Starkville gameday hotels and Airbnbs prices....

Aug 8, 2022
Starkville hotels and ABB prices have gotten out of hand. We have stayed at the LaQuinta on 12 for years and its always been reasonable (150-250/night).
This year SEC home games are 550+tax 2 night minimum for over 1200/game weekend. Not viable for regular folks.
Airbnbs aren't much better. I wish we had the option to rent out our Glenn hollow apt as a student and get beer money for the semester from one game.

Anyone have similar results from other establishments?

This particular numbn*ts is completely off his rocker. 5000/night for the LSU game. GTFOH.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Exactly why I don’t have tickets this year for the first time in many. I’m just not paying that when I can sit in the AC and watch it.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Supply and demand bitches! Those prices will come down closer to time if they don’t fill up. I’ve mostly use the Microtel out by the highlands. Generally good value.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Starkville hotels and ABB prices have gotten out of hand. We have stayed at the LaQuinta on 12 for years and its always been reasonable (150-250/night).
This year SEC home games are 550+tax 2 night minimum for over 1200/game weekend. Not viable for regular folks.
Airbnbs aren't much better. I wish we had the option to rent out our Glenn hollow apt as a student and get beer money for the semester from one game.

Anyone have similar results from other establishments?

This particular numbn*ts is completely off his rocker. 5000/night for the LSU game. GTFOH.
Advice: pack your own pillow, sheets, and shower shoes and get a room at the motel 6 in Columbus.

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
"whatever the market will bear" and like many, watching at home with my bare feet propped up in AC is the best bed and breakfast on the map

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Hopefully Air BnB prices come down. Lots of high traffic vacay destinations have gotten expensive. The 30A has been mentioned to me on multiple occasions as being particularly outrageous now. I hope that tails off as everyone gets their post Covid traveling fix satiated.

soccerdad

Apr 16, 2019
My son went to the other school while my daughter went to State. In Oxford they do a 2 night minimum for $500-600 a night, the Graduate more like $800 a night. Every away game weekends they charge $250 a night. They have all gotten together and decided the rates. If the new Cornerstone Park gets running then we will get a few new hotels and that will help the Summer occupancy and maybe even out the rates some.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Ridiculous this year. Just off the top of my head, Opening game, hotel for two nights is $500. Alabama game is $600 in West Point. I canceled lsu ($452) and USM hotel once I saw the kickoff time. I'll drive down Friday. Figure something out, stay in a damn tent Friday night I guess.

Uk and Az weekends are reasonable, around $300 for two nights. CMU is $215 for two night but that is for reservations in Columbus.

With all that said, when I stayed in Nashville for business, rooms were around $300-400 a night.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Too bad Loafers Katrina Cottage Idea on the old Intramural Fields south of Dorman dient come to fruition for game day rental.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
This **** contributes to poor attendance.
As bad as I hate to say it.. no it doesn’t. The hotels will be sold out. The high prices might contribute to you and me not attending.. but others will pay the premium and however many people can fit in the hotels will be at the game.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Hopefully Air BnB prices come down. Lots of high traffic vacay destinations have gotten expensive. The 30A has been mentioned to me on multiple occasions as being particularly outrageous now. I hope that tails off as everyone gets their post Covid traveling fix satiated.
Don't worry, Seagrove had some massive fights last weekend, those rates will drop. No one is going to pay million dollar rates with this crap happening.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Haven’t stayed at hotel on a game weekend in a decade, are hotel prices in West Point or Columbus any better? Once upon a time you could stay in either of those towns pretty cheap, but this was early in the Mullen era.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
If you’re spending the night in Starkville, my guess is the lodging costs are 2X or 3X all the other cost of attendance combined.

It’s awful, and absolutely keep people at home.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
My teenage son and I were talking about the season this afternoon. We haven’t been super long timers, but have had season fix for 10-11 years now. We almost didn’t renew this year and I think we decided today that this will be the last year. It’s a ton of fun, but also a lot of trouble and everyone is older now and making their own weekend plans, etc.

My son suggested picking one away game per year and doing that and maybe one random home game instead. I told hin - sounds good to me and we can start in Phoenix next year…

Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Haven’t stayed at hotel on a game weekend in a decade, are hotel prices in West Point or Columbus any better? Once upon a time you could stay in either of those towns pretty cheap, but this was early in the Mullen era.
I’m seeing $850, $900 & $1,250 for Arizona game weekend at various Hilton properties in Starkville & Columbus. West Point is full.

It’s crazy.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I’m seeing $850, $900 & $1,250 for Arizona game weekend at various Hilton properties in Starkville & Columbus. West Point is full.

It’s crazy.
I will have to thank my wife. She booked our rooms in October last year. You can see my rates.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Arizona fans must be booking the hell out of hotels. If I was an AZ fan I would fly into Jackson, rent car stay at the lake in Louisville.

