SPECIAL SHOW: The Bulldog Initiative LLC

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And what is it?

I rarely listen to podcasts and seeing that this lasts for almost 50 minutes with no description makes me wonder if a TLDH summary even exists.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Bump everyone needs to donate to this
I got out of school at 30 years old and worked my *** off to earn what I do. Giving it away to 18 year olds, that I don’t know, to be wasted on gold chains and luxury automobiles is about the last thing that I want to do with it.

Does that make me less of a bulldog fan than you?

Granted, I have not listened to that podcast, but the notion that everyone should donate to these kids drives me insane.

Last edited:

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Look. Im all for it. It just needs to accelerate faster.
There was a post on 247 last week saying to go donate. To @thebulldoginitiative. So, i started google searching….

Website - under construction
Info - ????
Business registration - is filed
Social - a twitter account with one post that says “we’re coming” and a bio line that says “venmo here”

There is a zero % chance it will gain enough money to do anything significant until it looks like something other than a college kid with a poster asking for people to venmo him beer money on College Gameday

And i hope it happens fast

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
No thanks. I’m not getting in the NIL game.

I’ll continue to buy tickets and go to games. That’s my role.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I also have my priorities so I’m unlikely to give anything.

I’ve known Charlie for years though and he’s good people so I’m initially intrigued.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Then get ready for us to get left behind next realignment.

Because someone doesn't want to contribute? Hell there are booster and fans of every school that isn't contributing to their NIL. I am pretty sure will raise the money.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I meant to reply to the guy saying the NIL drives him insane

It’s not the NIL. It’s you claiming that everyone should donate.

You seem to know what others should do with their money.

Sorry I’m being confrontational this morning, but that **** grinds my gears.

Last edited:

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Well if folks have the means they should if they want to see State be competitive in this new landscape. We can either adapt or get sent down next round of realignment. Like Charlie said every little bit counts.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
No thanks, I'm good. Between NIL and transfer portal I'm done after going to college football and MSU games in particular for over 50 years

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm not wired in a way that I would prioritize contributing to NIL over all of the other benevolent things I can do with my money. I'd struggle to allocate my money that way.

Sep 15, 2009
I got out of school at 30 years old and worked my *** of to earn what I do. Giving it away to 18 year olds, that I don’t know, to be wasted on gold chains and luxury automobiles is about the last thing that I want to do with it.

Does that make me less of a bulldog fan than you?

Granted, I have not listened to that podcast, but the notion that everyone should donate to these kids drives me insane.
It's the world we are living in. It sucks but if we can't jump on board with this, it will get to where we aint competitive in any sport. We will get leftover recruits that nobody else wants. Nobody said you had to give a lot of money. Every little bit helps.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I'm not wired in a way that I would prioritize contributing to NIL over all of the other benevolent things I can do with my money. I'd struggle to allocate my money that way.

Yea, I can see it now where season ticket holders may need to stop buying tickets and contribute that money instead to an NIL fund. We won't have anyone in the stands to watch the games but will hopefully have a better team as we all watch on TV.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Well I listened to the podcast.

My hat is off to Mr Winfield. He is obviously a good guy that loves Mississippi State. I wish him all the best of luck.

I enjoy yalls show, Bart.

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
I am happy to report that we have enough money on hand to do significant things, and we have started doing them - but, we definitely need more, and I am spending a significant amount of my time every day talking to people about it so they can understand what we are trying to do. I know it is a long podcast and a lot of people won't have the time or interest to listen, but I shared in there in condensed form that I wanted to let people know we were moving last week, and things somewhat exploded. Internet fundraising will not be our primary model, but I do want people to have a chance to help if they are so inclined, so the rest of the things like website are coming. That being said, it certainly is not for everyone, and never in a million years would I criticize somebody for not giving. In any event, your call for urgency is felt, and we are working very hard to catch those things up with the other things we have been doing.

Last edited:

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
Are you even against NIL if you don't let everyone know about it? You people remind me of cross-fit cults. To all of you that say you are "done" make sure you keep your *** at home the next time we make a Dak-like run or are a national seed in baseball. Good riddance.

Thank you, Charlie Winfield, for your efforts.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I’m sad to say this NIL is simply another avenue for the NCAA to escape hard decisions. It simply allows MSU to upgrade from the knife in a gunfight to a gun in a tank war.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
To all of you that say you are "done" make sure you keep your *** at home the next time we make a Dak-like run or are a national seed in baseball. Good riddance.

Listen up you little piece of 'taint. As I said in my post, I've been following and buying Bulldog football, baseball, basketball (occasionally) tickets and attending games for over 50 years. I also pay for and share a spot in the LFL w/ a couple other guys. I've bought parking passes, shirts and apparel, MSU cheese, plants from the Horticulture club, bricks for the Drill Field sidewalk, bricks for the plaza on the north end of Davis Wade, been on alumni association cruises and road trips, etc, etc etc for over 40 years. I've given faithfully to the Bulldog Club for the last 37 years. I've made donations to the department from which I graduated for them to buy equipment they couldn't afford. I graduated from here, met my wife at MSU (who also graduated from here), both my kids graduated from here. I work on campus. I have been an officer in the alumni association in 3 states. If you want to question my loyalty to this university because I don't agree with giving my dollars to a fund or group that doesn't tell me where the money's going or how its spent, so kids can go out and buy as someone else said gold chains or wheels for their car, you can kiss my maroon ***. Who the hell are you to question where I spend my money or get off on telling me to stop going to games? For the present I'll keep going to baseball games until it becomes as commercialized as football which I am officially done with. But I won't hesitate to walk away from it either when the time comes and players start whoring themselves out for the highest price and leaving after a year because they got a better offer elsewhere, and I damn sure won't ask for yours or anybody else' blessings or guidance when I do.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
So do the donations actually go to athletes? I thought NIL was a business paying an athlete to use their name, image, likeness. That would be funded by a company's marketing budget, not fan donations, no?

