State booing Chris Jackson

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
I'm sure I could care less but I have no idea how. Good grief what is it with people that wake up every day and try to figure out how people offended them in the past? If this is the complaint, the one thing he wants everybody to take note of, then I think he has had a pretty easy road.

Last edited:

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
So Miss'ssippi State fans were booing a player from Miss'ssippi that, rather than play for the flagship university in the hospitality state, instead chose to go to its rival's biggest rival university in the same conference?

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
any of y'all remember this?

The best player on each team was always booed. The who's your daddy chant was a little messed up, but it wasn't racist. I'm sure we had some racists in the crowd, just like every other building with a large gathering anywhere, and they come in all colors, but the chant and booing him was just about trying to win a basketball game.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
He was booed because he went to LSU and Dale himself personally paid him and Shaq to go there. They neglected to point out that we were both fighting for the SEC West title. They also neglect to include how terrible LSU fans, and others, can be.

Chris went to LSU to try to be the next Pistol Pete. He was from Gulfport and the best I can remember seeing ever in person in college. But he and Shaq got their *** beat that game and another one I think. Play the victim card all you want but LSU lost because State was better and tougher as a team.

No he was not singled out because he was black. He was singled out because he was a great player and the air was not a "air of racism" it was an air of "we will kick your *** on this court with tougher players than you" and screw you for leaving our state to play for that loser coach and loser team you chose. :)

There was no confederate flag flown at that game, Showtime is race baiting is what this is, another feaux controversy to get viewers to ultimately pay for their service. If Chris would have been white, he would have been hounded EXACTLY THE SAME. In the NBA he went and did the National Anthem protest thing, Showtime is really reaching to connect a story to Chris that just is not there. But I can say that we do like reminding him and Shaq they both lost to State, its very nice to recall that fact.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The NY post is promoting the film because their woke punkass corporation likely bankrolled the film. That's how journalism operates these days.

I also think Shaq is remembering the wrong game. Because the Jackson vs Glass matchup in Oxford is legendary. Because we won that game didnt we? Greg Carter hit a baseline jumper as time expired to send it to OT.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
So Miss'ssippi State fans were booing a player from Miss'ssippi that, rather than play for the flagship university in the hospitality state, instead chose to go to its rival's biggest rival university in the same conference?
From my era, Antonio McDyess and Mo Williams also come to mind

Reactions: dawgman42

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
He was booed because he went to LSU and Dale himself personally paid him and Shaq to go there. They neglected to point out that we were both fighting for the SEC West title. They also neglect to include how terrible LSU fans, and others, can be.

Chris went to LSU to try to be the next Pistol Pete. He was from Gulfport and the best I can remember seeing ever in person in college. But he and Shaq got their *** beat that game and another one I think. Play the victim card all you want but LSU lost because State was better and tougher as a team.

No he was not singled out because he was black. He was singled out because he was a great player and the air was not a "air of racism" it was an air of "we will kick your *** on this court with tougher players than you" and screw you for leaving our state to play for that loser coach and loser team you chose. :)

There was no confederate flag flown at that game, Showtime is race baiting is what this is, another feaux controversy to get viewers to ultimately pay for their service. If Chris would have been white, he would have been hounded EXACTLY THE SAME. In the NBA he went and did the National Anthem protest thing, Showtime is really reaching to connect a story to Chris that just is not there. But I can say that we do like reminding him and Shaq they both lost to State, its very nice to recall that fact.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
That's some bullsh!4 in that clip. Some of the crowd shots are at an Ole Miss game with their preppy outfits, pom-poms and the Rebel Flag. And if I remember that game, we were much worse on Shaq.
I think that's when Shaq's Dad made Dale Brown pull him from the game, because we were beating the sh!4 out of him.
Well, I was in attendance for that game in the student section. There was a confederate flag there. The chants were loud and pretty personal. It's not a good look. But I have a hard time buying that it only happened to him in starkville. And aGAIN, it was over 30 years ago.

Sidebar, I still consider Chris Jackson to be the best college basketball player I ever saw in person. And he was awesome that night. And I hated that 17er because of it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I’ll never forget Natchez High Vs Gulfport …either simis or south state…..I’ve told this story on here before…. but to cliff note,

I was the water boy for NHS and always sat next to Chis’s future teammate, Vernel Singleton…he was my idol.

