SPECIAL SHOW: The Bulldog Initiative LLC

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
Yes - a person (or business) could absolutely, 1000% do that - and we will help them work through it if they have questions. There is zero desire to have a monopoly - the more individual deals, the better. There are some people who don’t want to mess with negotiating contracts and doing 1099s at the end of the year; the advantage would be avoiding those issues and then just having some help with coordination on the quid pro quo aspects.

Aug 23, 2012
And what is it?

I rarely listen to podcasts and seeing that this lasts for almost 50 minutes with no description makes me wonder if a TLDH summary even exists.

HERE ! HERE ! I couldn't agree more. Three podcasts a day and your have wasted a full morning. Podcasts and short novels of posts take too much of my day. A written synopsis of the content would get more views. Even a full transcript i could scan and choose what I find of interest.

Last edited:

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Let’s give Charlie some credit here. Someone has to take the lead and thankfully he did. Now do I give to the BDC or Charlie. What’s gets us the players ? Facilities or NIL? I won’t do both

Opinions please

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
If he endured 50 years of the State lifestyle due to hollow loyalty, just think of the good that could have been accomplished if it was all sincere.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Then get ready for us to get left behind next realignment.
That’s just not going to be my problem. I’m with Goat on this. I’ve got a lot better things to do with my money than throw it at players who are as likely as not to transfer out in a year. I’ll be perfectly happy watching us play in the second tier vs Memphis, Tulane, UAB, Houston & Texas Tech. Maybe more than now since we’d be much more competitive than vs the gauntlet we have to play now.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Pat, no offense but that might be the worst take ever on this board. Our athletics budget would tank as would the enrollment and town if we got left behind. We’d be competing for nothing because the teams that move up will be the only ones playing for anything.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What are we playing for now? Bids to the Liberty, Belk, Outback & TaxSlayer Bowls. So what if our budget takes a hit? We’d still be more competitive vs the rest of the second tier than we are now vs the elite.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
So you ok with second tier while Ole Miss is in the SEC?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Pat, no offense but that might be the worst take ever on this board. Our athletics budget would tank as would the enrollment and town if we got left behind. We’d be competing for nothing because the teams that move up will be the only ones playing for anything.

All that is already a foregone conclusion, one way or another. The simple fact is that probably 95% (at least) of MSU fans aren’t going to give to some NIL slush fund. The reasoning will vary….some won’t be able to afford it, some will be ideologically against it, some won’t know about it, and some will fall into more than one of those categories. But guess what, 95% of Alabama fans aren’t going to give to theirs, either. Same with LSU, UGA, Auburn, etc. The problem is their 5%’s are ten times the size of our 5%. So we’re going to be at the same proportional disadvantage no matter what. You’re simply not going to get a much larger percentage of significant donors from the grassroots folks as the bigger schools. So the whales that have always controlled recruiting will continue to do so.

You can create these channels for giving (which I support 100%), but nobody is changing the big picture math. Our limited fanbase size and per capita spending power is going to remain as the unsolvable problem. The more tightly you tether fundraising and money in general to success in college sports, the bigger the disadvantage is going to be for schools like MSU and OM. That’s where we are at, and I don’t blame anyone who can call a spade a spade and not want anything to do with it.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
All that is already a foregone conclusion, one way or another. The simple fact is that probably 95% (at least) of MSU fans aren’t going to give to some NIL slush fund. The reasoning will vary….some won’t be able to afford it, some will be ideologically against it, some won’t know about it, and some will fall into more than one of those categories. But guess what, 95% of Alabama fans aren’t going to give to theirs, either. Same with LSU, UGA, Auburn, etc. The problem is their 5%’s are ten times the size of our 5%. So we’re going to be at the same proportional disadvantage no matter what. You’re simply not going to get a much larger percentage of significant donors from the grassroots folks as the bigger schools. So the whales that have always controlled recruiting will continue to do so.

You can create these channels for giving (which I support 100%), but nobody is changing the big picture math. Our limited fanbase size and per capita spending power is going to remain as the unsolvable problem. The more tightly you tether fundraising and money in general to success in college sports, the bigger the disadvantage is going to be for schools like MSU and OM. That’s where we are at, it.

That's a very good synopsis of where MSU is currently. As well as many other like msu.

Our only hope at this point is some regulations being put in place for NIL. .

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I don't think someone being unwilling to give financially to this sort of initiative makes them any less of a Bulldog or somehow says they don't love Mississippi State.

With that said, I do think you forfeit your right to ***** and moan about us losing or not being competitive if you don't personally contribute.

Most of the butts in the seats on gameday don't contribute to the BDC. Have they forfeited their right to ***** and moan? Get real. This **** is nothing more than a legal way for the cigar boys to continue dragging their feet and fall behind the other schools that actually care to roll around in the mud and compete in the seedy side of athletics. This is all above the level of the fans that work 8-5 every day busting their *** to provide for their family. It doesn't matter how many pennies the common MSU folk scrounge together, we will NEVER compete with the upper tier. Bama is giving million dollar NIL deals to QBs who haven't even played a snap. Our athletes are getting NIL deals for free barbeque. It's NOT THE SAME.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think the revelation that most will eventually get to is that 99 out of 100 of these NIL deals don’t have a damn thing to do with helping Johnny Car Lot sell more trucks. It’s an above the table “legalization” of paying players and their families to sign with a school(or keep them happy), and the billboards, commercials, etc are nothing more than a rouse to make it all seem kosher to the dominant portion of the fanbase that likes to remain naive about the current state of college athletics.

Does that mean that at least some of these NIL deals won’t result in legit advertising or business promotions? No, but it’s not what any of this is really about. It’s about getting cash into recruits’ hands without having the NCAA constantly sniffing around, and let me just be clear again. I am not at all bashing the efforts of CW and MSU here. I applaud it. My comments are geared more towards the overall state of college sports right now

patdog

May 28, 2007
If there's a split and we wind up in 2nd tier, Mississippi will be right there with us. But regardless of where they wind up, if the difference between top tier and 2nd tier for us is me donating my money to pay players, we're gonna be 2nd tier.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Something mention in the podcast. Players can't just received money for nothing. There has to be some type of business arrangement. That's the rule. (Charlie explains it better)

I'm not in Alabama or Texas and I don't follow players on social media. So..... is Bryce Young doing commercials, ....... never mind. Google answers the Q. .

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2012
So, am I understanding this correctly: An athlete can get money from a collective without being required to do anything in return? My understanding of the NIL was that there had to be something given in return.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login