Stadium changes

Jimmy69

Oct 8, 2021
I've seen the official pronouncements regarding changes that have been made to the Beav...what things do you think will be most noticable and/or useful at tomorrow 's game?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
There are a couple of posts about that in the Week 2 thread pinned at the top of the board.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Astro Turf
A roof, but just over the stands
Clean Restrooms
More Restrooms
Drones delivering cocktails for the adults and beer for those who are only chronolgically adults
A Latte and Scone-a-torium located in the mezzanine
And finally.......hot and cold chicken cosmos.

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Back when I was a kid and was in line to ride Space Mountain there was a mechanical problem and they had to turn the lights on. So everyone in line could see the full insides of that ride. It looks like a jumbled mess of twisted steel. In retrospect, even that was more attractive than the insides of Beaver Stadium.

Reactions: helixville

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I believe some of those structural components may still be there.
They are there, when roaming under the stands look at the steel columns. About 10'-20' above the floor
there are jacking angles welded to the original steel columns. The angles were used to attach jacking apparatus to lift the old stadium seats, a section at a time, 20' above the floor enabling the new sections installed between the field track and the jacked sections.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Back when I was a kid and was in line to ride Space Mountain there was a mechanical problem and they had to turn the lights on. So everyone in line could see the full insides of that ride. It looks like a jumbled mess of twisted steel. In retrospect, even that was more attractive than the insides of Beaver Stadium.
I’ve seen Space Mountain like that as well! Kindof freaky and it doesn’t seem like there is much clearance in there. I wouldn’t advise anyone to sit too upright on that ride.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
The yellow line is the height of the existing stadium seats jacked about 10-20' feet.
the new sections near the field were concrete sections, the original were steel seating.
1725665192116.png

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
That happened to me too. I thought space mtn was better with the lights on.

Reactions: helixville

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
I’ve seen Space Mountain like that as well! Kindof freaky and it doesn’t seem like there is much clearance in there. I wouldn’t advise anyone to sit too upright on that ride.
A couple years ago me and my wife went with daughter/son-in-law and 2 young granddaughters to Disneyland. I was in my mid 50s and wife early 60s. The last night we decided to ride Space Mountain. We waited about 20 min in line, and as we were stepping into the car we both suddenly realized no one getting on the ride was older than mid 20s. We knew we had made a massive mistake. Long story short, we both hung on for dear life, she threw up as soon as we exited ride, I was so dizzy I couldn't move for an hour. We had vertigo for 24 hours and we had to spend an extra day in hotel before leaving. It was a sad day when I realized I could no longer ride a rollercoaster.

CoachET

Oct 12, 2021
Same thing happened to me. I thought it was very cool and made me happy the lights were normally off or I’m not sure I’d ever go on it again.

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
I would say not many visible improvements. The food has changed a bit and there are seemingly more points of sale. The self serve concessions were intriguing, but I did not use them.

They added porta potties in the North East corner of the upper concourse. They removed the old concession stand and it appears they widened that area.

for those who like Chickies and Pete’s crab fries, they were more widely available. The menus and food signs were new and brighter. It looked like a lot more places to buy beer. I had the new chicken sandwich. It was decent.

I did not get to the west side bottom level.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I would say not many visible improvements. The food has changed a bit and there are seemingly more points of sale. The self serve concessions were intriguing, but I did not use them.

They added porta potties in the North East corner of the upper concourse. They removed the old concession stand and it appears they widened that area.

for those who like Chickies and Pete’s crab fries, they were more widely available. The menus and food signs were new and brighter. It looked like a lot more places to buy beer. I had the new chicken sandwich. It was decent.

New chicken sandwich? I bet it’s not as good as a chicken Cosmo…

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92 and bbrown

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

My experience (haven’t been to a game at Beaver Stadium since Jimmy Clausen was market corrected by Aaron Maybin in real time), so not much to compare it to:

- Whatever improvements are on the dockets they desperately need some kind of escalator/elevator system to get from the bottom of the stadium to the top. We sat in SGU and while the walk wasn’t bad for me, my wife, and kids, my 70+ year old in-laws struggled. I tried to flag one of the courtesy shuttles down for them but I’m half-way up the stadium and they tell me you have to register first to use it. They had to take several breaks on the way up

- The metal detector screening prior to getting to your gate was horrendous. We were at Gate B and there were two screening queues on our side; ours went off for EVERY SINGLE PERSON which meant each one had to be wanded. The queue next to us would go several people at a time before going off. It’s worse than TSA at Dulles on a Friday afternoon.

