

All have well established policies that limit utilities and there is no record, in those towns, or someone being paid off to ensure utilities are limited. That simply isn't how the process works in the places I am referring to.

As for me worshipping politicians, I have no idea what you are talking about. That claim came out of left field. No need to lash out with baseless claims.

I am confident there are examples of politicians taking bribes to limit access to other vendors for services.
That doesn't mean it's the case for over 50% of towns/villages/cities in the US.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
There are two Boo Boo bars right next to each other over in Jackson. Funny in Mississippi you get a choice of titties bars but not a choice for electric providers. Crazy world man crazy world.
Capitalism works especially when titties are involved.

But I bet those Larry’s hate that bc we drive down the price those pretty innocent ladies get to take home.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Nothing hot or over reaching about my post.

But when you start saying companies are greedy and taking advantage of people, I’ll remind you of my over reaching hot take.
I didn't say your post was a hot take or over reaching.

F17S, not everything is about you. I hadn't even responded to you or referred to you.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I didn't say your post was a hot take or over reaching.

F17S, not everything is about you. I hadn't even responded to you or referred to you.
You are responding on a thread I started and as normal you cherry pick things that fit your weird af narrative.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
No one said it didn’t happen all over the country you ignorant fool. But it doesn’t always. Texas you can choose.

No one said anything about black helicopters.

There is no reason that SW electric shouldn’t be allowed to give me power if they want to simply bc the state says they can’t.

It’s the most non capitalist thing ever.

Then some b1tch liberal will yell that power companies are greedy. Well open the market and drive down prices.
You're halfway there. You know what capitalist providers hate? Competition. They didn't bribe anyone to provide exclusivity, they just said give us exclusivity or we won't provide there. Often, they backroom deal with company gets which area. They each get their own captive market, and don't have to compete. Profit! And they run that game to City Hall as a team. They, as a group, set the terms to City Hall.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You're halfway there. You know what capitalist providers hate? Competition. They didn't bribe anyone to provide exclusivity, they just said give us exclusivity or we won't provide there. Often, they backroom deal with company gets which area. They each get their own captive market, and don't have to compete. Profit! And they run that game to City Hall as a team. They, as a group, set the terms to City Hall.
You know what fixes that? Less gov restriction and less government involvement.

You and G O A T and glfr gotta be sporting 2 digit IQs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrKotter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I think your question has been answered a few times, but I’d answer your question with another question. In your case, what is the incentive to choose one or the other? Is there some huge price difference per kWh?

I’ve never even considered shopping around for electricity. Always just accepted that it was there before the property was, and you’re just kind of in bed with whoever it is unless someone buys them out or buys their rights to the infrastructure. No different than your mortgage, your school district, or your voting precint in most respects.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I think your question has been answered a few times, but I’d answer your question with another question. In your case, what is the incentive to choose one or the other? Is there some huge price difference per kWh?

I’ve never even considered shopping around for electricity. Always just accepted that it was there before the property was, and you’re just kind of in bed with whoever it is unless someone buys them out or buys their rights to the infrastructure. No different than your mortgage, your school district, or your voting precint in most respects.
There isn’t an option so you pay the price they set.

There are lots of places currently with infrastructure and ability where you could easily buy from 1 or the other but you can’t bc of government.

If you could, price per kWh would go down.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
If you pay your bill to a utility it is regulated. If you pay your bill to a town, say Vicksburg Utilities you get screwed and their is nothing you can do. State can't regulate municipals when they jack the rate an extra 50 cents.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You know what fixes that? Les gov restriction and less government involvement.

You and G O A T and glfr gotta be sporting 2 digit IQs.
Lol, no. Less regulation in the face of an oligopoly just leads to less competition! We are in this place BECAUSE of deregulation.

Dude, very basic economics. Pro tip, don't call people stupid while saying something very dumb.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Um yeah, generally not having a record of a payoff is the way to go. Better chance of not getting found out that way.
The record would be documentation of it being exposed. Arrests, firings, convictions, etc etc.

I would think that something so blatantly illegal would be easily exposed over and over and over. Town after town.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
There isn’t an option so you pay the price they set.

There are lots of places currently with infrastructure and ability where you could easily buy from 1 or the other but you can’t bc of government.

If you could, price per kWh would go down.
Ok, how? SOMEONE ran those lines that carry that electricity. Someone owns them. You think they're just gonna let a competitor use them?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Lol, no. Less regulation in the face of an oligopoly just leads to less competition! We are in this place BECAUSE of deregulation.

Dude, very basic economics. Pro tip, don't call people stupid while saying something very dumb.
So let me get this straight. The state of Mississippi stops Mississippi power from offering energy in Entergy’s territory and vice versa and same with SW.

and somehow that’s not on the government?

And Hunter bidens laptop still isn’t real right?

ILL GET EVERY THREAD YOU POST IN LOCKED FROM HERE ON OUT. It’s worth it for me. You are stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If you pay your bill to a utility it is regulated. If you pay your bill to a town, say Vicksburg Utilities you get screwed and their is nothing you can do. State can't regulate municipals when they jack the rate an extra 50 cents.
So you are screwed in all scenarios you listed bc of government

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The record would be documentation of it being exposed. Arrests, firings, convictions, etc etc.

I would think that something so blatantly illegal would be easily exposed over and over and over. Town after town.
Stick to the topic or shut up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login