Starkville Summer Business Thread

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Good afternoon, let's discuss what's coming to Starkville:

The Joint, it's a Texas style bbq spot owned by the Taste group, is replacing the Breakfast Club and is opening next week.

The lot in front of Marshall's will be a...hope you're sitting down...aNOTHER Starbucks and a Verizon Wireless

The University Laundromat has been partially demolished to start construction on the new version of The Landing, which will have live music and a rooftop bar.

Tabor is about to start construction on their new mixed use development on Russell Street beside Down the Hatch.

Umble Coffee has a retail location past the National Guard Armory. It has drinks and breakfast stuff and is good.

State Theatre was bought by a group from out of town and will be renovated to be a venue and restaurant.

More when I get it, happy summer and look forward to seeing y'all in September.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The Joint, it's a Texas style bbq spot owned by the Taste group, is replacing the Breakfast Club and is opening next week.

Sounds cool…..but will the brisket be better than Bucee’s?

The lot in front of Marshall's will be a...hope you're sitting down...aNOTHER Starbucks and a Verizon Wireless

IMG_4897.jpeg

The University Laundromat has been partially demolished to start construction on the new version of The Landing, which will have live music and a rooftop bar.

Actually sounds pretty badáss.

Tabor is about to start construction on their new mixed use development on Russell Street beside Down the Hatch.

Hooray for more condos I assume.

Umble Coffee has a retail location past the National Guard Armory. It has drinks and breakfast stuff and is good.

Seems like its worth a look.

State Theatre was bought by a group from out of town and will be renovated to be a venue and restaurant.

Wow….what a unique concept that’s never been tried before***

This time, at least it won’t be locals going bankrupt trying to turn that colossal money pit into something profitable.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Sounds cool…..but will the brisket be better than Bucee’s?
John Candy No GIF by Laff

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
This time, at least it won’t be locals going bankrupt trying to turn that colossal money pit into something profitable.
Why does it always fail? What are previous owners doing wrong? The couple times I went (it was closed most of my career) it was packed.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Why does it always fail? What are previous owners doing wrong? The couple times I went (it was closed most of my career) it was packed.
I have to think parking is part of the problem. I know when I lived in Starkville, I rarely did anything on Main St because of that.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Its one of the great mysteries of life. It seemed to have some streaks of success when operated exclusively as a bar. But I think there are two major issues that kept it from ever taking off:

1) Tremendous overhead cost. The building is huge and expensive, very high lease price, and heating and cooling it costs a fortune due to its age and how it is built. Also the layout with like 3 or 4 different isolated bars and levels requires a lot of bartenders, bar backs, waitresses, and management to keep it rolling on any given busy night. And you gotta have those same people scheduled every night even when its expected to be dead.

2) Starkville’s continual lack of being able to develop a local music scene or even music culture that could support local and regional bands performing live shows. The business model for that location just makes zero sense if you aren’t tapping into that element. When I finishing up at MSU, it was either Doe’s or whatever came after Doe’s. They were able to pull a few decent semi-national acts like Cross Canadian Ragweed and Robert Earle Keen. But you can’t bank on those types of acts coming through every week or even every other week….have to be able to get local MS bands and even other smaller acts. Whoever the owners were folded soon after and the next several folks tried to make it a dumbáss knockoff of Rick’s where they just blared rap music and had waitresses handing out test tube shots. Never had a chance.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I tell ya what... the UGA fans didn't have any problem finding a way to party on Main Street last season.

I'm sure there are some obstacles to having a good time downtown. However I think it's mostly just personal preference by locals.

I know Rosey Baby host a number of events for the Greeks.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
2) Starkville’s continual lack of being able to develop a local music scene or even music culture that could support local and regional bands performing live shows. The business model for that location just makes zero sense if you aren’t tapping into that element. When I finishing up at MSU, it was either Doe’s or whatever came after Doe’s. They were able to pull a few decent semi-national acts like Cross Canadian Ragweed and Robert Earle Keen. But you can’t bank on those types of acts coming through every week or even every other week….have to be able to get local MS bands and even other smaller acts. Whoever the owners were folded soon after and the next several folks tried to make it a dumbáss knockoff of Rick’s where they just blared rap music and had waitresses handing out test tube shots. Never had a chance.

Preach.

Maybe it can be to Starkville something close to what the Lyric is to Oxford.

Ricks is doing the live music scene now and is doing a good job of it. Damn, I went through 30 years to early.

