Starkville gameday hotels and Airbnbs prices....

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
From what I understand of the park it will be much larger so in conjunction with other Starkville fields capable of hosting bigger tournaments or mor age divisions for something like a state tournament than Starkville could before. So seems the potential for an issue would be there where it might not have been before.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Travel ball style.
Always kinda got the vibe there's an upside-down pineapple underbelly to travel ball for some of the parents, so I reckon this just makes it easier & more cost-efficient to boot.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
When HD television went mainstream and TV prices went down 75%+, it hurt attendance.
When the SEC Network was created and every game was televised in full HD, it hurt attendance.
When social media took over students' lives and the cell towers couldn't handle it, it hurt attendance.
When it costs $1000+ for a hotel, it will crater attendance.

It is not sustainable. The average fan can't do it.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
No it does not. The rooms are all full. It doesn't effect gameday numbers in the slightest.
We are big time football. Get used to it.
It’s the difference between me coming to 2 games and 4 or 5 games a year. I don’t think I know anyone who attends more games today than they did 5 years ago.

I could easily spend $6K to $8K a season on hotel rooms. That’s the same cost as a European / Caribbean vacation. Those alternatives seems way out of whack, and it’s the hotel costs driving almost all of it. I can only pick Starkville over Nassau so many times.

Reactions: woozman

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Let me know if you do the RV thing and I’ll recommend some camp grounds. There is nothing really in Starkville. Your going to have to stay over on the Tenn Tom or back around Tupelo.
RV'ing to Starkville? There are several options for places to stay. They have been known to fill up also, so the earlier you get your name in the better. In addition to the horsepark and the KOA, Moreland's storage has an RV park and has been adding spots like crazy the past year. The Pines is a semi sketchy place, but has been known to have a few spots to park an RV for gameday weekends.

Reactions: NWADog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you’re spending the night in Starkville, my guess is the lodging costs are 2X or 3X all the other cost of attendance combined.

It’s awful, and absolutely keep people at home.
When HD television went mainstream and TV prices went down 75%+, it hurt attendance.
When the SEC Network was created and every game was televised in full HD, it hurt attendance.
When social media took over students' lives and the cell towers couldn't handle it, it hurt attendance.
When it costs $1000+ for a hotel, it will crater attendance.

It is not sustainable. The average fan can't do it.
It sounds like it isn't keeping people at home. At least the people who are coming in and need a hotel to sleep. Seems like the exact same numbers of people are doing this.

I personally think the 'average fan' has been at home for a long time, well before these hotels started gouging. They wouldn't be charging it if people weren't paying it.

The question is, how are there this many people out there that are willing to pay?

And another question - if we are filling hotels but not filling the stadium, does that mean we simply do not have enough hotels? That's what it seems like.

But as far as sustainability, I tend to think the same way you do, I wonder how it can sustain. But it made it threw 2008 with flying colors, and only grew. An Ole Miss guy said once on Nafoom, that college sports was about as recession proof thing as there is. I can't really question it. I mean I wonder about it in many ways - I simply can't see where the middle class is getting all this money they are spending on vacations, houses or whatever. It's insane.

I'm an average fan, and I still go to games, but I don't need a hotel. That's what we need more of, and those people primarily come from the perimeter of Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham, Huntsville and inside. Those are the only folks who can justify the day trip.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't worry, Seagrove had some massive fights last weekend, those rates will drop. No one is going to pay million dollar rates with this crap happening.

Wait....when did all that start happening? I haven't been down to the FL coast in about a decade, when did Memphis-style teen beatdowns start happening? Where are they coming from? I thought that only went on over at Panama City.....

I can't see a typical 30A tenant coming across a roving band of teens and the outcome being very positive.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It sounds like it isn't keeping people at home. At least the people who are coming in and need a hotel to sleep. Seems like the exact same numbers of people are doing this.

I personally think the 'average fan' has been at home for a long time, well before these hotels started gouging. They wouldn't be charging it if people weren't paying it.

The question is, how are there this many people out there that are willing to pay?

And another question - if we are filling hotels but not filling the stadium, does that mean we simply do not have enough hotels? That's what it seems like.

But as far as sustainability, I tend to think the same way you do, I wonder how it can sustain. But it made it threw 2008 with flying colors, and only grew. An Ole Miss guy said once on Nafoom, that college sports was about as recession proof thing as there is. I can't really question it. I mean I wonder about it in many ways - I simply can't see where the middle class is getting all this money they are spending on vacations, houses or whatever. It's insane.

I'm an average fan, and I still go to games, but I don't need a hotel. That's what we need more of, and those people primarily come from the perimeter of Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham, Huntsville and inside. Those are the only folks who can justify the day trip.
My take..... I think there are a lot of fans staying home because of the prices. However even though demand is dropping. It hasn't dropped below supply therefore prices aren't effected.

well how do I know? I don't really but I disagree that the stadium is still filling up. I would say it takes Help UGA and Bama types to fill up our stadium.

as far as Starkville, while we don't have enough hotels to accommodate 40k fans traveling in to town. Starkville has a good number for a town its size. Whatever year we beat Vandy at Vandy for the super. I had to stay in Dickson because of cmt fest the same weekend. Point is, hotels sell out regardless of city size.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Wait....when did all that start happening? I haven't been down to the FL coast in about a decade, when did Memphis-style teen beatdowns start happening? ....
when tax refunds got up into the $30k-150k range with Covid sick leave credit and ERC credit. But good news, those credits are no longer.

lanceharbor7

Feb 24, 2008
Starkville hotels and ABB prices have gotten out of hand. We have stayed at the LaQuinta on 12 for years and its always been reasonable (150-250/night).
This year SEC home games are 550+tax 2 night minimum for over 1200/game weekend. Not viable for regular folks.
Airbnbs aren't much better. I wish we had the option to rent out our Glenn hollow apt as a student and get beer money for the semester from one game.

Anyone have similar results from other establishments?

This particular numbn*ts is completely off his rocker. 5000/night for the LSU game. GTFOH.

Have and Air BNB in the cotton district if anyone is interested. 3 BR 2.5 bath. Still a few openings for home games.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
To save money just sleep in the car in the West Point Walmart parking lot and shower at the Loves in West Point

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
I’m seeing $850, $900 & $1,250 for Arizona game weekend at various Hilton properties in Starkville & Columbus. West Point is full.

It’s crazy.
I just got a 2 bedroom 2 bath Air BnB for the Arizona game. 2 nights total 600$

Maroonbulldog

Mar 3, 2008
Airbnb is not a bad deal when you have to get more than 1 hotel room. Plus paying some for the convenience of not driving far is a plus. We use them for vacations now vs hotel.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
They’ll be at full occupancy every home game. This is SEC football.
with all the hotels at full occupancy, does that make the stadium at full occupancy? just reading this thread makes me not want to spend even my corporate money on season tickets....17 that....and I have a 4 year old log cabin 45 mins away.....

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Wait....when did all that start happening? I haven't been down to the FL coast in about a decade, when did Memphis-style teen beatdowns start happening? Where are they coming from? I thought that only went on over at Panama City.....

I can't see a typical 30A tenant coming across a roving band of teens and the outcome being very positive.

I'm not sure when it started but it's not ending.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

I'm not sure when it started but it's not ending.
Better pic

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login