South Carolina fired their HC Mark Kingston...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
2018South Carolina37–26 (.587)17–13 (.567)3rd (East)Fayetteville Super Regional
2019South Carolina28–28 (.500)8–22 (.267)5th (East)
2020South Carolina12–4 (.750)0–0 (.000)(East)Season canceled due to COVID-19
2021South Carolina34–23 (.596)16–14 (.533)4th (East)Columbia Regional
2022South Carolina27–28 (.491)13–17 (.433)5th (East)
2023South Carolina42–21 (.667)16–13 (.552)3rd (East)Gainesville Super Regional
2024South Carolina37–25 (.597)13–17 (.433)5th (East)Raleigh Regional

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
So... Justin Parker circa 2023:

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Kinda surprising to me, but I did hear some of their fans on a podcast last night say that if they kept him, they are not watching a single game.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm not familiar with the situation or the person or team but I feel compelled to share this after a little social media research

Baseball is a business

Reactions: Darryl Steight

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
If they want a coach with a national championship resume, I've got just the man for them.
You joke, but if they did poach Lemonis, a lot of our fans would find out how hard it is to hire a good coach.

In my lifetime, we've made the following baseball hires:
  • promoted assistant
  • rehired retired coach
  • SEC head coach with two regional appearances and zero super regional appearances (former player)
  • SEC assistant
  • Big Ten head coach with three regional appearances and zero super regional appearances
But State fans still believe that we could just go out and hire whomever we want.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
They expect excellence like we use to.
You clearly have not been following South Carolina baseball for the last 12 years. They played for three national championships in a row from 2010-2012, their coach took the AD job, and they haven’t been to Omaha since. They are not who you want to model yourself after in this era.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Unfortunately not surprising.

And @pseudonym is correct, considering the difficulty we had hiring a permanent head coach last time, we don’t want Lemonis to go now.

Who out there now has equal to better qualifications than as listed below *and* is attainable?

• promoted assistant
  • rehired retired coach
  • SEC head coach with two regional appearances and zero super regional appearances (former player)
  • SEC assistant
  • Big Ten head coach with three regional appearances and zero super regional appearances

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If it wouldn't make me miserable, I'd almost like to see Lemonis to SC with Parker and Goat and then watch the carnage for a few seasons while the "experts" tell us it was a blessing, just wait.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I assume they won't go after Parker??

Look for an established HC, maybe already ID'd??

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
You joke, but if they did poach Lemonis, a lot of our fans would find out how hard it is to hire a good coach.

In my lifetime, we've made the following baseball hires:
  • promoted assistant
  • rehired retired coach
  • SEC assistant
But State fans still believe that we could just go out and hire whomever we want.
And it wouldn't matter if Tommy Lasorda or Sparky Anderson came back from the dead to coach this team, some will always complain.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They expect excellence like we use to.
Nah, not really. Dude has just never done anything in 6 years. Comparing Kingston to Lemonis? Comical.

Full Seasons:
Lemonis - 5
Kingston - 6

National Championships:
Lemonis - 1
Kingston - 0

CWS Appearances:
Lemonis - 2
Kingston - 0

Super Regional appearances:
Lemonis - 2
Kingston - 2

Regional Appearances:
Lemonis - 3
Kingston - 4

50-win Seasons:
Lemonis - 2
Kingston - 0

40-win Seasons:
Lemonis - 3
Kingston - 1

Career Regular Season SEC record:
Lemonis - 75-75
Kingston - 83-96

The dude sucks. And, no one wants to hear this, but he’s sucked at a school and a program with more advantages than MSU. South Carolina’s history in the past 35 years or so is equal or better than MSU across the board. They have more money, a superior recruiting footprint, a bigger stadium, and a lot of other things going for them.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Unfortunately not surprising.

And @pseudonym is correct, considering the difficulty we had hiring a permanent head coach last time, we don’t want Lemonis to go now.

Who out there now has equal to better qualifications than as listed below *and* is attainable?
"WE" didn't have trouble hiring a coach. Cohen had trouble. Cohen ALWAYS had trouble. It was 100% a Cohen problem. People forget, A&Ms coach interviewed. Cohen chose not to hire him (and there were some things) but we had interest. Cohen let another friend make the hire basically. Cohen always wanted a "State guy" by his definition and that was just silly. He thought it had to be "blue collar" & "family" and a "State Guy" instead of hiring the best coach. He was completely lost in football. Basketball people had to get involved with the basketball hire.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think there is more to this story than just W/L which is why Parker bailed. They hosted a regional last year and in 2021. They were on the hosting bubble with us this year.

That’s plenty of production.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I would be surprised if Ray Tanner made that move without having someone lined up.
I thought the only reason we got Parker was because this guy had already been fired…. Only found out that wasn’t the case earlier this season. Shows how much interest I have in the fighting Don Staleys. Sounds like he was a dead man walking all season, instead.

I’m sure they may have somebody lined up, they’ve had plenty of time. But, I don’t look at this guys resume and think “wow, he sucked”. I see he was .500 or below twice, but that’s not surprising (to me) at scar.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
"WE" didn't have trouble hiring a coach. Cohen had trouble. Cohen ALWAYS had trouble. It was 100% a Cohen problem. People forget, A&Ms coach interviewed. Cohen chose not to hire him (and there were some things) but we had interest. Cohen let another friend make the hire basically. Cohen always wanted a "State guy" by his definition and that was just silly. He thought it had to be "blue collar" & "family" and a "State Guy" instead of hiring the best coach. He was completely lost in football. Basketball people had to get involved with the basketball hire.
“Next time will be different.”