They aren’t doing a bad imitation of the late lamented Thirsty Hippo.

But Starkville needs to develop a music scene.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ricks is doing the live music scene now and is doing a good job of it. Damn, I went through 30 years to early.

Rick’s has been doing the live music scene for a long time. They do a great job of making money. Which, unfortunately, entails them booking trashy *** bro country acts that bring out the simps in droves. A big part of Starkville’s problem is way too many people who don’t look beyond the local FM stations for decent music….both college students and otherwise.

Places like Rick’s and the State Theater certainly could coexist with the acts that they both need to thrive….IF you could develop a following for the mid-sized acts of various genres that would do well at the State Theater.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
To each their own
Yep. I’m glad they got Morgan Wade.

That’s a good booking.

Starkville music scene though is horrible.

The State will need someone who can not only book acts but also get enough private events to keep the facility busy.

I mean — geez — Amy Grant, Switchfoot, & Greensky Bluegrass are playing the Saenger in Hattiesburg this year.

Rick’s has been doing the live music scene for a long time. They do a great job of making money. Which, unfortunately, entails them booking trashy *** bro country acts that bring out the simps in droves. A big part of Starkville’s problem is way too many people who don’t look beyond the local FM stations for decent music….both college students and otherwise.

Places like Rick’s and the State Theater certainly could coexist with the acts that they both need to thrive….IF you could develop a following for the mid-sized acts of various genres that would do well at the State Theater.

Truth.

kphall11

Apr 8, 2013
😂😂😂

The Lyric had Bela Fleck and the Black Keys the past couple years.

Rick’s - God bless them - has had good performers but not anyone like those two acts.

They do have Morgan Wade playing next month.

That’s a good booking.
Rick’s had Lainey Wilson earlier this year as well.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Segmenting our small going-out population hasn’t worked since the Cotton District expanded. We don’t have the people to support a Cotton District scene and a downtown scene.

Find a place for a parking garage downtown and make State Theater a restaurant that plays classic football games and has away game watch parties. Also they can occasionally host bands and special events like the Lyric.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
But I don’t know if she’d be booked if not for her “heart” like a truck.

There. Fixed it for you.

Eh. Generational.

People are introduced to acts via different ways.

I’d have never heard of Lainey if not for Hardy and this group’s fascination of him because he likes State.

And both Truck songs were number 2 on the charts. And I thought Hardy’s duet with her was really good.

Making money is usually why you go into business.

Yep.

But generally venues don’t want to put all their money into dreck unless…

The scene is high in dreck.

Segmenting our small going-out population hasn’t worked since the Cotton District expanded. We don’t have the people to support a Cotton District scene and a downtown scene.

Eh. I don’t know if it’s segmentation. You can have a clientele that just likes good music — no matter the venue.

I’ve been to shows on consecutive nights in Hattiesburg and Oxford at different places— with good music.

Find a place for a parking garage downtown and make State Theater a restaurant that plays classic football games and has away game watch parties. Also they can occasionally host bands and special events like the Lyric.

Yep.

I don’t know if a parking garage is necessary but I like what you’re saying here.

Away game and Big game watch parties would be great.
Hosting bands - also fantastic.
Special events - The venue needs those too. Especially in the summer. I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes the wedding or reception venue route that time of year.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I went to The Cafe earlier this week and the doors of State Theater were painted w/ "State Theatre Restaurant" and the other w/ "State Theatre Lounge" Is that leftovers from the last failed attempt at operating in that building or is that a teaser for the new? Hours for restaurant said 4-10 and Lounge 4-1:00 a.m.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What is this I am hearing about them turning parts of Main St, into outdoor seating and eating?
That's a Lynn Spruill inspired project, lots of behind the scenes gnashing of teeth about it. All the restaurants want the eating space but all aren't going to get it. Others are complaining about losing parking spaces to eating spaces. My 10 day forecast for Starkville shows 100'+ degrees for each of the next 10 days which brings into question how many actual days/months per year will there be demand for outdoor eating areas unless they are going to cover them and have fans/misters to help? Then, what about January-March when it cold and rainy? Madam Mayor claims no lost parking spaces but how do you develop those areas w/out losing spaces? And for those that haven't been here lately Main St is a mess right now. They've been putting in new water lines all over it and Phase 2 will start soon and that's new sewer lines. Right now its just been trenched and slag/crushed granite put back over where they've trenched, its a dusty hot mess right now.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have to think parking is part of the problem. I know when I lived in Starkville, I rarely did anything on Main St because of that.
Hopefully with the ease of Uber and more people living in the cotton district and closer to downtown, parking is not as big of an issue. I was there from 2004-2008 and I agree parking was an issue. My last 2 years I lived in the cotton district and typically walked downtown if we went there.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Good afternoon, let's discuss what's coming to Starkville:

