St. Nick stirring things up a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Have you ever been to a polling place where you didn't have to be registered, in the books, and show some proof of ID? I have not.

If you are in your 50's you have. We have not always had voter ID. I remember when I could just walk in and give my name, they find it in the book, I sign and I vote. **** I am really messing with you. I know you are talking in the present.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I would bet 90%+ of Bama fans wish he had just stayed out of this. AND before anyone goes off I'm not saying they all adamantly oppose his ideology just that they wish he had stayed away from politics while he was still working there.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, that's a PITA. Is it bad to have standard polling place hours? Seems like a good idea. Honestly, I don't even know what is in the bill, but I do know that we shouldn't have to figure out polling hours by local preference.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
A little hijacking here... What's up with gerrymandering? How is that ******** constitutional. I just happened to get an email a while back showing my new Congressional district if I still lived in TX. This **** is as crooked as the mail in ballot harvesting.

Old district fast growing suburbs of McKinney and Frisco North of Dallas)

View attachment 23634

Now... A little 17ing sliver of the burbs, and all kinds of other stupid **** mixed together.

View attachment 23635

There is no logical argument to that new district other than someone wanting to get a few more terms.This **** is all about leaches in Congress keeping their seats and the gravy train rolling. Those sorry, worthless 17ers all need to be booted after 8 years and banned from lobbying after serving. Term limits for Congress, everyone wants them except for the scumbags themselves.

I give you, Dan Crenshaw's district.

Just the gerrymandering aspects of the bill alone make it worthwhile. And yes, both parties do it when given control of the process.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I agree. I also have never seen anything in my polling locations over the years that would have indicated that I could vote without really living in the precinct, and being a registered voter on the voter roll. They've always required that I "prove" who I am in some way. I think it's a lot of bluster on all sides. Honestly, beyond some concerted effort in a targeted area where you could also guarantee corrupt poll workers from both parties, it is practically impossible to execute that kind of fraud. The ability to throw an election by walking unregistered voters up to a polling place is practically nil, on any large scale. I think it's a lot of political bluster from all sides just pandering to their base.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Pardon my ignorance, but a filibuster is just a symbolic threat now? As in they don't actually speak/read some bs for hours on end?

The talking filibuster has been gone for 40 years or so. Now it's basically "I filibuster"" and it takes 60 votes to override it.

Needs to go back to the talking filibuster and instead of 60 votes to override, it should require 41 votes to sustain it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I agree. I also have never seen anything in my polling locations over the years that would have indicated that I could vote without really living in the precinct, and being a registered voter on the voter roll. They've always required that I "prove" who I am in some way. I think it's a lot of bluster on all sides. Honestly, beyond some concerted effort in a targeted area where you could also guarantee corrupt poll workers from both parties, it is practically impossible to execute that kind of fraud. The ability to throw an election by walking unregistered voters up to a polling place is practically nil, on any large scale. I think it's a lot of political bluster from all sides just pandering to their base.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
I’m not going to say I am 100% certain about this. But, in MS, having a conflict with job hours is not a reason to vote absentee. The requirements revolve generally about being away from your home county on Election Day or things like age or disability.

In some areas of MS, it is harder than it should be to cast a ballot - because voting locations may be understaffed or election officials in charge in a certain county make late changes to voting places or any number of reasons. It’s not designed to overtly keep someone from casting a vote.

I am all for ID and things of that nature. But ms is very restrictive on its voting - for instance no early voting and no any excuse absentee voting.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Yeah, that's a PITA. Is it bad to have standard polling place hours? Seems like a good idea. Honestly, I don't even know what is in the bill, but I do know that we shouldn't have to figure out polling hours by local preference.

Voting wasn't meant to be served to you on a silver platter while you watch reruns of Friends. It was meant to be an honor and privilege, where you got off your *** and had a say in how your government is run. If someone can't walk, drive to a polling place, or is otherwise incapacitated, there have been measures in place for that for decades, as well, to make sure those voters aren't disenfranchised. Standard polling place hours have been, on average, 7 am until 7 pm across the entire country forever. Here's a link that tells you what polling hours are for any state you're interested in knowing about. Some are 6 am to 6 pm. Some are 6 am to 8 pm. No polling hours are determined by "local preference". It's set by state law. I don't know who told you it was set by local preference, but go kick them in the nuts for telling you that.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
In a national or statewide election it would not sway the vote enough to make a difference but in local elections it’s more of a possibility.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Anyone still backing Trump at this point needs to start finding different news sources. That man is as evil as they come.

I'm not a Trump backer. At this point what is there to back?

But, I don't feel the man is smart enough to be the evil incarnate you think he is. The man couldn't go a week without putting his foot in his mouth at least twice...on twitter of all places.

Evil is silencing dissent (Stalin). Evil is purging "undesirable" peoples (Idi Amin). Evil is more subterfuge and deceit. Evil is The Tuskegee Experiment.

Donald Trump is more of an outlandish buffoon at times. But, just because he says things you don't agree with or that may hurt your feelings or agenda, does not make the man Evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login