Someone tell me why

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Is he ever really looking for an explanation. All the guy does is come here and pick fights with people. There is no way he talks to people he encounters regularly the way he talks to people on this board. He would have already had his *** whipped by now.
Oh of course not. Nothing more than opinion in the form of a question (in this case, another random way to take a swipe at "the government"). Credit to those who took the time to help PDH "make sense of it" but had a hunch there wasn't going to be a "thanks, it makes sense for me now".

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
“Tell me why….”
i want it that way millennium GIF by BACKSTREET BOYS

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Energy, co-ops, etc. All have to abide by rates set by the government, electricity and gas. If you live in a municipality and pay your bill to them, then they can jack it up.

When I lived in Vicksburg you paid the town for gas, they bought it from atmos. People outside town and who paid directly to Atmos got it 38 cents per unit cheaper. I checked with the state and they can't regulate municipalities.

So blaming the provider is stupid. It doesn't matter because the difference is negligible. Unless your paying to a municipality.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So in your mind the members of Congress that make $174k and own multiple properties in some of the most expensive areas of the US are just so great at $ management and nothing shady has happened because they haven't been exposed? You really do live in a Utopia. You'd be in total shock if you moved from there!
This has nothing to do with the original claim.
Stay on topic. Don't move goalposts, don't create strawmen, just stay on topic.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
This has nothing to do with the original claim.
Stay on topic. Don't move goalposts, don't create strawmen, just stay on topic.
It's pointing out the stupidity of how you claim that no kickbacks occur unless they are made public, which is on the topic that you brought up. Just you being you!

Reactions: paindonthurt

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's pointing out the stupidity of how you claim that no kickbacks occur unless they are made public, which is on the topic that you brought up. Just you being you!
I am not claiming that no kickback occur unless they are made public.
I am saying that it's absurd to claim bribes occur over half the time when a utility has exclusive rights to service a town.

You don't even understand what you are arguing against. F17S, keep up.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
I guess I misunderstood the phrasing. It seemed like maybe you had a property at or near the interface of 2 different utility companies’ service areas (based on “100 yards apart”), and wanted to know why you couldn’t choose either service? I was particularly curious if you had a compelling reason to choose one or the other.

To play devil’s advocate, let’s set aside the fact that there are defined usage areas, with Public Service Commissions, etc. - and you’re either in one or the other. Let’s pretend that its open kimono, but you still have to account for added infrastructure for T-ing into an existing service area that’s not your “base” service.

Say you live on the south side of a street. Your utility provider is Company A. The houses on the north side of the street are Company B. You decide that you like Company B better for whatever reason. Let’s say you have underground utilities, which for this particular example is probably the most simple and straightforward case study.

So, you decide you’re switching to Company B. You call Company B to tell them you want to start using them. Company B says, “OK great, but its going to take a minute. First I need you to fill out this paperwork, then you also have to pay this New Service one-time fee of $X to start the process”. Then they are going to have to get permits / approvals to do excavation, additional line hook up, concrete cutting and patching to run under the road and sidewalk, etc. Then they are going to have to reach out to your current utility company to get a map of the lot showing their line locations and hazard areas. Then they’re going to have to dig up your yard, hook up a new meter, and then have an electrician switch over the service point at the property.

That’s all going to cost Company B a hell of a lot of money, which really means its going to cost YOU a lot of money. And that is the most simple, straightforward, and hassle free way of theoretically going outside your normal service area. I really don’t believe there are any 2 utility companies in the south that are so wildly different in price structure and/or reliability to justify such an expenditure.

So yes, while there are politics and horse trading and bureaucracy of both the companies and the city / state governments involved, I think it does cut pretty evenly, and it streamlines the process of getting the product to the end users. Imagine the taxpayer expenditures of running 2x or 3x as many lines, transformers, substations, and the admin costs associated with managing that much messier grid for a given municipality. That’s what it would take to allow people to switch their utility companies as easily as jumping from Netflix to Hulu, or AT&T to Verizon. And it would all be done for a freedom that probably 99.9% of people don’t really give a crap about. That high cost / low benefit ratio is the actual answer to your question. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze.
This is what I was going to say……

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login