Spread has plummeted

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I predicted a loss to LSU. Kentucky is fools gold. They are not a good team especially with all the injuries.

What’s being missed here is that it’s not 2012 anymore….and we now have absolutely zero advantage over UK in terms of roster talent. In the past 5 years, UK has signed 107 football players with an average 247 composite ranking of 87.42. MSU has signed 113 players with an average ranking of 87.44. The talent level is virtually identical between these two teams.

Of course, its not only the talent that matters. Coaching, scheme, experience level, and injuries also matter. And when you put all those factors together I still think we are the better team. But we’re on the road at night, and we have what will be the biggest game our program has played in about half a decade coming up the following week. And we’re playing a team with their backs against the wall, a team that had a win on the road over a current Top 10 team in the bag before a penalty and a turnover cost them. All that matters. Vegas sees all that stuff and that’s why we are only a narrow favorite. If we show up with anything less than a B+ effort, we are probably going to lose….simple as that. We certainly don’t have enough talent to win on talent alone.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I predicted a loss to LSU. Kentucky is fools gold. They are not a good team especially with all the injuries.
You are generally not a sheep, so I hope you are seeing something I am not. I admit I'm basically going with history and little 'lil ole moo u'. If you look at this matchup, this season, I think you're right, but this team is due for a let down.

I saw someone else say that this game is about us, and not Kentucky. I disagree. I think it's obvious we are going to get the B or C workmanlike effort at best. It's all about how good Kentucky plays in my opinion.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'll just say, as someone who bets pretty judiciously when I think I have some advantage, I'm not touching this game.

Just too many variables.

We have covered a lot this year. That's because we were criminally underrated and underexposed entering the season. As was our very, very good QB.

That's no longer the case.

If I were betting as a non fan I would have been all over UK +7.5 or more. Would not touch it now.

That said. I think we win by 3 to 10.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You are generally not a sheep, so I hope you are seeing something I am not. I admit I'm basically going with history and little 'lil ole moo u'. If you look at this matchup, this season, I think you're right, but this team is due for a let down.

I saw someone else say that this game is about us, and not Kentucky. I disagree. I think it's obvious we are going to get the B or C workmanlike effort at best. It's all about how good Kentucky plays in my opinion.
If Kentucky were at full strength I would put this at best a toss up but more than likely a loss. They have injuries all over the roster. They’ve been rocked by the injury bug.

The defense is going to have a field day with their offensive line and a not fully healthy Levis and the offense **should** be able to score some points.

If this is a Mike Leach letdown game, then so be it but with an experienced team they should be able to hold their own in Lexington.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
2014 was the last time a visiting team won in this series. Just saying!
I keep seeing this brought up. Are we just going to pretend we didn’t totally suck in 2016 and 2020, and that we didn’t have a head coach in over his head in 2018?

Many of the conditions that were present in our last three losses in Lexington are no longer present. This is the first time in 8 years we’ve gone up there with an experienced, competent coaching staff AND an experienced, competent QB.

Could we play poorly and lose this game? Sure. But there’s a lot more stability with our program right now than there’s been in a while. Keep our heads and we should be fine.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I keep seeing this brought up. Are we just going to pretend we didn’t totally suck in 2016 and 2020, and that we didn’t have a head coach in over his head in 2018?

Many of the conditions that were present in our last three losses in Lexington are no longer present. This is the first time in 8 years we’ve gone up there with an experienced, competent coaching staff AND an experienced, competent QB.

Could we play poorly and lose this game? Sure. But there’s a lot more stability with our program right now than there’s been in a while. Keep our heads and we should be fine.
Yeah I hate that line of reasoning too. What happened specifically vs. Kentucky in those years means nothing unless there's some basis for comparison, and generally there's not in this case. 2018 is the only thing close, and Moorhead lost that game against a jacked up Kentucky team and crowd by passing 100 times in the rain with the SEC's most prolific rushing QB, and thinking it would be a fun thing to not block that DE/LB Allen guy.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

We didn’t “suck” in 2016 or 2020. In 2016 we actually played pretty well based on the results of our season up to that point and started to come together in that game….scored 30+. Unfortunately, a combination of Sirmon, some questionable officiating, and a long FG at the end (what the hell must that be like?) cost us.