Reactions: ChE1997

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
My son went to the other school while my daughter went to State. In Oxford they do a 2 night minimum for $500-600 a night, the Graduate more like $800 a night. Every away game weekends they charge $250 a night. They have all gotten together and decided the rates. If the new Cornerstone Park gets running then we will get a few new hotels and that will help the Summer occupancy and maybe even out the rates some.
Speaking of cornerstone, there are baseball tournaments schedule for the AZ, LSU and WMU weekends there so expect things to get worse before they get better.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
I live in Arkansas 7 hours from Starkville and won’t be able to make it to a home game this year due to the insane price increases. Staying at the Mossy Oak lodges and cottages at Old Waverly is cheaper than the crappy hotel rooms in Starkville on game day weekends. I’m considering taking my parents RV down and camping so I can make it to a game that way.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Expert advice: go on vacation during COVID and save a 17 ton!

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
As bad as I hate to say it.. no it doesn’t. The hotels will be sold out. The high prices might contribute to you and me not attending.. but others will pay the premium and however many people can fit in the hotels will be at the game.
I've never had trouble getting a room except when we're good and playing a big game. The rest of the time, I can find a place for less than half what they're charging. A lot are two night minimum as well, and I get around that too. But when people considering buying tickets look way ahead and see the crazy BS pricing, they will say 17 it if they don't believe they can find cheaper.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
This is why I don’t have season tickets anymore. Coming from Atlanta is too tough. This has been the case with a lot of my friends I use to have tickets with. We are all in our early 30s and finding a place to stay is too difficult for 4-5 weekends in the fall we use to go. The dream is one day have a condo in Starkville but that won’t be happening for a long time.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
They fill up. There’s some Airbnb’s in my condo complex and every single game last season they were full. Usually 4-6 people in a one bedroom, but booked nonetheless. I guess that’s what folks are doing. Splitting it across 2-3 couples.

Also, Oxford is nearly double Starkville’s rates for SEC weekends. Most 2 bedrooms airbnbs with good reviews are over $1200/night with a 2 night minimum in Oxford. Insanity. But again, I guess folks split it multiple ways.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Moderators, feel free to delete if this is inappropriate, but this seems relevant to the discussion.

We can't make the Arizona game, and our condo is available for rent that weekend via AirBnB. See here.

3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. Queen bed in each, so sleeps 6 easily. Total price for two nights is $1,135, and that includes all taxes and fees. Feel free to message me with any questions.

I can't say that there's a ton of analysis that went into our pricing decision, but we try to price it in the neighborhood of what 2.5 hotel rooms would cost. Based on earlier posts in this thread, I may need to jack up my price a bit.**

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I live in Arkansas 7 hours from Starkville and won’t be able to make it to a home game this year due to the insane price increases. Staying at the Mossy Oak lodges and cottages at Old Waverly is cheaper than the crappy hotel rooms in Starkville on game day weekends. I’m considering taking my parents RV down and camping so I can make it to a game that way.
Let me know if you do the RV thing and I’ll recommend some camp grounds. There is nothing really in Starkville. Your going to have to stay over on the Tenn Tom or back around Tupelo.

Reactions: NWADog

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Let me know if you do the RV thing and I’ll recommend some camp grounds. There is nothing really in Starkville. Your going to have to stay over on the Tenn Tom or back around Tupelo.
Take a look at Lake Tiak O'khata (sp?). I think it's closer than Tupelo or Tenn Tom parks. Good food too (at least it used to be).

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I've stayed at Indian Mound Campground just east of Clayton Village on a baseball game weekend. It was fine. No clue how accessible it may be on football game weekends - it's pretty small.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
If you’re spending the night in Starkville, my guess is the lodging costs are 2X or 3X all the other cost of attendance combined.

It’s awful, and absolutely keep people at home.
No it does not. The rooms are all full. It doesn't effect gameday numbers in the slightest.
We are big time football. Get used to it.

soccerdad

Apr 16, 2019
Speaking of cornerstone, there are baseball tournaments schedule for the AZ, LSU and WMU weekends there so expect things to get worse before they get better.
If they are doing this they are dumb***. You do it on the away weekends.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
They fill up. There’s some Airbnb’s in my condo complex and every single game last season they were full. Usually 4-6 people in a one bedroom, but booked nonetheless. I guess that’s what folks are doing. Splitting it across 2-3 couples.

Also, Oxford is nearly double Starkville’s rates for SEC weekends. Most 2 bedrooms airbnbs with good reviews are over $1200/night with a 2 night minimum in Oxford. Insanity. But again, I guess folks split it multiple ways.
Grown-*** folks are doing this? Yall have fun...

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If you have probably 8 folks or more, almost sounds like the move nowadays is to stay in Memphis/B-ham/Jxn (maybe even Tupelo?) and rent a party bus to go to the game. Especially if you have a tailgate you can get in on.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
If they are doing this they are dumb***. You do it on the away weekends.
Away games would make much better sense. But looking toward spring, state tournament dates generally conflict with regional/super regional dates, so assuming we right the ship in baseball somebody needs to do some coordination between MSU Athletics and Cornerstone.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Away games would make much better sense. But looking toward spring, state tournament dates generally conflict with regional/super regional dates, so assuming we right the ship in baseball somebody needs to do some coordination between MSU Athletics and Cornerstone.
I believe Starkville hosted a youth tourney the last time we had a super too. Growing pains are tough, but this is all good for Starkville in that the tourism infrastructure/industry isnt built just for MSU game weekends. Its built for year around events.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login