Starkville Summer Business Thread

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Let's just say that Club45 was quite possibly the bar that DAC was singing about in "Uneasy Rider". They found a dead body in the ditch in front of Club45 the week after we briefly stopped in and subsequently hurried out.
CD wrote and sang "Uneasy Rider." Worthless trivia, the bar in Uneasy Rider was the "Dew Drop Inn," after the song was released, several "hole in the wall" bars opened or "rebranded" as Dew Drop Inn.

More worthless information, in the original song he threw the man a $20, but in a letter versions he raised it to $50

Last edited:
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I went to The Cafe earlier this week and the doors of State Theater were painted w/ "State Theatre Restaurant" and the other w/ "State Theatre Lounge" Is that leftovers from the last failed attempt at operating in that building or is that a teaser for the new? Hours for restaurant said 4-10 and Lounge 4-1:00 a.m.
My grand idea is to turn The Starkville Cafe into a "parents bar" (after it closes at 2pm) on game day weekends.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My grand idea is to turn The Starkville Cafe into a "parents bar" (after it closes at 2pm) on game day weekends.
They are turning it into "Baby Ducks Fish Camp" on Thrs and Fri nights now. They turn down the lights, fill up the salad bar cart and serve a limited menu of fried shrimp, steak, burger, catfish and maybe another entree or two. I haven't tried the steak but the catfish, shrimp, and burgers have been really good.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison that people don't want to walk. In larger cities such as Athens/NOLA/Charleston/Savannah you have designated parking areas. You know where you can park and account for that in your travel time. People don't mind the walk if they know where they can park on a regular bases.

The problem with Starkville is there no centralized parking areas. You have to spend 15 - 20 mins driving around trying to find a random place to park. I will stand by my opinion that the city did not have the foresight to make the developers fund a centralized parking garage. Without one the whole area will remain stagnant or keep going down.
I've lived in Starkville for almost 10 years now and I haven't spent a grand total of "15-20 minutes driving around trying to find a ramdom place to park" in those 10 years

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Well - State has definitely moved parking to the campus boonies compared to what it was like when I was there in the early 90s. But, there also wasn't a campus shuttle bus either. I don't know of a single D1 school that doesn't have student complaints about parking.
The parking on campus was the whole reason I decided to get a place in the cotton district. I figured if I were going to walk half a mile to class I should just do it from my house or ride my bike. Worked out great. But I enjoy walking, when I graduated from state I found I missed my walk from my house to campus.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They are turning it into "Baby Ducks Fish Camp" on Thrs and Fri nights now. They turn down the lights, fill up the salad bar cart and serve a limited menu of fried shrimp, steak, burger, catfish and maybe another entree or two. I haven't tried the steak but the catfish, shrimp, and burgers have been really good.
sounds good! They will kill it during home games. They already ill it for breakfast.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Making money is usually why you go into business.

Of course it is. However, its unfortunate that the way to make money in Starkville’s music scene involves appealing to the lowest common denominator of musical taste there is. That’s a Starkville / MSU problem….not a Rick’s problem. They’re no different than the title loan place that opens in the ghetto….they know where their bread is buttered.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Of course it is. However, its unfortunate that the way to make money in Starkville’s music scene involves appealing to the lowest common denominator of musical taste there is. That’s a Starkville / MSU problem….not a Rick’s problem. They’re no different than the title loan place that opens in the ghetto….they know where their bread is buttered.
uh, isn't this the world works? Who would bring in act that would only sell a few tickets?

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
uh, isn't this the world works? Who would bring in act that would only sell a few tickets?

You wouldn’t. Did you even read my post?

The fact that śhitty music is the only thing that sells tickets in Starkville is the problem. I by no means blame the people selling the tickets for that.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

The fact that śhitty music is the only thing that sells tickets in Starkville is the problem. I by no means blame the people selling the tickets for that.
it is what it is, Starkvegas is not Athens or Chapel Hill, Happy Valley or Palo Alto, what do you expect? I'm assuming Rap/Hip Hop, Taylor Swift type music and country is what sells in Starkville (and much of the country).

