Starkville cops riding around making people take up political yard signs

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Apparently you can only have (according to them) one 4 sqft sign in a yard even though there is some crappy wording saying you might be able to have 4 signs of up to 4 sqft each totaling 16 sqft.

EDITED TO ADD:
I'd like to go on record as saying "i appreciate the enforcer who went around yesterday collecting signs because she called at least one person i know and apologized. She stated she was wrong and the misinterpreted the code".

So, good for her for doing the right thing and admitting she was wrong. Goes a long way in my book.

Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Apparently you can only have (according to them) one 4 sqft sign in a yard even though there is some crappy wording saying you might be able to have 4 signs of up to 4 sqft each totaling 16 sqft.
Municipal ordinances attempting to regulate placement of yard signs generally must be content neutral and applicable to all sign types. In other words, cities cannot single out campaign or political signs for regulation. Where such signs are placed on private property, and where First Amendment protections are implicated, the regulations must be narrowly tailored to accomplish an important governmental interest. More than likely the city can make at least a passable argument that its regulations that limit, not content, but number or size achieve some important governmental interest (traffic safety, prevention of unsightly conditions, preservation of property values, etc., etc.). Would the ordinance hold up to Constitutional scrutiny? Who knows? But who, practically speaking, feels so 17n strongly about their 17n constable race that they are ready to strap on 5 years of federal court lawyering to find out?

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Municipal ordinances attempting to regulate placement of yard signs generally must be content neutral and applicable to all sign types. In other words, cities cannot single out campaign or political signs for regulation. Where such signs are placed on private property, and where First Amendment protections are implicated, the regulations must be narrowly tailored to accomplish an important governmental interest. More than likely the city can make at least a passable argument that its regulations that limit, not content, but number or size achieve some important governmental interest (traffic safety, prevention of unsightly conditions, preservation of property values, etc., etc.). Would the ordinance hold up to Constitutional scrutiny? Who knows? But who, practically speaking, feels so 17n strongly about their 17n constable race that they are ready to strap on 5 years of federal court lawyering to find out?
Dag!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Semi-OT. Guy running for something in Madison county MS has signs out. Of course first and last name are on there, but, his nickname is so important to his identity that he put it in between his first and last name on the sign. “Taco”

if anyone on here knows Taco, please find out for me the genesis of the name and why it is critical to his election. Thank you in advance.

PS no idea what he’s running for or with what party

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Semi-OT. Guy running for something in Madison county MS has signs out. Of course first and last name are on there, but, his nickname is so important to his identity that he put it in between his first and last name on the sign. “Taco”

if anyone on here knows Taco, please find out for me the genesis of the name and why it is critical to his election. Thank you in advance.

In the Delta if you don't have a nickname on your sign you can't get elected. I remember seeing a "Cheeseburger" running for office down around Tutwiler a few years ago.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Agreed on nobody willing to find out.

Just seems like really good way to spend my tax money to send police around knocking on doors about political signs.

I KNOW WE HAVE BIGGER FISH TO FRY.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Does your political sign that got taken say f**k Biden?*****

Just kidding of course. I’d hate to be the cop tasked with taking signs out of yards
Wasn’t my sign but it is a local race.

ive volunteered to buy 50 additional signs to run an experiment.

keep putting them out and document how many man hours we waste on such things.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Vote So and so for Mayor. Spruell says nope, we can’t have that. Police must have these people remove those signs.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

This post reminded me to see if Grumpy Farmer is still on Rankin County’s School Board.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

TacoDawg, crazy redheads, & Mexican bingo cards.

That's one helluva platform for coroner.*

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016

I went to Warren Central with Johnny "Taco" Beacham...I believe he was a Constable or a Deputy Sheriff in Warren County years ago. Really good guy.....could be who you're talking about.

ETA: As for why it's important for the guy running for office over in Madison Co. to have his nickname on his election signs, I don't know but I imagine it might be because most everyone in Madison Co. know him as Taco.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I went to Warren Central with Johnny "Taco" Beacham...I believe he was a Constable or a Deputy Sheriff in Warren County years ago. Really good guy.....could be who you're talking about.

ETA: As for why it's important for the guy running for office over in Madison Co. to have his nickname on his election signs, I don't know but I imagine it might be because most everyone in Madison Co. know him as Taco.
I think he is a Black Man running for Madison County Sherrif.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

This guy is running for election in MS?

