Stand Alone ESPN?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think I would go up to $20/mo if it included ALL of the ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, SEC Network, SEC Network+, ACC Network, ESPNU, ESPNNews, ESPN Classic, etc.) and ESPN+.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Maybe start with making logging in not such a pain in the ***. Then think bigger.
I'm getting so sick of this streaming and standalone subscription ********. Just went through hell a couple days ago trying to get my individual Disney+ and ESPN accounts bundled together, and then when I finally got everything set up, my kid suddenly can't watch Disney on his TV because apparently Roku devices don't yet support Disney+ with ads. Disney+ is fine, but not the ads version.

It really should not be this difficult to pay for a service and then be able to use it, but all this streaming compatibility and blackout garbage drives me mad

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I think I would go up to $20/mo if it included ALL of the ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, SEC Network, SEC Network+, ACC Network, ESPNU, ESPNNews, ESPN Classic, etc.) and ESPN+.
It will be more than $20 for all of that. No telling how much research they've already done, but I'd put the over/under at $79.99 for that package.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I will not buy it. I will do without and get me some tickets. CBS has golf anyway.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It will be more than $20 for all of that. No telling how much research they've already done, but I'd put the over/under at $79.99 for that package.
I can't imagine they're going to try to charge $80 for that. I think I got everything but possibly the ACC Network (and I may have gotten that and just not cared enough to notice it) on YouTubeTV for less than $60 a month. Certainly there will be some people that will pay it, but I think they'll make way more charge $15 to $25 per month for it.

Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I can't imagine they're going to try to charge $80 for that. I think I got everything but possibly the ACC Network (and I may have gotten that and just not cared enough to notice it) on YouTubeTV for less than $60 a month. Certainly there will be some people that will pay it, but I think they'll make way more charge $15 to $25 per month for it.
It's the old "would you rather sell 1 pencil for $1 or 10 for .10c each" question. One guy I worked for swore by the 1 pencil for $1 theory. We charged top dollar for our work, had high end customers but stayed booked for months and we did top work. I came to learn to agree w/ him, it was much easier than having multiple crews doing 10 of the .10c jobs and after awhile I tended to agree with him. I guess in a way ESPN has to weigh the same type question w/ regards to infrastructure, employees, overhead, etc. etc.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's the old "would you rather sell 1 pencil for $1 or 10 for .10c each" question. One guy I worked for swore by the 1 pencil for $1 theory. We charged top dollar for our work, had high end customers but stayed booked for months and we did top work. I came to learn to agree w/ him, it was much easier than having multiple crews doing 10 of the .10c jobs and after awhile I tended to agree with him. I guess in a way ESPN has to weigh the same type question w/ regards to infrastructure, employees, overhead, etc. etc.
I'm not sure how much more labor or capital intensive the 10 for $0.10 model is when you are talking about a streaming service. Big money is in the production, and the high dollar customers are going to be more adamant about having comprehensive coverage. Cost on the actual tech/streaming equipment and customer support scales up with numbers, but I'm sure there are some economies of scale. Plus, unless they move away from an ad model, the 1 for $1 model hammers their ad revenue.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Why? Its not even that much for all that plus like 50 other channels on YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc. The amount that the ESPN family of networks costs is only like $7-8 of the whole $70 package.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Why? Its not even that much for all that plus like 50 other channels on YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc. The amount that the ESPN family of networks costs is only like $7-8 of the whole $70 package.
Agreed, I took what their full line costs most consumers and basically doubled it.
At $20/mo, It would still be a premium streaming service, but wouldn't be so expensive that I would consider, say, Sling Orange + Sports for $50/mo.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm getting so sick of this streaming and standalone subscription ********. Just went through hell a couple days ago trying to get my individual Disney+ and ESPN accounts bundled together, and then when I finally got everything set up, my kid suddenly can't watch Disney on his TV because apparently Roku devices don't yet support Disney+ with ads. Disney+ is fine, but not the ads version.

It really should not be this difficult to pay for a service and then be able to use it, but all this streaming compatibility and blackout garbage drives me mad
Everyone wanted al a carte and now we have it. Congrats. **

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Sounds great if it lets me drop ESPN from regular TV bundles from February to August

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Disney lost 120 Billion in 2022 and hasn't changed any programming on any part of Disney Plus, which lost 2.4 million subscribers. I was one this month after not seeing anything new I want to watch since Loki. I hope they enjoy losing money. I can't believe this is the same company I have enjoyed all my life. My #1 problem is they haven't released anything new that is good entertainment, and it isn't worth that much a month for a collection of old shows and movies.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Disney lost 120 Billion in 2022 and hasn't changed any programming on any part of Disney Plus, which lost 2.4 million subscribers. I was one this month after not seeing anything new I want to watch since Loki. I hope they enjoy losing money. I can't believe this is the same company I have enjoyed all my life. My #1 problem is they haven't released anything new that is good entertainment, and it isn't worth that much a month for a collection of old shows and movies.
While I won’t personally go quite that far, I do feel like Disney became much more concerned with quantity over quality since the day they started streaming. They’re releasing a good bit more on a monthly basis than I can ever recall, but I can’t say I’ve seen much in the last 3-4 years where I thought… man, that was great.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's not worth that much, unless you have young kids. I think I pay $8 a month (that's with me paying annually), and I easily get that much value out of it. It'll probably seem way more expensive if they successfully convince any of my kids they need to lop off body parts to be their authentic self, but I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

ETA: Disney does have some low hanging fruit. I think Avatar and Top Gun showed you can still do blockbuster movies, but you have to make them good and not go out of your way to cater to niche markets. No telling how much money Disney lost on Lightyear (which I heard was bad regardless so it probably wasn't just an issue of trying to shoehorn agenda items in unnecessarily) and Strange World (which I haven't even heard if it's good or bad b/c I haven't heard anybody talk about it other than to say they're not letting their kids watch it). You can still make those movies, but they need a $20M budget, not a $150M budget.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The 2.4 million subs came from India largely they lost streaming rights through Hotstar to Indian Premier League cricket. Disney+ actually grew their US and Canada subscribers by 200,000.

Hulu added 600,000 subscribers and ESPN+ added 800,000 subs this past quarter.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
When asked on the call if Disney would eventually consider converting ESPN from a linear brand to an a-la-carte, streaming-only offering, Iger said he believed it was inevitable, but declined to say when the company might actually make that happen. (He shot down reports that suggested Disney would spin off or sell ESPN, saying the brand is too strong and too lucrative to do that.)

"[Streaming] remains our number one priority," Iger said. "It is in many respects our future. But we're not going to abandon our linear or traditional platforms while they can still be a benefit to us and our shareholders."

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I would think the new SEC TV contract will be a significant expenditure.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login