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Rick’s has been doing the live music scene for a long time. They do a great job of making money. Which, unfortunately, entails them booking trashy *** bro country acts that bring out the simps in droves. A big part of Starkville’s problem is ....
Good grief....... I don't know you people.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

No. You have a problem. But most of other people don't.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Nah, I personally have no problem whatsoever. I don’t live there anymore, so I can see whatever good or awful music I want in my choice of multiple bigger markets that are nearby.

I simply want to see as many Starkville businesses succeed as possible. And there’s one prominent one that needs help from the actual citizens and students in order to reach its full potential….as well as owners who are willing to roll the dice on marketing it as a more regional / independent music venue.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
it is what it is, Starkvegas is not Athens or Chapel Hill, Happy Valley or Palo Alto, what do you expect? I'm assuming Rap/Hip Hop, Taylor Swift type music and country is what sells in Starkville (and much of the country).

Of course its not….but it could conceivably be on par musically with at least Oxford, Hattiesburg, or Tuscaloosa if it rebranded just a little bit. None of those places are cultural meccas of any sort, but they are all getting way better acts on the reg.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
The parking on campus was the whole reason I decided to get a place in the cotton district. I figured if I were going to walk half a mile to class I should just do it from my house or ride my bike. Worked out great. But I enjoy walking, when I graduated from state I found I missed my walk from my house to campus.
No doubt - I knew a lot of folks that did the same. I live half a mile from my office now, and I hate this time of year when it is too damn hot (and full of afternoon thunderstorms) and I can't bike or walk to work.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The people w/ ****** music tastes are the problem? They are all wrong and you are right and they should be listening to what you listen to? I just want to make sure I'm following correctly?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Rick's problem is that they're beating the Dead Starkville Music Scene with Country Music...

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

Most of it is bad.

But there are occasional good acts. Joshua Ray Walker performed there this past November (I didn't go-- I waited until he made it down to Duling but if it was the only Mississippi show he'd have during last fall's tour I'd have found a way to make it there). He only had the best singing performance out of anyone I saw last year.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I've not laughed so much for a long time.

I've often said that the best thing culturally about Mississippi State University is Meridian.

The Riley Center >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rick's

Of course its not….but it could conceivably be on par musically with at least Oxford, Hattiesburg, or Tuscaloosa if it rebranded just a little bit. None of those places are cultural meccas of any sort, but they are all getting way better acts on the reg.

Exactly.

Greensky Bluegrass is playing Hattiesburg later this year. I bought a ticket to see them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The people w/ ****** music tastes are the problem? They are all wrong and you are right and they should be listening to what you listen to? I just want to make sure I'm following correctly?

The fact that they are the only marketable music taste is the problem. There is no diversity in the live music scene in Starkville, period. Totally good with me if Rick’s keeps making money, they keep getting to go see whoever, and so forth. But there need to be more options. Tons of MSU students are regularly driving over to Oxford / Tuscaloosa / Hattiesburg / Jackson and elsewhere to catch decent touring bands from the southeast….and that’s a problem.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
This argument has been going on forever. Had it many times in college when booking bands for party weekends. Part of the chapter wanted a "good band" and another part wanted a "fun band". With-out fail the night the "good band" played there would be a bunch a dudes and a few hairy armpit girls "shaking bones" on the dance floor, and the night the "fun band" played the floor would be packed with sorority girls. Bars are no different in a small market. There are only so many dollars to go around; guys spend money and how do you get guys to spend money...pack it with girls....thus popular music. There is a reason "bro country" bands fly private while these other "great touring bands" still live out of an 1985 tour bus. Not being a dick, it's just how the business model works.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
is there any update on the old Vowells?
It has been gutted, completely. I was at Newks a couple weeks ago and the Vowells parking lot was about 25% full of construction debris, a massive amount. I'm guessing they were taking that 2nd floor on the West end down and maybe jacking some floor, not sure. A week later I was driving by and it was all gone though. No new construction at all had started on inside that I could tell.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This argument has been going on forever. Had it many times in college when booking bands for party weekends. Part of the chapter wanted a "good band" and another part wanted a "fun band". With-out fail the night the "good band" played there would be a bunch a dudes and a few hairy armpit girls "shaking bones" on the dance floor, and the night the "fun band" played the floor would be packed with sorority girls. Bars are no different in a small market. There are only so many dollars to go around; guys spend money and how do you get guys to spend money...pack it with girls....thus popular music. There is a reason "bro country" bands fly private while these other "great touring bands" still live out of an 1985 tour bus. Not being a dick, it's just how the business model works.