During warmups, it was my job to count Chris Jackson’s makes/misses…..I was a HUGE fan of the pistol….and I just remember being in complete AWE at how quick Jackson was with the ball…and how similar he moved like Pete.

His “tick” pretty sure he has Tourette syndrome….was to bend down and untie then tie his shoe back, super fast.

If he was moving during a play or engaged with the ball, he would be 17ing with that shoe.

…but all jokes were off when he had the ball…he was unstoppable and completely in control of his body. He was a remarkable basketball player and should be recognized as much

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The best player on each team was always booed. The who's your daddy chant was a little messed up, but it wasn't racist. I'm sure we had some racists in the crowd, just like every other building with a large gathering anywhere, and they come in all colors, but the chant and booing him was just about trying to win a basketball game.
Our student section could be pretty hardcore back in the day. There was lots of crazy stuff that went down for almost every big game.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I also think Shaq is remembering the wrong game. Because the Jackson vs Glass matchup in Oxford is legendary. Because we won that game didnt we? Greg Carter hit a baseline jumper as time expired to send it to OT.
Yes, he's remembering the Ole Miss game where Jackson and Glass played out of their skulls. Glass had the better game, but LSU won.
We beat Shaq up so bad that night at the Hump, his brain's addled.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
any of y'all remember this?

As others in this thread have pointed out, any heckling of Chris Jackson by State fans would've been due to him being a Mississippian who left to play for an out-of-state school. To say that we were heckling him for racist reasons when we had four or five African Americans of our own on the floor at all times is just silly, stupid, and further evidence that the demand for racism greatly exceeds the supply.

James Robinson, Vernell Singleton, Litterial Green, and Antonio McDyess got similar treatment from our fans for leaving the 'Sip to play for out-of-state schools. I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting. Hank Flick would get things started during introductions of the visiting team. For example, "At guard for the Crimson Tide, a 6-2 sophomore from Jackson, Mississippi, please give a warm welcome home to number 24, James Robinson." A cascade of boos would follow.

Robinson was a partial qualifier; he had to sit out his freshman year after magically improving from a 9 to a 24 on the ACT. The NCAA challenged the score and Robinson had to sit a year. So, of course, when he finally played for Alabama in Starkville, we chanted "A-C-T" whenever James got the ball or shot free throws. Good times.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Well, I was in attendance for that game in the student section. There was a confederate flag there. The chants were loud and pretty personal. It's not a good look. But I have a hard time buying that it only happened to him in starkville. And aGAIN, it was over 30 years ago.

Sidebar, I still consider Chris Jackson to be the best college basketball player I ever saw in person. And he was awesome that night. And I hated that 17er because of it.
in that clip, those pom poms are red and blue and the attire is definitely Ole Miss. I don't remember a Rebel flag flying at the Hump. Seriously? What self-respecting State fan would do something like that? unless he was a KKK member or the child of one. Even then, that's the Ole Miss emblem.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
in that clip, those pom poms are red and blue and the attire is definitely Ole Miss. I don't remember a Rebel flag flying at the Hump. Seriously? What self-respecting State fan would do something like that? unless he was a KKK member or the child of one. Even then, that's the Ole Miss emblem.
If you're talking about the pic in the article, yeah, that's in oxford. But I'm telling you it was there. It should be a surprise to no one that stupid things happened in our student sections. Ole Miss doesn't hold the patent on that.

Reactions: dorndawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Let's take a trip down this memory lane together. Bless your heart Chris and Shaq, bless your heart.

1676658602461.png

1676658662109.png

1990-1991 LSU Men's Basketball Schedule and Results​

DateType OpponentConfSRS TmOppOTWLStreakArena
Wed, Jan 30, 1991REGMississippi StateSEC12.87L7982135L 1Maravich Assembly Center
Sat, Mar 2, 1991REG@Mississippi State (23)SEC12.87L7376208L 1Humphrey Coliseum

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
We were far worse to Pat Summit in 94 (I think) when Tenn played the women right before the men played Arkansas. We also gave Corliss Williamson hell that day.

The students had camped out all night before the game and we were rowdy!

Good times!!

Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login