Stanford, Cal, & SMU join the ACC…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Are we back in ‘Nam? Are there no rules?
Did the B1G order the Code Red on the Pac-12?

Jack Nicholson You Cant Handle The Truth GIF

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Someone already mentioned/joked about it on here, but if they’ve done this, they should add 4 more west coast teams. Play as two divisions and only travel across country once per season. Similar to what we do with our east/west matchups. They could do it with all sports.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Officially official per Dellenger

I don’t see how these types of moves are tenable long term. I think we are heading towards a college football correction.

ETA: Is it possible that many of these schools will only have football in the major conference? I'm not sure I understand the rules around that but I seem to recall some schools entering conferences for one sport but not another.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Someone already mentioned/joked about it on here, but if they’ve done this, they should add 4 more west coast teams. Play as two divisions and only travel across country once per season. Similar to what we do with our east/west matchups. They could do it with all sports.
Who is left with any type of brand recognition? Oregon State and Washington State, SDSU, BYU and Fresno?

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
3 schools loaded with smart people, located far to very, very far from the Atlantic Coast join the Atlantic Coast Conference.

And isn't it obvious that Clemson and Cal Berkeley, with all they have in common, should be together.

Makes perfect sense in today's world.

Reactions: paindonthurt

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Man they were just trying to protect their people from the big bad wolf.
Things always equalize. They may swing one way or the other even extremely swing that way, but they all eventually will have to move back to the center. There will be a response that goes in the other direction and move things back to the center where they belong.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Didn’t the Eggheads in California pass some type travel ban to states like Texas and North Carolina?
I don't remember all the states exactly but MS was in it I remember. If it was regular season scheduled games, that is when it applied, it didn't apply to post season where you didn't know in advance where the travel was to be. That's how Stanford was able to come here for the Super Regional because it wasn't decided until the week before. But if that ban is still in place then I don't know how they could play regular season games since they are scheduled in advance unless ban been canceled or Stanford and Cal greased some palms to amend it somehow.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly what I was thinking. I can see where they threaten to cancel games over, as an example bathroom issues and who can enter them etc

Think back to Covid. Can you imagine how that would have played out considering how California and some other west coast states handled it compared to the southeastern states? Standford and Cal were both at the polar opposite of say a Clempson on the interventions. I am not arguing what was appropriate, but we have seen extremes the last few years of who will play and under what conditions.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Things always equalize. They may swing one way or the other even extremely swing that way, but they all eventually will have to move back to the center. There will be a response that goes in the other direction and move things back to the center where they belong.
Problem is the center is moving left consistently

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
titanic leonardo dicaprio GIF

Current situation for the ACC. When there stranglehold on schools is done in a few years, they're done.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When the GoR is up, things will shift. It may be an earthquake, but it'll happen.

1) 4 schools will bolt to the SEC, I think we all agree it's FSU, Clemson and some other combo of NC/VA teams;
2) Stanford and Cal probably go to the B1G;
3) Big 12 likely adds Washington State and Oregon State
4) Big 12 and ACC fight over the rest so both of them will get to 20;

So if I'm one of these teams stuck in the middle of the geographic nightmare (SMU, West Virginia, UCF), I'm thinking long and hard about my positioning at the moment. Maybe they reach out and shake hands across the table, and put an end to the madness? Trade SMU and West Virginia or something.

Reactions: patdog

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
But...but....the carbon footprint ? The fossil fuels expelled into our fragile atmosphere from all that jet travel. To destroy our ecosystems and eradicate the horny spotted toads ? The horror

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But...but....the carbon footprint ? The fossil fuels expelled into our fragile atmosphere from all that jet travel. To destroy our ecosystems and eradicate the horny spotted toads ? The horror
Jet travel is like 2% of the world's carbon footprint. Just sayin'.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Problem is the center is moving left consistently
I think the bigger problem is that we have a whole bunch of folks that are pulled so far right (not accusing you here) that center just appears way to the left. I've seen things said and done from, who I formerly believed to be reasonable, people that I simply cannot understand. I was used to seeing kooky far left people do crazy stuff. I was blind to the idea that a cultish far right either existed in the shadows or simply emerged behind the MAGA banner. It feels like the script got flipped somehow...

Reactions: Dawgg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
When the GoR is up, things will shift. It may be an earthquake, but it'll happen.

1) 4 schools will bolt to the SEC, I think we all agree it's FSU, Clemson and some other combo of NC/VA teams;
2) Stanford and Cal probably go to the B1G;
3) Big 12 likely adds Washington State and Oregon State
4) Big 12 and ACC fight over the rest so both of them will get to 20;

So if I'm one of these teams stuck in the middle of the geographic nightmare (SMU, West Virginia, UCF), I'm thinking long and hard about my positioning at the moment. Maybe they reach out and shake hands across the table, and put an end to the madness? Trade SMU and West Virginia or something.
FSU isn't the FL team the SEC wants. It's Miami according to some folks with some inkling of an idea.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't remember all the states exactly but MS was in it I remember. If it was regular season scheduled games, that is when it applied, it didn't apply to post season where you didn't know in advance where the travel was to be. That's how Stanford was able to come here for the Super Regional because it wasn't decided until the week before. But if that ban is still in place then I don't know how they could play regular season games since they are scheduled in advance unless ban been canceled or Stanford and Cal greased some palms to amend it somehow.
Stanford is a private institution and therefore isn’t affected by what California’s legislature wants their state agencies to do.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm wondering if NC State switching to be the final yes vote will have any bearing on their relationship with UNC when the time comes to make some choices in the future? Or did NC State see the writing on the wall that UNC was going to leave them behind at the first opportunity anyway?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I think the bigger problem is that we have a whole bunch of folks that are pulled so far right (not accusing you here) that center just appears way to the left. I've seen things said and done from, who I formerly believed to be reasonable, people that I simply cannot understand. I was used to seeing kooky far left people do crazy stuff. I was blind to the idea that a cultish far right either existed in the shadows or simply emerged behind the MAGA banner. It feels like the script got flipped somehow...
People like you think Donald Trump is far right.
Donald trump isn’t remotely conservative or right.

There are way more issues being caused in this country by far left than far right.

We can start naming them if you’d like

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Apropos of that, it’s good that the Mississippi State Legislature doesn’t do very dumb and stupid things. **

Let me know when they say something as dumb as we won’t let you go to California bc it’s unsafe which is actually less dumb than saying you can’t go to North Carolina bc it’s unsafe.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm wondering if NC State switching to be the final yes vote will have any bearing on their relationship with UNC when the time comes to make some choices in the future? Or did NC State see the writing on the wall that UNC was going to leave them behind at the first opportunity anyway?
I’m sure they’ve accepted their fate by now.

Reactions: Dawgg

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
So it looks like maybe other sports may be joining baseball as a club sport. Football pays the bills for everything now.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I’m sure they’ve accepted their fate by now.
It was in their financial best interests, just like everyone else in the ACC. FSU, NC, and Clemson wanted NC State to vote the way they did. That way those schools could have their cake and eat it too, by getting that revenue boost while still portraying an image of "standing on principle."

SMU is foregoing TV revenue for 9 years, and the west coast schools are only getting a small percentage of TV revenue (30% to start). The other 70% plus SMU's cut will be distributed among the other schools minus a shared pool the conference is going to keep. That's insane, and FSU, Clemson, and NC want that as much as the rest of the conference.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login