Starkville

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Asking fans to show up to Starkville on gameday weekends and support their Alma mater has become a touchy subject for some reason.
You can't even get MSU fans out of their recliners on GameDay to spend money at a bar representing their various alumni chapters in big cities. It really is embarrassing when lsu gets 600 people at a watch party and msu can't get 15.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Couple of things:

-I think you will see more retail move to Starkville as the demographics change in Columbus
-The public schools in Starkville have their challenges, but are trending up. Im told to expect some good news in the near future.
-A local restaurateur told someone that the this past summer (2024) was the first in his 30+ years in the business where he did not see a noticeable decline in sales over the summer

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Worse and worse?
Yes. When I was in college, it was the main hangout spot for students

Then, Mugshots got shutdown as a bar, and they turned the upstairs of Restaurant Tyler into purely a restaurant. State Theater was constantly opening and closing under new themes

At the time, I was fine with that because I was no longer in college, so more restaurants, fewer late-night bars were fine with me

But now, Tyler is only open a few nights a week. Its upstairs is only available for private events. There were multiple good restaurants in Hotel Chester for a while but no longer. Old Venice was turned into Moe's, which has since closed. Mugshots moved out of downtown. One seemingly successful restaurant (Arepas) opened downtown and then moved to the Cotton District as soon as they could

How has it not gotten worse?

Reactions: Studentdawg06

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Need to remove high speed 4-lane highway 12 out from between Starkville and MSU. Still can’t believe no one has been killed walking around there.

Either that or more walkovers.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You can't even get MSU fans out of their recliners on GameDay to spend money at a bar representing their various alumni chapters in big chapters. It really is embarrassing when lsu gets 600 people at a watch patty and msu can't get 15.
Where?

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
A decent music venue would help. That can be a big draw. The wife and I went to a concert in Oxford a few months ago at the Lyric. Stayed the night, ate a nice dinner and breakfast the next day. Had a great time amongst some terrible people.

Something other than MSU sports to draw people would plug a lot of holes. Even the weiner dog race is a solid idea to draw people out for something other than sports. Otherwise Starkville is solely reliant on sports fans and a few nights out of the year.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I'm referencing Desoto County and its growth with the new plants and industry coming into the GTR in mind.

How many kids at SHS? SA? Desoto built Lewisburg and Center Hill when it really didn't need to.

Columbus has Caledonia and New Hope. Are new employees with families and school aged kids going to buy a house in Caledonia or Starkville (choices are SHS and SA)? I'm really asking. I know if I had to move back with a family, I'd move to Caledonia.
Easter Webster has grown a lot over the past few years. EW is now a 3A school. Lotsa flight out to that area from Starkville.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
I will tell y'all this too..... knowing many college aged kids right now...... ABC is strict AF in Starkville. Whereas that isn't the case in Oxford.

Not that under age drinking should be allowed but....police flooding a place just to do checks tends to keep people away.
As a young guy I can tell you that the differences between ABC enforcement between Starkville in Oxford is night and day. Bar owners there are not worried in the slightest of letting underage students into their bars while starkville bars are extremely strict about it.

If a sting happens in Oxford, the bar is open the next day letting the same pile of underage students in without a single thought except that they'll pay the fine and be done with it. The one that has been caught egregiously doing it multiple times up there got shut down for good by ABC before a new bar was in there very soon after. Almost entirely the same management but a different ownership group, but with a lot of the same faces as the old ownership and business continued as usual.

Half *** fake ID in Oxford gets you in most bars up there typically. Sometimes bouncers will take a $20 along with it to let you in if they know its a really bad fake. That don't fly in Starkville, most of the bars have the same security company manning all of them with multiple guys watching the other bouncer check ID's.

Along these same lines, is it true that the school has told sororities and fraternities they can't allow freshmen to go out to bars? Someone told me that at the game and it sounds ridiculous. Are we only recruiting the amish now? Does anyone know if that's true, or what the actual story is? I find it hard to believe.
Not explicitly told but highly encouraged.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
As a young guy I can tell you that the differences between ABC enforcement between Starkville in Oxford is night and day. Bar owners there are not worried in the slightest of letting underage students into their bars while starkville bars are extremely strict about it.