In 2020, we were still mired in the hell of KJ Costello completely forgetting how to play football, so yes we certainly sucked offensively that day, but that team wasn’t a pushover. And its not only that we lost in 2020 or 2018, we totally got our *** beat in both games.

But ultimately none of that matters. Those players are largely all gone from both sides. What does matter is that these are equally talented teams, and we are on the road.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We didn’t “suck” in 2016 or 2020. In 2016 we actually played pretty well based on the results of our season up to that point and started to come together in that game….scored 30+. Unfortunately, a combination of Sirmon, some questionable officiating, and a long FG at the end (what the hell must that be like?) cost us.

In 2020, we were still mired in the hell of KJ Costello completely forgetting how to play football, so yes we certainly sucked offensively that day, but that team wasn’t a pushover. And its not only that we lost in 2020 or 2018, we totally got our *** beat in both games.

But ultimately none of that matters. Those players are largely all gone from both sides. What does matter is that these are equally talented teams, and we are on the road.
That 2020 team was putrid on offense in that stretch.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
What does matter is that these are equally talented teams, and we are on the road.
I mean you are free to base your opinion on recruiting rankings, but the eye test says one of these teams has been pretty clearly better than the other to this point.

The way we lose this game is if we help Kentucky out. Their best win of the season was at Florida when they had 270 yards of total offense. They are near the bottom of the league in total offense, scoring offense, and sacking opposing QB’s. And they have not remotely faced a passing offense similar to ours yet.

We can lose the game if we lay an egg, I’m willing to concede that. But we are the better team and should expect to win based off our recent performances.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I mean you are free to base your opinion on recruiting rankings, but the eye test says one of these teams has been pretty clearly better than the other to this point.

The way we use lose this game is if we help Kentucky out. Their best win of the season was at Florida when they had 270 yards of total offense. They are near the bottom of the league in total offense, scoring offense, and sacking opposing QB’s. And they have not remotely faced a passing offense similar to ours yet.

We can lose the game if we lay an egg, I’m willing to concede that. But we are the better team and should expect to win based off our recent performances.

I agree that the eye test says we are the better team, but its not because of having better talent and I explained that further down in the post. “Better talent” and “better team” are not equivalent terms. If they were, we would have zero wins combined over Florida and LSU over the past 25 - 30 years.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I agree that the eye test says we are the better team, but its not because of having better talent and I explained that further down in the post. “Better talent” and “better team” are not equivalent terms. If they were, we would have zero wins combined over Florida and LSU over the past 25 - 30 years.
If that were the case then State shouldn’t have beaten Texas A&M and Arkansas this season. Talent only goes so far and you have to consider experience and depth.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If that were the case then State shouldn’t have beaten Texas A&M and Arkansas this season. Talent only goes so far and you have to consider experience and depth.

Exactly. I said that in previous post. You also have to consider where the game is being played, where it falls on the schedule for both teams, and injuries (as you stated). The median result expected when considering all of that is us winning a close game. But it could certainly tilt either direction from there depending on individual plays in the game.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Arkansas? That's a bold statement, if not a complete reach. Aggy always recruits well on paper, but the pigs have no in-state talent base and are usually ranked right around where we are in recruiting. And Tits Magee isn't doing so great without the super-covid roster he had.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Arkansas? That's a bold statement, if not a complete reach. Aggy always recruits well on paper, but the pigs have no in-state talent base and are usually ranked right around where we are in recruiting. And Tits Magee isn't doing so great without the super-covid roster he had.
Ok, throw it out. I don’t care.

Aug 15, 2011
My main concern is will the South Carolina game be the equivalent for them as our LSU game was for us. With Levis back, does he rally the rest of the team and make adjustments, or will they collapse like a wet paper bag and give up on the season? They have talent, especially on defense. They average giving up 21 points in SEC games, and I wouldn't be surprised with a low scoring game that goes to the wire.