Except you can have the good band AND the fun band….that is the point. Starkville isn’t a fraternity house that only gets to pick one act every 3 or 4 weekends in the fall. Its a city with 50,000+ residents for 9 months out of the year, about half of which are regularly going out and drinking / spending money on the weekends and during the week. Again, Oxford and even Hattiesburg have both figured this out. Neither of those are big markets either.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Except you can have the good band AND the fun band….that is the point. Starkville isn’t a fraternity house that only gets to pick one act every 3 or 4 weekends in the fall. Its a city with 50,000+ residents for 9 months out of the year, about half of which are regularly going out and drinking / spending money on the weekends and during the week. Again, Oxford and even Hattiesburg have both figured this out. Neither of those are big markets either.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

It ain't Rocket Science.

If Oxford can figure this out - AND NOT HAVE A TARGET - so can Starkville.

man dollar GIF

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
If this is the case how dose one implement in Starkville (honest question)? My personal belief is, it's good in theory but much more difficult to execute, and not as many students "go out" in Starkville as in Oxford.
Along the same lines....anyone remember Beanland (sp?) that played in Starkville often in the early 90's?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If this is the case how dose one implement in Starkville (honest question)? My personal belief is, it's good in theory but much more difficult to execute, and not as many students "go out" in Starkville as in Oxford.
Along the same lines....anyone remember Beanland (sp?) that played in Starkville often in the early 90's?

Yes, I'm glib.

But it's not as if Starkville ever provided people with entertainment choices when I was a student.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Well for starters, you need at least one high end venue (State Theater), and you need owners of said venue who actually give a crap and are willing and financially able to commit to it.

This means taking a risk. It means carving out a salaried / benefits position for a legit promoter and booking agent to bring quality acts to the venue. And not just someone who graduated from MSU with a Communications degree and loves the Dawgs and Starkville….talking about legit experienced person who went to school for a degree in the music business, and/or has relevant experience and connections from a big music town like Austin, Nashville, etc.

It means front end capital to get some big performers in early to get the ball rolling. Perhaps more capital to renovate the building and improve its infrastructure.

Also means creativity. Bread and butter should be local / regional bands….but bigger acts are welcome. Go after every kind of act / genre. Rock, Americana, Country, Indie, DJ’s, hip-hop and R&B. Book stuff like dueling piano’s, good cover bands like Blackjacket Symphony and others. And so forth.

Most of all, owners have to take the approach of make it succeed as a live music mecca, or die trying. If its just another “yeah we’ll book some bands and stuff but if that’s too hard its OK we’ll just do club stuff on the off nights….IDK”. That śhit will fail just like it has 10 times before.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
But there are occasional good acts. Joshua Ray Walker performed there this past November (I didn't go-- I waited until he made it down to Duling but if it was the only Mississippi show he'd have during last fall's tour I'd have found a way to make it there). He only had the best singing performance out of anyone I saw last year.

I bet he performed in front of 37 people on the Wednesday of finals week. My experience with Rick’s….there always seemed to be an inverse relationship between talent of the performer and attendance.