If a sting happens in Oxford, the bar is open the next day letting the same pile of underage students in without a single thought except that they'll pay the fine and be done with it. The one that has been caught egregiously doing it multiple times up there got shut down for good by ABC before a new bar was in there very soon after. Almost entirely the same management but a different ownership group, but with a lot of the same faces as the old ownership and business continued as usual.

Half *** fake ID in Oxford gets you in most bars up there typically. Sometimes bouncers will take a $20 along with it to let you in if they know its a really bad fake. That don't fly in Starkville, most of the bars have the same security company manning all of them with multiple guys watching the other bouncer check ID's.

Not explicitly told but highly encouraged.
But this is not relevant to Starkvilles growth. It’s the alums with disposable income that make the difference. And have grown Oxford. (I realize it wasn’t your point and you were just responding to someone else )

To another post-A music venue would be great (we have one if someone could make it work) but The Lyric hasn’t grown Oxford. Oxford grew the Lyric.f

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
There is cooperation between City of Oxford leadership, Lafayette County Leadership, Ole Miss and Oxford Business leaders that does not exist in Starkville.
Absolutely nothing the city is doing is preventing anyone from visiting Starkville and having a great time. SEC sports, plenty of shopping, the CD, plenty of places to eat. If you are a golfer, a world class golf destination is 15 minutes away.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
According to US News.
Caledonia HS ranks 36th in MS
Starkville high 117.
I have nothing against Caledonia. It’s a fine school. I also had 4 kids go to Starkville, and the education they got along with opportunities to compete in athletics, AP, highly highly qualified teachers, other extra curricular was outstanding. Now does that come with some other crap that Starkville may be known for like fights etc? Yes, but they really didn’t see much of that in the classes and circle of friends they had. Starkville is large enough to offer most kids their in group. A lot of smaller places there is one in group and it’s a problem if you aren’t in it.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
I think Starkville has vastly improved in the last 5 or so years and will continue to improve. However, what are we missing here? There are some obvious retail places that many wish were here. I think with the addition of many high paying jobs in Lowndes County around the new aluminum mill we will see substantial growth in the coming years. What are we missing? I think the continued development of the Cotton District, Downtown, and the area around the Mill should be the focus.
Get a new mayor! The b!tch in charge now sucks!

Reactions: Doghaus

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Youth sports question…
How many of you with kids in school spend every weekend tied up with youth sports?
It’s becoming the driving force with so many families.
And with lower birth rates, less college enrollments.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Concur.

Disposable income has exploded since the 70s/80s, middle class folks are buying game day condos in Oxford even though they have no allegiance to the university. Public schools are the biggest difference between the two towns/universities. 40 years ago, it seemed OM fans were willing to more freely spend money than our fans, but we have closed the gap on that. We started from behind, but have greatly improved our town/university. Hell, every road around Oxford was 4 lane while two of the busiest highways in the state (82 and 25 - that just happened to lead to Starkville) where still two lane.
Your definition of middle class and mine are way different. If someone has enough disposable income to have a condo in Oxford or Starkville, they ain't middle class.

Last edited:

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
I will tell y'all this too..... knowing many college aged kids right now...... ABC is strict AF in Starkville. Whereas that isn't the case in Oxford.

Not that under age drinking should be allowed but....police flooding a place just to do checks tends to keep people away.
Practically, every ABC agent in MS was in Oxford this past weekend. Just saying…

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Along these same lines, is it true that the school has told sororities and fraternities they can't allow freshmen to go out to bars? Someone told me that at the game and it sounds ridiculous. Are we only recruiting the amish now? Does anyone know if that's true, or what the actual story is? I find it hard to believe.
As the father of a child currently in the “Greek Life” at State, I can tell you that’s an emphatic no.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
You can't even get MSU fans out of their recliners on GameDay to spend money at a bar representing their various alumni chapters in big cities. It really is embarrassing when lsu gets 600 people at a watch party and msu can't get 15.
That’s because it’s all they have. Have you ever spent more than 10 minutes with an LSU fan? Most are lucky to be the land lord of 3 or 4 teeth! And You don’t need teeth to eat the azz hole out of a gar or crayfish.

Just leave them be..