It is odd how similar A&M, Arkansas, and Kentucky are this year. All three have struggled (or lost) to inferior competition, have a win against a team that was ranked at the beginning of the season, and have been bitten by the injury bug.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018
My main concern is will the South Carolina game be the equivalent for them as our LSU game was for us. With Levis back, does he rally the rest of the team and make adjustments, or will they collapse like a wet paper bag and give up on the season? They have talent, especially on defense. They average giving up 21 points in SEC games, and I wouldn't be surprised with a low scoring game that goes to the wire.

It is odd how similar A&M, Arkansas, and Kentucky are this year. All three have struggled (or lost) to inferior competition, have a win against a team that was ranked at the beginning of the season, and have been bitten by the injury bug.
That OL isn't going to magically figure out pass blocking this week. Their DL has been shaky on the run as well.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

And all three were illogically thought to be better than MSU in the preseason and early season.

Hope we continue to prove that very wrong.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Injuries do not usually get enough weight whenever people are looking at a team in the midseason. Arkansas was definitely beat up and nowhere near the team that started the season when we played. I still think we would've won but maybe not as handily as we did. That's what happens when you play an SEC West. Going through each of those teams every season makes you very susceptible to the injury bug.

With the addition of running the ball to this offense, I don't think we are really giving our strength on that side of the ball enough credit as we should, and neither are the other teams. I hope they continue to do so. We haven't seen a defense yet that we couldn't score on. That is remarkable to me here at Mississippi State when you look at our history of offensive capabilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I'm sorry guys, but at 4.0, I'm going to put some money on us. I 17ing hate that I'm probably going to cause us to lose to Kentucky while I lose money, but maybe we'll just squeak it out by three and it will just screw me without screwing the team.
What scares me is the probable emotional advantage that KY will have. We are riding high but they are the more desperate of the two teams and have been backed into a corner, so to speak. That can often spell surprises and disaster. Not to mention their HF advantage.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
What scares me is the probable emotional advantage that KY will have. We are riding high but they are the more desperate of the two teams and have been backed into a corner, so to speak. That can often spell surprises and disaster. Not to mention their HF advantage.
Emotional advantages last until the first time you get hit so hard you get up looking out of your ear hole. Once you get up blowing snot bubbles all that emotion is gone.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And this the best team since 2014 to play there too.

They will play hard. They are backed into a corner because of the USC loss. But Levis will be less than a 100% playing behind the worst OL in the SEC and third worst in FBS. The worst? That's the Akron Zips.
Are they the worst or do their stats look bad because JoMo has their QB trying to do calculus when making decisions?

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Damn there’s a lot of bs in this thread. Our boys will make Levis wish he’d waited a week, Will & the O will get there’s. This game won’t be close, stop with all the worrying. 3 score or better game.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

State will score thirty points with the offense alone. On top of that don’t rule out a pick six or strip-sack for the defense or a kick return from ST. That little play action game Kentucky likes to run isn’t enough to keep up. State is going to spank their boohineys.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
That OL isn't going to magically figure out pass blocking this week. Their DL has been shaky on the run as well.
They will likely get their RT back this week and Goodwin, the highest rated OLman they have ever signed, could make his debut. Don’t be surprised if they use a package for Destin Wade at QB who can ru it.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I remember how confident everyone was that we were going to beat LSU.

Nothing is a given, and nothing is ever over at halftime, thankfully for us at Auburn last year.

We should beat Auburn and the ooc opponent. It will be a hard hill to climb to get to 8-4 this year, but there's a lot of football left to play. There's just no telling.

I wish someone would beat OM because they are in control of the West right now.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
We should beat Auburn and the ooc opponent. It will be a hard hill to climb to get to 8-4 this year, but there's a lot of football left to play. There's just no telling.

"Right now" are the key words. Ole Miss is Bama's way and Bama still controls their own destiny. That historically has made them very dangerous.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

OM is likely to lose two of the next three and maybe even all three.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login