- Concessions in the upper deck were solid - kids had the chicken baskets, and we had a hot dog, chicken sandwich, and pretzel. Everything was hot and fresh. My one complaint is it was hard to tell which stand sold which items. Had to walk halfway around the concourse to get the chicken, then go to another place for the pretzel. Each place also sold different beer and I accidentally ended up buying an awful IPA. This also led to super long lines at one concession stand (either for beer or food preference) while others were empty.

- Speaker system is awful. So much bass you can barely make out lyrics/voices. Music choice was pretty good though the band tribute to Usher was not my favorite.

- PSU Dance Team is tight; more of them please!

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017

Leaving out any comments about the physical appearance of these young ladies, having an actual dance team at Penn State is a really good thing. I’ve been to other schools where the cheer/dance squads are basically high school level. It’s kind of embarrassing really. What’s the point of highlighting them if they’re not doing anything that can’t be seen on a Friday night?

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Leaving out any comments about the physical appearance of these young ladies, having an actual dance team at Penn State is a really good thing. I’ve been to other schools where the cheer/dance squads are basically high school level. It’s kind of embarrassing really. What’s the point of highlighting them if they’re not doing anything that can’t be seen on a Friday night?

I mean, they’re very attractive but the choreography was amazing. I liked how the Dance Team worked one side of the crowd (students) and cheerleaders did the other. The clip I shared from Instagram shows how good they are.

Reactions: BobPSU92

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
I mean, they’re very attractive but the choreography was amazing. I liked how the Dance Team worked one side of the crowd (students) and cheerleaders did the other. The clip I shared from Instagram shows how good they are.

Well, yes they are. But I’m now at the age where me saying that has moved on from compliment to something vaguely creepy.

But to your larger point, Penn State is one of the places where they understand the value of a good dance squad and good cheerleading squad. Done correctly, they’re an incredible part of the whole game day experience.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Not a chicken cosmo but similar, I guess.

Yeah, it’s done in the trendy ‘pickle and spicy sauce’ style. It wasn’t bad, but I only ate ours because my wife didn’t like it and wanted to swap for the hot dog.

• Haha
Reactions: LionJim

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
Yeah, it’s done in the trendy ‘pickle and spicy sauce’ style. It wasn’t bad, but I only ate ours because my wife didn’t like it and wanted to swap for the hot dog.
Remembering things as I read comments. Notice they had a spicy version too, but they’re sold a different stands. It looks like they split the food up like that. Hot dogs at one stand, regular chicken sandwich at one, spicy at another. If your family wants 3 separate items, you need to stand in 3 separate lines.

I liked the pickle and sauce. Will ask for extra sauce next time.

Can’t really complain. They are obviously trying to make changes. Really amped up the beer availability.

Reactions: Midnighter

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
My experience (haven’t been to a game at Beaver Stadium since Jimmy Clausen was market corrected by Aaron Maybin in real time), so not much to compare it to:

- Whatever improvements are on the dockets they desperately need some kind of escalator/elevator system to get from the bottom of the stadium to the top. We sat in SGU and while the walk wasn’t bad for me, my wife, and kids, my 70+ year old in-laws struggled. I tried to flag one of the courtesy shuttles down for them but I’m half-way up the stadium and they tell me you have to register first to use it. They had to take several breaks on the way up

- The metal detector screening prior to getting to your gate was horrendous. We were at Gate B and there were two screening queues on our side; ours went off for EVERY SINGLE PERSON which meant each one had to be wanded. The queue next to us would go several people at a time before going off. It’s worse than TSA at Dulles on a Friday afternoon.

- Concessions in the upper deck were solid - kids had the chicken baskets, and we had a hot dog, chicken sandwich, and pretzel. Everything was hot and fresh. My one complaint is it was hard to tell which stand sold which items. Had to walk halfway around the concourse to get the chicken, then go to another place for the pretzel. Each place also sold different beer and I accidentally ended up buying an awful IPA. This also led to super long lines at one concession stand (either for beer or food preference) while others were empty.

- Speaker system is awful. So much bass you can barely make out lyrics/voices. Music choice was pretty good though the band tribute to Usher was not my favorite.

- PSU Dance Team is tight; more of them please!
There is an escalator in the south endzone that takes you up to the mid level right below the upper deck. We have used it several times due to my bad knees. New escalators should be operational by the Illinois game and will be at Gates A (student section) and Gate E (our section). They started fan shuttles from the tailgate lots last year and that has been great, to and from the game.