• Haha

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Why does it always fail? What are previous owners doing wrong? The couple times I went (it was closed most of my career) it was packed.
Too big.

need to section it off.

couple of apartments upstairs

make part of the bottom retail.

don’t know the answer but it’s big. Rent is high bc it’s big. Bills are high bc it’s big.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Is that high for a commercial space there? What’s the market rate in the area?
Probably low per sqft but $14,000 a month in rent is gonna need $1.2 million in sales minimum to make money.

Plus it’s old and I’m sure bills are high.

$23,000 a week isn’t easy in a town like Starkville. Doable but not easy.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I bet he performed in front of 37 people on the Wednesday of finals week. My experience with Rick’s….there always seemed to be an inverse relationship between talent of the performer and attendance.
Close. Really close.

It was the week before Thanksgiving on a Wednesday the 16th. The first of four consecutive nights he played in Mississippi.

Thursday the 17th - Hey Joe’s in Merigold.
Friday the 18th - Proud Larry’s in Oxford.
Saturday the 19th - Duling Hall in Jackson.

I was disappointed in the Jackson crowd (many of my friends were seeing Kenny Brown and Alvin Youngblood Hart at Martin’s at the same time).

But there were several folks from out of state at the show— and just about everyone who was there was there to listen because Joshua has a great reputation as a singer and songwriter.

And he loved the audience because we were paying attention to him and not talking during the show.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Well for starters, you need at least one high end venue (State Theater), and you need owners of said venue who actually give a crap and are willing and financially able to commit to it.

This means taking a risk. It means carving out a salaried / benefits position for a legit promoter and booking agent to bring quality acts to the venue. And not just someone who graduated from MSU with a Communications degree and loves the Dawgs and Starkville….talking about legit experienced person who went to school for a degree in the music business, and/or has relevant experience and connections from a big music town like Austin, Nashville, etc.

It means front end capital to get some big performers in early to get the ball rolling. Perhaps more capital to renovate the building and improve its infrastructure.

Also means creativity. Bread and butter should be local / regional bands….but bigger acts are welcome. Go after every kind of act / genre. Rock, Americana, Country, Indie, DJ’s, hip-hop and R&B. Book stuff like dueling piano’s, good cover bands like Blackjacket Symphony and others. And so forth.

Most of all, owners have to take the approach of make it succeed as a live music mecca, or die trying. If its just another “yeah we’ll book some bands and stuff but if that’s too hard its OK we’ll just do club stuff on the off nights….IDK”. That śhit will fail just like it has 10 times before.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I’d also add as possibilities:

1. Go for wedding receptions during the summer.

2. If you have a huge enough space— why not banquets or business functions during the day too? Geez… The Riley Center does that.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Anyone know what's going in at the old Pizza Hut? There is some re-modeling going on there.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
Oxford’s demographics play a large role in the success of their non-mainstream music draw. The Lyric, Proud Larry’s, etc. get these “talented” acts that y’all want, and they draw good crowds in a town that loves the alt music and has the demo to support it.

Not easy, or practical to expect the same in Starkville, where outside of the student populace, the population is 70% African American in the surrounding 15 mile radius. Not many in that core seeking out Grace Potter tickets or the next coming of Sturgill Simpson.

Sounds crazy, but there’s just not much draw outside the Dave’s Dark Horse crowd to it, of which I proudly belong.

We are what we are. And getting some new Country Crooner with a top 10 or 2 is the only way to make money in Starkville without a culture and population shift that takes decades.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oxford’s demographics play a large role in the success of their non-mainstream music draw.

Disagree because I think you’re focusing on the wrong thing. You’re looking at non-mainstream and alternative music when Oxford has made a killing on blues acts performing there.

I’m not saying it’s a panacea. But blues is the base of American music.

Do blues musicians even play in Starkville?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login