• Haha
Reactions: aTotal360 and Dawgg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Wasn’t my sign but it is a local race.

ive volunteered to buy 50 additional signs to run an experiment.

keep putting them out and document how many man hours we waste on such things.
I’ve never had a political sign in my yard before… but I do on occasion collect a few. I’ve found they are great for target shooting.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I'd like to go on record as saying "i appreciate the enforcer who went around yesterday collecting signs because she called at least one person i know and apologized. She stated she was wrong and the misinterpreted the code".

So good for her for doing the right thing and admitting she was wrong. Goes a long way in my book.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I wish yard signs would be banned completely, everywhere. I wouldn't put my own sign in my own yard if I was running for office. I can honestly say I have never once voted for/against anyone because of their trashy yard signs.
YES!

We had a hail storm last fall that destroyed cars, roofs, gutters, windows, etc in a 2sq mi area. The number of roofing trucks that drove up and down our streets for weeks(like 8 weeks every day) was insane. 17ing vultures.
The number of roofing signs in yards was out of control. We didnt put one up because my wife hates yard signs even more than I hate them and as a result we were constantly targeted as a possible house not yet 'claimed'. A couple companies offered to just stick one of their signs in our yard even though we werent going to use them, to reduce the number of other roofers coming to our house.

17 construction yard signs, lawn care yard signs, election yard signs, school yard signs, 'a hero lives here' yard signs, 'science is real, etc' yard signs, and any other category of yard sign I cant think of right now.

Reactions: Dawgg and dorndawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I like to see how wasteful the government is so i can 17 with morons like you.
Um...what? How does that somehow then 17 with me or people like me?

You paid money to buy signs so you can document how much time you waste, and you think that will 17 with people like me
The result of your experiment is you now have less money and wasted your free time...you arent very good at 17ing with people.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Local, State and Federal Governments can make any law and in force it until it is challenged in the courts. Most cases the people who are hurt the most by the laws are the ones who can't afford to hire lawyers to get the law challenged. The city of Brandon was going to change the ordinance for the land behind my house to allow apartments. The HOA said they could not do anything about it. I said there 300 houses in our neighborhood. That's a lot of votes for a city the size of Brandon. Just go get the signatures. There are no apartments.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
YES!

We had a hail storm last fall that destroyed cars, roofs, gutters, windows, etc in a 2sq mi area. The number of roofing trucks that drove up and down our streets for weeks(like 8 weeks every day) was insane. 17ing vultures.
The number of roofing signs in yards was out of control. We didnt put one up because my wife hates yard signs even more than I hate them and as a result we were constantly targeted as a possible house not yet 'claimed'. A couple companies offered to just stick one of their signs in our yard even though we werent going to use them, to reduce the number of other roofers coming to our house.

17 construction yard signs, lawn care yard signs, election yard signs, school yard signs, 'a hero lives here' yard signs, 'science is real, etc' yard signs, and any other category of yard sign I cant think of right now.
You should see it on the coast after a hurricane comes through.

Reactions: mstateglfr

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

So good for her for doing the right thing and admitting she was wrong. Goes a long way in my book.
Ah...

If the code was misinterpreted, then it should be reworded and/or amended to be easier to understand taking into account Shmuley's earlier comment regarding being content neutral.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Um...what? How does that somehow then 17 with me or people like me?

You paid money to buy signs so you can document how much time you waste, and you think that will 17 with people like me
The result of your experiment is you now have less money and wasted your free time...you arent very good at 17ing with people.
Sure i am. Here you are right?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sure i am. Here you are right?
This counts as you 17ing with people like me?
Bud, you could just say you bought the signs and the '17ing' would be equal. It doesn't 17 with me either way, but if you just say you did it and not actually do it, you would save time and money.

Again, you aren't very good at 17ing with people.

Reactions: Dawgg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Bud, you could just say you bought the signs and the '17ing' would be equal. It doesn't 17 with me either way, but if you just say you did it and not actually do it, you would save time and money.

It’s about time that you and @paindonthurt take your constant fighting to a private message. You 2 essentially ruin every thread by replying the same **** to each other over and over.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
When one thinks of the vast political landscape in these United States, policing Starkville resident yard signs ranks right there with the US Prohibition of Alcohol (1920). #DumbAsFuck

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Still here…..

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login