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Still pay to park downtown?
Big negative.
Never have had to "pay to park downtown". Only from Montgomery to the bridge on University and yes that sucks. Thanks Lynn Spruill, who by the way said businesses wanted it but none ever came forward and said "oh yeah lets pay to park in front of my store"

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think the casual fan doesn’t even realize how mediocre and painfully boring we have been as a football program since 2018.
Hell I thought EVERYBODY except the "Air Raid Preservationists Society" recognized this. I've never been so bored of MSU football in all of my 50+ years of watching it than I have been since Don Merlinz left

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
But this is not relevant to Starkvilles growth. It’s the alums with disposable income that make the difference. And have grown Oxford. (I realize it wasn’t your point and you were just responding to someone else )

To another post-A music venue would be great (we have one if someone could make it work) but The Lyric hasn’t grown Oxford. Oxford grew the Lyric.f
But there is hype among young kids about which is "party school", which attracts young people to town.

Starkville has Ricks. Ricks has great musical acts often. State people just refuse to believe it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I have nothing against Caledonia. It’s a fine school. I also had 4 kids go to Starkville, and the education they got along with opportunities to compete in athletics, AP, highly highly qualified teachers, other extra curricular was outstanding. Now does that come with some other crap that Starkville may be known for like fights etc? Yes, but they really didn’t see much of that in the classes and circle of friends they had. Starkville is large enough to offer most kids their in group. A lot of smaller places there is one in group and it’s a problem if you aren’t in it.
As someone that has/had nieces and nephews in the school....This is true. If your kid is a high achiever in the classroom. If he/she isnt, starkville schools are an awful place to be. If your kid isnt in AP you'll have to deal with the "other crap" .. the other crap being... 2-3 fights weekly, parents fighting in the office, and videos of adminstration dragging kids out of fights by their hair, teachers arrest for making advances on students, kids expelled for adult actions taking place in the stairways, thats the environment that is there.

Whomever said they are trending up is right, but they were a D school district at one time, and they do a great job at putting lipstick on a pig. The best they'll ever be is average, and there are school districts near by, that are simply better for those middle class kids, which is what most of the area is.

Reactions: Maroon13

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Hell I thought EVERYBODY except the "Air Raid Preservationists Society" recognized this. I've never been so bored of MSU football in all of my 50+ years of watching it than I have been since Don Merlinz left
It’s been tough to watch. I’m hopeful Lebby will provide a spark

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But there is hype among young kids about which is "party school", which attracts young people to town.

Starkville has Ricks. Ricks has great musical acts often. State people just refuse to believe it.
We have never been the party school and until OM got Kiffin and basically went to 100% admission, we always had a higher enrollment. The youths aren’t what moved the needle in Oxford.

Reactions: Palos verdes

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
She's the only one fight for progress. It's the damn board who is full of incompetence and afraid of letting college kids have fun
Spruill is awful and has been awful for Starkville.

Some will say look at what has happened in starkville under her, but thats just natural progress, it was the world moving forward. She's made some really awful decisions and a lot of her decisions are based on what has been best for the university not whats best for Starkville. hence the divide

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023
This has always annoyed me. I’ve been to LSU and Bama alumni watch parties in Nashville, and they’re wild. Complete blast.

State’s? The people who would make it fun do their own get-togethers or etc.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think the University needs to get in the business of the hospitality business… open up its own hotels, convention center, bars, restaurants on campus. Have Hospitality Management as a degree. Also an on campus K-12 Academy that employs education majors, kinesiology majors, administrative etc.
Instead we spend $200 Million on a dorm that sleeps 400 students.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What is it about Spruill that you don't like? I know the property taxes are high but outside of that - she seems to be a decent mayor from afar.
What has she brought to starkville? The divide b/t the campus and starkville is as big as its ever been. The school district detorirated on her watch. She claims shes brought business to town but how many have left. Specifically the downtown area, the shopping center was vowell's was has been a wreck, same for Umi and where club 24 use to be. The entire sportsplex area and mckee park is a bust. Starkville isnt even safe anymore, there was a shooting at a little league game. rent and taxes are at record high's. The only positives i've seen on her watch is the new cornerstone park and the main strip of hwy 12 thru town. The only other areas that have seen growth under spruill is the area's near campus, she's neglected almost everything else

She's tried to turn starkville into oxford and tupelo and madison.. and starkville isnt that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login