Sport you would like to see added at State

patdog

May 28, 2007
None, we don't need to waste the money
Personally, I'd like to see men's soccer. But Cooterpoot is right. With our limited resources, we need to field the minimum for membership in the SEC. We'd have to cut track & field or golf to add men's soccer.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Personally, I'd like to see men's soccer. But Cooterpoot is right. With our limited resources, we need to field the minimum for membership in the SEC. We'd have to cut track & field or golf to add men's soccer.
I wish the SEC in general would drop track and field (12.6 scholarships for men) and add men's soccer (9.9 scholarships). Do they ever televise men's track and field? I would think Men's soccer would would get relatively decent ratings between the non-revenue sports.

ETA: Another benefit for Men's soccer: With 9.9 scholarships, if you gave 1/3 scholarship to each player, they'd probably save money compared to what they were paying to play travel soccer. So you could get a lot of students, generally from affluent families, that might not otherwise come to MSU.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Is soccer a full ride at other schools in the country?

It also seems as if the clubs are training up their own players. Do college soccer players generally go on to MLS or whatever?

I'd rather see baseball become fully funded.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

See Look Here GIF by Jaz Gulati - Protrusive Dental Podcast

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Personally, I would love to see men's soccer added. Soccer has become a huge grade school and high school sport in America. It would be great to see us offer high school players in Mississippi a place to play at the next level.
If we were to add a sport, it would likely be beach volleyball because it could be done relatively cheaply. It basically allows you to add a sport without the need to increase the number of student athletes you're providing scholarships for. And since it's a women's sport, it helps with Title IX.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Is soccer a full ride at other schools in the country?

It also seems as if the clubs are training up their own players. Do college soccer players generally go on to MLS or whatever?

It's high time baseball got more schollies. Has NIL helped us on that ?

New sport? I would LMAO if we won a natty in cornhole.

Reactions: Fritz!

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Hey, our budget isn't big enough to support everything we need to compete in the SEC yet let's add some more minor non-revenue sports so so that a few more kids can play ball. Yea, it don't cost much...facilities, coaches, staff, player training, travel, medical, etc, etc....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Personally, I would love to see men's soccer added. Soccer has become a huge grade school and high school sport in America. It would be great to see us offer high school players in Mississippi a place to play at the next level.
The same

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I literally just logged in to post this same thing. Those sports can’t cost that much to fund!! And there are so few schools playing them, we’d possibly have shots at Nattys.
There's more beach volleyball out there than you think in D1, it's mainly in FL and CA.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's high time baseball got more schollies. Has NIL helped us on that ?
Probably helped in terms of competing with most schools. But with the NIL money LSU is reportedly pumping into their baseball teams probably puts us further behind any of the really big schools that want to be serious about winning national titles in baseball.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Probably helped in terms of competing with most schools. But with the NIL money LSU is reportedly pumping into their baseball teams probably puts us further behind any of the really big schools that want to be serious about winning national titles in baseball.
Other than LSU and maybe Vandy, I have a hard time believing others are ahead of us in NIL Baseball. Am I wrong?

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Other than LSU and maybe Vandy, I have a hard time believing others are ahead of us in NIL Baseball. Am I wrong?
I’m not even sure about Vandy. With the money a lot of the big schools are spending on football, it’s hard to think many of them would decide to divert some to baseball.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I’m not even sure about Vandy. With the money a lot of the big schools are spending on football, it’s hard to think many of them would decide to divert some to baseball.
I guess I was thinking about those scholly advantage #'s Vandy has had prior to NIL.

Reactions: patdog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Have a daughter who is really into gymnastics. Went to the SEC championship (or whatever it’s called). I wore a state shirt to confuse people. It was an experience unlike an anything I have ever seen. You have four events happening at the same time. There is music blaring nonstop like you are at a club. The girls are going nuts like they are at a party. Damn near put me into sensory overload. My daughters were eating it up. As a girl dad i would really like for state to add gymnastics. Watching my daughter wear LSU, Auburn, and Florida garb is hurting my feelings.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login