Sorry, Harvard. Everyone Wants to Go to College in the South Now

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
Just because it wasn’t the times or the post doesn’t mean it wasn’t true. Why bring an agenda into this.

Because this article is part of a much larger narrative that’s being pushed by certain media outlets. It’s been going on for over 20 years now. Music, print, television, etc have been working vigorously to rehabilitate the image and reputation of the Southern US.

There are only a small set of reasons for families from outside the South to send their students down there and, with only a few notable exceptions, it has nothing whatsoever to do with academics. To suggest otherwise is damn ridiculous and makes you look downright foolish.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
All I know is I’m telling anyone who will listen, especially in my kids’ grades, how hot Southern schools are right now and that Harvard is for knobs.

kristen wiig comedy GIF by Zoolander No. 2

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Just off the top of my head, segregation academies, the confederate flag on state house grounds, segregated proms, and Biloxi.
First off the south was run by Democrati governors for 150-200 years in every state especially during segregation.
Second, for the most part there are more Yankees now down here then there are southerners. So there is that

Last edited:
Reactions: Bison13

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
First off the south was run by Democrati governors for 150-200 years in every state especially during segregation.
Second, for the most part there are more Yankees now down here then there are southerners. So there is that

Oh Sweet Lord. Do we have to do remedial history again?

• Haha
Reactions: razpsu

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
There has been a trend of students from non-Southern regions finding Southern schools more popular for some time, as is noted in the article. While it's not noted in the excerpts you posted, part of the reason for that has been an aggressive approach, from the financial side, by a number of Southern universities to make themselves more appealing.

That said, the WSJ headline, which you repeated in your Subject line, is not all that accurate. Harvard's popularity with high school seniors remains exceedingly high. For the Class of 2028 (the students that entered college this fall), for Harvard:

Applicants: 54,008
Admitted: 1,970
Enrolled: 1,647

Geographical breakdown of Harvard's class that just started:

New England: 17%
Middle Atlantic: 20%
South: 16%
Midwest: 9%
Central: 2%
Mountain: 2%
Pacific: 15%
Territories: <1%