More when I get it, happy summer and look forward to seeing y'all in September.
What?!!? no world of beer?!? no gingerman?!! no howl at the moon? no dueling piano bar!? no comedy club?!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I used to regularly attend blues at Ricks way back when. Music scene then was Ricks in Starkville or The Club in Columbus, not to be confused with Club45 in Columbus where I ended up the first time I tried to find The Club. Keep in mind there was no cell phone or GPS to tell you anything so you just randomly drive to Columbus because you've heard The Club was the place to go because it was Ladies Night.

Let's just say that Club45 was quite possibly the bar that DAC was singing about in "Uneasy Rider". They found a dead body in the ditch in front of Club45 the week after we briefly stopped in and subsequently hurried out.

ETA: I think it was actually the 45 Club. Thanks Google for filling in my faulty memory!

ETA2: found an online pic of The Club; times have changed. I can't imagine today's college kids driving to a place like this to dance in 2 inches of beer

ETA3: the picture makes it look nice. it was so crappy that it met its demise when the local fire department burned it down for practice

1690469372657.png

Last edited:

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Hopefully with the ease of Uber and more people living in the cotton district and closer to downtown, parking is not as big of an issue. I was there from 2004-2008 and I agree parking was an issue. My last 2 years I lived in the cotton district and typically walked downtown if we went there.
Lack of parking is an argument that I rarely buy. People will go to Athens/NOLA/Charleston/Savannah etc., park and walk all over town and rave about how awesome it is. But, at home/Starkville, they will ***** if they can't park in front of the downtown business they want to visit at peak hours. Walk your fat *** a block and quit bitching that your downtown is good enough to attract people and businesses.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Lack of parking is an argument that I rarely buy. People will go to Athens/NOLA/Charleston/Savannah etc., park and walk all over town and rave about how awesome it is. But, at home/Starkville, they will ***** if they can't park in front of the downtown business they want to visit at peak hours. Walk your fat *** a block and quit bitching that your downtown is good enough to attract people and businesses.
Students complain about the "parking problem" on campus. There is plenty of parking available to those willing to get to campus at 8am or those willing to walk a quarter mile to class.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yep I cant think of anywhere that’s cool where it’s easy to park.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
That's a Lynn Spruill inspired project, lots of behind the scenes gnashing of teeth about it. All the restaurants want the eating space but all aren't going to get it. Others are complaining about losing parking spaces to eating spaces. My 10 day forecast for Starkville shows 100'+ degrees for each of the next 10 days which brings into question how many actual days/months per year will there be demand for outdoor eating areas unless they are going to cover them and have fans/misters to help? Then, what about January-March when it cold and rainy? Madam Mayor claims no lost parking spaces but how do you develop those areas w/out losing spaces? And for those that haven't been here lately Main St is a mess right now. They've been putting in new water lines all over it and Phase 2 will start soon and that's new sewer lines. Right now its just been trenched and slag/crushed granite put back over where they've trenched, its a dusty hot mess right now.
I know there was also mention of a parking garage, so if she's claiming no lost parking that has to be what she is falling back on. Same number of spaces, but some are nowhere near where you want to go. If I were a business on Main St and all my parking got torn up to place a damn picnic table and a rose bush and people that wanted to visit my business had to park other end of Main in a garage and walk I would be 9 kinds of pissed.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Students complain about the "parking problem" on campus. There is plenty of parking available to those willing to get to campus at 8am or those willing to walk a quarter mile to class.
Well - State has definitely moved parking to the campus boonies compared to what it was like when I was there in the early 90s. But, there also wasn't a campus shuttle bus either. I don't know of a single D1 school that doesn't have student complaints about parking.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison that people don't want to walk. In larger cities such as Athens/NOLA/Charleston/Savannah you have designated parking areas. You know where you can park and account for that in your travel time. People don't mind the walk if they know where they can park on a regular bases.

The problem with Starkville is there no centralized parking areas. You have to spend 15 - 20 mins driving around trying to find a random place to park. I will stand by my opinion that the city did not have the foresight to make the developers fund a centralized parking garage. Without one the whole area will remain stagnant or keep going down.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login