Southern Miss, Marshall, & ODU officially can leave Conference USA this year…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Southern Miss, Marshall, & ODU officially can leave Conference USA this year…

They make a dealÂ…

[FONT="]pic.twitter.com/RyR0NXQYXp— Conference USA (@ConferenceUSA) March 29, 2022 [/FONT]

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Artist's rendition of the "resolution":

USM, Marshall, and ODU: "We're leaving and clearly there's not **** you can do about it."

CUSA: "We consider this issue resolved!"

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm really ready to see how this new Sun Belt shapes up. In a way, it's like a last bastion of pure FBS college ball. NIL isn't likely a big issue at that level, as those guys will just transfer out. The guys who stay 4-5 years want to be there and care about the school, and likely aren't the MOST talented. But I like the regional rivals. I've been hoping for one of these conferences to truly embrace this sort of thing. The closest has been MAC-tion. I don't necessarily like playing on Tuesday/Wednesday and such, but Thursday could be good.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I think it will be good for USM. Playing regional teams should help their attendance some at least.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
No question. So many games close to home with potential regional rivals will be a lot of fun for them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No doubt this is a big win for USM. They would have been better off going to the Sunbelt when the AAC schools broke away from CUSA 8 years ago.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Yep this is a good fit - I’m still at a loss for what college athletics are gonna look like 5-7 years from now

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yep this is a good fit - I’m still at a loss for what college athletics are gonna look like 5-7 years from now
Not as bad as what the doomsayers think, but also not going back to the idealistic institution we'd like it to be. FBS, at least at the highest levels, will obviously be more about money and the playoff will be expanded. I am not sure what the lower levels will be like, still not sure if there is a split or if the playoff will just be expanded out to 12 or 16. I know one thing, money and 'exams' are no object anymore, as far as preventing more games. It definitely will resemble more of an NFL minor league feel. The GREAT thing about football is, it's still a physical game, and you have to play the game on the field. So the hungry guy playing at MSU from Tallahatchie county, gets to square off against a 8M NIL guy at Tennessee. I am REALLY curious to see how NIL/taxes affect these guys, I mean quick money didn't work out well for Doc and Darryl (just watched that 30 for 30 last night).

Basketball and baseball will likely remain unchanged, except for the ability to transfer. And I do think that dies down a good bit as post-COVID rosters normalize, and guys figure out that a quick transfer isn't always for the best.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login