Even if this org is simply facilitating NIL deals and supporting both athlete and business in that process, that is valuable, but my understanding is we need actual businesses to step up to make these deals happen. In other words, we could donate 500 bitcoin, but without a business willing to pay for a NIL deal, the athlete doesn't get paid.

Sorry if I'm missing something. Not trying to dismiss, just trying to understand better. I'm thankful someone is taking the lead on this.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Let me first say that I applaud the effort being given to this, and my hat’s off to all that are able to donate.

That said, I can’t help but sit here and think about how 4 short years ago, many of us were making contributions to a BC that funded athletic education while providing the donor with benefits such as season tickets, priority postseason access, and tax deductions.

Now, we’re being asked to give money so that an 18-year old can blow it out for a year or two on our dime before he bolts for another school due to getting his feelings hurt. WTF has happened?

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I’m sad to say this NIL is simply another avenue for the NCAA to escape hard decisions. It simply allows MSU to upgrade from the knife in a gunfight to a gun in a tank war.

NIL = Legal Recruiting Slush Fund. We all knew that is what it would devolve to no matter how it was spun from the outset. Boosters either pay up or the hired guns will move on to the next school because the transfer portal has ensured that every player can now be re-recruited to another school every year. NFL players only wished they had it so good. No draft, no salary caps and no multi-year contracts.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No. No business needed. This Is our “collective”. Those are the “businesses” that secure the NIL rights of athletes and then negotiate any deals. But to the athlete it doesn’t matter if they actually get a deal. They want the money securing their rights from the collective.

Its all form over substance. But all you need is form with all the law

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
No. No business needed. This Is our “collective”. Those are the “businesses” that secure the NIL rights of athletes and then negotiate any deals. But to the athlete it doesn’t matter if they actually get a deal. They want the money securing their rights from the collective.

Its all form over substance. But all you need is form with all the law

Interesting. So we donate, and a business can get a State athlete to promote their product at little or no cost? Or are you saying there is no promotion of a business's product? I thought that was the whole point of NIL.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I don't think someone being unwilling to give financially to this sort of initiative makes them any less of a Bulldog or somehow says they don't love Mississippi State.

With that said, I do think you forfeit your right to ***** and moan about us losing or not being competitive if you don't personally contribute.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
Listen up you little piece of 'taint. As I said in my post, I've been following and buying Bulldog football, baseball, basketball (occasionally) tickets and attending games for over 50 years. I also pay for and share a spot in the LFL w/ a couple other guys. I've bought parking passes, shirts and apparel, MSU cheese, plants from the Horticulture club, bricks for the Drill Field sidewalk, bricks for the plaza on the north end of Davis Wade, been on alumni association cruises and road trips, etc, etc etc for over 40 years. I've given faithfully to the Bulldog Club for the last 37 years. I've made donations to the department from which I graduated for them to buy equipment they couldn't afford. I graduated from here, met my wife at MSU (who also graduated from here), both my kids graduated from here. I work on campus. I have been an officer in the alumni association in 3 states. If you want to question my loyalty to this university because I don't agree with giving my dollars to a fund or group that doesn't tell me where the money's going or how its spent, so kids can go out and buy as someone else said gold chains or wheels for their car, you can kiss my maroon ***. Who the hell are you to question where I spend my money or get off on telling me to stop going to games? For the present I'll keep going to baseball games until it becomes as commercialized as football which I am officially done with. But I won't hesitate to walk away from it either when the time comes and players start whoring themselves out for the highest price and leaving after a year because they got a better offer elsewhere, and I damn sure won't ask for yours or anybody else' blessings or guidance when I do.

I am not questioning your loyalty because you choose not to support the bulldog initiative.

I AM questioning your loyalty because you are taking the chance to beat your chest and show everyone that you are boycotting MSU athletics over the fact that student athletes are being compensated for their services. It shows that loyalty was hollow from the start.

I am sure if you wait outside long enough you can find some kids to yell to get off your lawn. Blessings.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
All in how you structure it and I haven’t listened to the podcast but the general playbook is likely: Athlete gets $50k from the collective in exchange for his NIL rights. Now if a company wants that Athlete to do an ad then the company pays the collective. Then there may be a split between the collective and the athlete

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If I were inclined to direct business funds in this way, why not just do it myself directly and skip the collective? Are there a lot of NIL rules/hoops to jump through that make that challenging? Just curious the merit of collective vs direct.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You can. But people acting on their own are not going to nearly as effective as this where everyone can pull from a huge pot of money and determine the best priorities and uses of the money. Additionally If we want Player A the collective will likely know that and know the price point. Thats a lot better than just hoping someone offers him a deal

Every school in the country is working on this or has it. TN has Spyre with reportedly tens of millions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
All in how you structure it and I haven’t listened to the podcast but the general playbook is likely: Athlete gets $50k from the collective in exchange for his NIL rights. Now if a company wants that Athlete to do an ad then the company pays the collective. Then there may be a split between the collective and the athlete

Got it. Thanks. That makes sense. So I'm assuming some athletes will sign with the collective, get some compensation, and may never appear in car dealership (or whatever) commercial.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login