SPOTLIGHT PA wins lawsuit ruling vs PSU Board of Trustees

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I thought this statement from Jay was interesting. I can't remember a trustee abstaining in the past because of a conflict of interest. Barry, does this happen often?

"And the last point I want to make
is I will be abstaining on the vote today
because as Rob Fenza kind of broke some
confidentiality on, I was involved in a
public/private partnership that was
going to bring in a neighborhood of 150 to
$200 million to this project. so to avoid
any, any, any appearance of a conflict, I
will recuse, abstain from the vote, so I just
want that -- you know, if we do a roll call,
understand that because I just think it's
important that there is no appearance, and
I hope that, you know, as we go forward with
other projects that will come before this
board, that people understand that that
conflict of interest is an important
consideration."

Last edited:

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
I thought this statement from Jay was interesting. I can't remember a trustee abstaining in the past because of a conflict of interest. Barry, does this happen often?

"And the last point I want to make
is I will be abstaining on the vote today
because as Rob Eenza kind of broke some
confidentiality on, I was involved in a
public/private partnership that was
going to bring in a neighborhood of 150 to
$200 million to this project. so to avoid
any, any, any appearance of a conflict, I
will recuse, abstain from the vote, so I just
want that -- you know, if we do a roll call,
understand that because I just think it's
important that there is no appearance, and
I hope that, you know, as we go forward with
other projects that will come before this
board, that people understand that that
conflict of interest is an important
consideration."
Historically, TTBOMK OTTOMH:

Back in the day, Ira Lubert used to (literally) take two steps out of the room when they voted to award large contracts to his RE interests.
Those, of course, happened pretty regularly.

A couple relatively small-time deals - I think one Trustee who owned an equipment dealership, when PSU was buying some stuff from them, and maybe one or two other smaller ones (maybe they bought some potatoes from Masser or something)

Other than that: Some times that a Trustee would abstain when they were being re-appointed to the Board (like the B&I folks and other various and sundry re-appointments of those folks). But that is kind of a separate type of deal.

So.... all in all, aside from Lubert's stuff, pretty unusual.

Why, in this case Jay P would abstain? Not really for me to say, and I certainly can't read his mind. I can think of some reasons why he MIGHT have elected to abstain - and its his call - but from where I was sitting I wish he wouldn't have.

Something that isn't in that transcript.
It was Brandon Short - playing dumb - who precipitated and goaded Fenza (very unethically) "outing" Jay. Now, I personally don't think there was any reason for Jay to necessarily keep that stuff confidential - but that is his call - and he made it EXPLICITLY clear that he wanted none of that discussed publicly (which, given the circumstances, what his right). Short and Fenza, intentionally, deliberately, and overtly, violated his explicit confidentiality. Why? One can only suppose.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Historically, TTBOMK OTTOMH:

Back in the day, Ira Lubert used to (literally) take two steps out of the room when they voted to award large contracts to his RE interests.
Those, of course, happened pretty regularly.

A couple relatively small-time deals - I think one Trustee who owned an equipment dealership, when PSU was buying some stuff from them, and maybe one or two other smaller ones (maybe they bought some potatoes from Masser or something)

Other than that: Some times that a Trustee would abstain when they were being re-appointed to the Board (like the B&I folks and other various and sundry re-appointments of those folks). But that is kind of a separate type of deal.

So.... all in all, aside from Lubert's stuff, pretty unusual.

Why, in this case Jay P would abstain? Not really for me to say, and I certainly can't read his mind. I can think of some reasons why he MIGHT have elected to abstain - and its his call - but from where I was sitting I wish he wouldn't have.

Something that isn't in that transcript.
It was Brandon Short - playing dumb - who precipitated and goaded Fenza (very unethically) "outing" Jay. Now, I personally don't think there was any reason for Jay to necessarily keep that stuff confidential - but that is his call - and he made it EXPLICITLY clear that he wanted none of that discussed publicly (which, given the circumstances, what his right). Short and Fenza, intentionally, deliberately, and overtly, violated his explicit confidentiality. Why? One can only suppose.
I watched that little bit of choreography during the video of the BoT discussion of the project and, iirc, it was Sara "Boom Boom" Thorndike who gave up Jay's name. Short doesn't have to like Jay, but nine-year olds exhibit more maturity than he did in his efforts to coax the name out into the public sphere.

Reactions: Bison13

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Last edited:
Reactions: Bison13

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
FWIW:

For those who didn't see it - go to the 43 minute mark of video:

Committee on Finance, Business and Capital Planning and Board of Trustees Meeting - Penn State MediaSpace (kaltura.com)

Keep in mind when watching that:
Everyone there, obviously, had been made aware of who was involved with that proposal (Jay Paterno and others), and everyone there knew that the proposal was brought forward - explicitly - in confidence.

Knowing that, watch the video again.

So Boom Boom punted.

The objective is for the Administration to consider alternatives and present the best one to the Board. Why was Jay bringing a horse to the race a matter that merited special attention?

Reactions: PSUFTG2

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
Masser, Suhey made fortunes supplying TSM with veggies and other crap, along with other BoT clowns. There was the brother in law who supplied tents and other rental things.

That scoundrelly BoT didn't care about stewardship, only pocket lining. I don't see much difference today.

Then there was the Man of Steal, Surma. He was in a class all his own. These crooked svinja should be shunned for all time.

Latest posts