Spectrum Cable waited until 7pm to pull ESPN and all Disney channels because of subscription dispute.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
ESPN News
SEC Network

FX
FXM

All National Geo Channels

All Disney channels. I'm through with Disney and Comcast. The cable company raised our bill by $30 a couple of months ago.

Wife is pissed that there's no Dr. Pol and vet shows.

The internet is ablaze. I got YouTube TV for the football, but a few things are missing.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
ESPN News
SEC Network

FX
FXM

All Disney channels. I'm through with Disney and Comcast. The cable company raised our bill by $30 a couple of months ago.

The internet is ablaze. I got YouTube TV for the football, but a few things are missing.
Yep - total BS!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
ESPN News
SEC Network

FX
FXM

Surely it was Disney that did that? They have done this with several providers to maximize the frustration with customers and apply a lot of pressure to the provider to pay their higher fees.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Funny you should mention that. I have found out that it was Disney who pulled the plug. They are very confident in themselves aren't they? Disney has been in the center of one screw up after another and this one is not going to end very for them well either.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Funny you should mention that. I have found out that it was Disney who pulled the plug. They are very confident in themselves aren't they? Disney has been in the center of one screw up after another and this one is not going to end very for them well either.
I dunno… the carriers always seem to pay up when people start leaving for a service that carries ESPN. Live sports is almost solely responsible for some of these providers still being alive. The fact is that ESPN has the rights to broadcast the teams we care about, so we’ll do what we have to so we don’t lose access to those teams. That means we’ll either pay more or pay for another service.

Either way, once ESPN goes direct to consumer, it’s going to hurt service providers a lot.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
People watch very little live TV outside of sports nowadays. ESPN has all the leverage in this situation, unfortunately. Spectrum needs them to survive and they both know it.

Reactions: Dawgg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was planning on leaving spectrum anyway I'm going to a streaming service, but I had not decided which one I would take. I'm trying to re-examine everything under the light of day. There's lots of old threads on here and information out there on the Internet concerning streaming services.

It would really help a lot if we could pick up the television stations out here in Leander.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That means we’ll either pay more or pay for another service.

Either way, once ESPN goes direct to consumer, it’s going to hurt service providers a lot.
To clarify, when you say "another service" I hope you meant a different service and not an additional service because thats not logical to pay for another service plus what you already have just to get 1 set of channels?

And you are correct, if/when ESPN goes rogue by themselves, lots of services are going to buckle under quickly.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't deal with cable companies. Month do month subscription only with streaming. If bs happens I drop you and go to another
Same here, no cable subscriptions for me since 2012. I don't subscribe to more than one streaming service at a time either. We have a limited number of channels that we consider must have's and all the services have them so if one goes up on price, has a squabble with the provider, drops something, I move on. Might take a day or two to figure out the interface but they're all about the same anyway. And I keep an antenna on the chimney just for the occasional network game or show I want to watch.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Let me just add that while YouTubeTV has had a couple disputes of their own over the years, when they do get to the point of temporarily removing channels, they do something unheard of… pass those savings on to the customer

It’s at least nice to see that if they’re not paying for the channels, they don’t continue to charge the customer as if they’re available

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Let me just add that while YouTubeTV has had a couple disputes of their own over the years, when they do get to the point of temporarily removing channels, they do something unheard of… pass those savings on to the customer

It’s at least nice to see that if they’re not paying for the channels, they don’t continue to charge the customer as if they’re available
This was the biggest argument both me and Mrs. Devil had with DISH before we cut the cord over the HBO thing. If your not going to have the channels anymore or if I am going to have to jump through hoops to get them then give me a break. I could be totally wrong, but I really believe in the not too distant future both DISH and DirectTv will be gone. Plus, there is a special place that I am preparing in Hell for the customer service people that work for DISH.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
To clarify, when you say "another service" I hope you meant a different service and not an additional service because thats not logical to pay for another service plus what you already have just to get 1 set of channels?

And you are correct, if/when ESPN goes rogue by themselves, lots of services are going to buckle under quickly.
I mean a 'a different service'... People are a lot more likely to just leave Spectrum to go to one of the other service providers than they are to email, call, dm, or mention Disney to try to get them to lower their prices. That puts Spectrum at the disadvantage in these negotiations.

ETA: What you describe here is what I imagine to be the behavior of most people..

Same here, no cable subscriptions for me since 2012. I don't subscribe to more than one streaming service at a time either. We have a limited number of channels that we consider must have's and all the services have them so if one goes up on price, has a squabble with the provider, drops something, I move on.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The first day of college football just about to hit calls and nothing has changed.

I just wanted to what all you guys know that the quality is much better with YouTube TV. The picture looks much better on the streaming service than my cable service.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login