Lies No GIF

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yawn.

You say all that and he’s the person ultimately responsible for hiring the only person to coach a National Champion at Mississippi State.

You can blame a lot of things on John Cohen but he’s the only MSU AD who’s done that.

He also hired a first-time head coach who led State to a surprising super regional, pulled the plug on him early the next season, and promoted an in-house interim who guided State to a WTF CWS appearance.

He made more smart and also necessary business decisions for MSU baseball than SPS people want to think.

Yes, there are times that John Cohen is indeed the smartest person in the room.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Yawn.

You say all that and he’s the person ultimately responsible for hiring the only person to coach a National Champion at Mississippi State.

You can blame a lot of things on John Cohen but he’s the only MSU AD who’s done that.

He also hired a first-time head coach who led State to a surprising super regional, pulled the plug on him early the next season, and promoted an in-house interim who guided State to a WTF CWS appearance.

He made more smart and also necessary business decisions for MSU baseball than SPS people want to think.

When it comes to Natty’s at MSU, he’s the only one in the room. *****

• Love
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Exactly.

People hate Cohen and Lemonis because deep in their hearts they KNOW they can’t loathe them like they do many other MSU people.

Jealous are they ($1)

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
I'm impressed with Parker. His developing of talent is excellent & has been proven at multiple stops. After listening to him on interviews, his baseball knowledge is very high. Seems like a baseball talking dude and i have to imagine would be an excellent recruiter. I think he has a bright future and head coaching could be in near future.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We love to bash Cohen. He definitely had some faults, but I think the biggest problem he had was trying to get some one to come to Mississippi State. We can pay on the level that we should get a great coach, but we've never had a history here in anything but baseball.
Even in baseball, we’ve never had a history of ever making any splash hires….except when we hired Cohen himself. And he obviously only took our job based on being a former player. Not a chance in hell he would have left UK for MSU if he had no previous ties to MSU.

Hell, just look back through the years:

Lemonis - was more highly regarded than Cannizarro, but still a relative unknown.

Cannizarro - LOL

Cohen - splash hire of a former player

Polk 2 - LOL

McMahon - Career pitching coach / low mid-major HC. Equivalent of just hiring the OC or DC under a successful, retiring HC.

Polk 1 - Someone who had a good understanding of the college baseball landscape in the early 70’s can comment on if this was a proven splash hire or a relative unknown.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
When it comes to recruiting the players to win a natty, he's still missed all post season twice and lost in a regional without hosting. Lemonis could've had a job here forever if he was good at it but he's not. Just like Foxhall had one great showing in post season and then fell apart and got fired.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Yawn.

You're right, he hired Canz who recruited players here. Cohen recruited better as has every coach prior to Lemonis. Canz just couldn't get right beyond that and got fired by Cohen. John Cohen was an idiot AD and anyone involved with the school can tell you so minus the boosters that pushed for his hiring. Thankfully we've cleaned house of most of those issues.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

patdog

May 28, 2007
Even in baseball, we’ve never had a history of ever making any splash hires….except when we hired Cohen himself. And he obviously only took our job based on being a former player. Not a chance in hell he would have left UK for MSU if he had no previous ties to MSU.

Lemonis - was more highly regarded than Cannizarro, but still a relative unknown.

Cannizarro - LOL

Polk 2 - LOL

McMahon - Career pitching coach / low mid-major HC. Equivalent of just hiring the OC or DC under a successful, retiring HC.

Polk 1 - Someone who had a good understanding of the college baseball landscape in the early 70’s can comment on if this was a proven splash hire or a relative unknown.
Polk 1 was a pretty big hire. He had taken Georgia Southern to the CWS. Got fed up with their lack of commitment to the baseball program and quit to be an assistant at Miami under legendary coach Ron Fraser. Then we hired him, before the season started. Interestingly, his replacement on Fraser's staff at Miami was Skip Bertman. Polk and Bertman had known each other from the late 1960s when Polk was at Miami Dade Jr. College and Skip was a HS coach in Miami.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You're right, he hired Canz who recruited players here. Cohen recruited better as has every coach prior to Lemonis. Canz just couldn't get right beyond that and got fired by Cohen. John Cohen was an idiot AD and anyone involved with the school can tell you so minus the boosters that pushed for his hiring. Thankfully we've cleaned house of most of those issues.
Who did Can get to campus besides Tanner Allen? I see this comment a lot about Can but don’t get the recruiting love.

We ended up with him bc Cohen insisted on taking the AD job in October and literally said he pulled up a list of top assistants on D1 baseball to start his search. Great process

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Cannizarro - LOL

Lemonis coached IU to three regionals in four seasons— which ain’t a small feat for a B1G school.

Cannizzaro was seen at the time as a pretty savvy late hire of an assistant coach on the rise. I seem to recall that the LSU coach was pissed off ar the time.

Best hire State could have made at the time.

Polk 2 - LOL

But still coached State to a CWS in his second tenure.

A bit more than that — Mac came back to State as head coach in waiting. Smart hire by LT & RP.

1970s college baseball was seen as a nonentity back then.

RP coached Georgia Southern to the 1973 CWS. That District tournament was in Starkville incidentally so he was not an unknown.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login