State football 2022 will we see improvements?

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I think that we be better on offense and score more points but will that translate to more wins? Even though I think we will be better I’m not convinced that we will win a lot more games.

And yes I’m purposely starting State threads because I’m sick of seeing threads about other schools. 17 every other school.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Rogers will be in the top 5-10 in pass yardage, will have 250 more pass attempts than everybody else. A segment of the fanbase will drool over his stats and whine because he’s not getting the national attention they think he deserves. We win 6 games. Lose to Ole Miss. rinse repeat.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I think that we be better on offense and score more points but will that translate to more wins? Even though I think we will be better I’m not convinced that we will win a lot more games.

And yes I’m purposely starting State threads because I’m sick of seeing threads about other schools. 17 every other school.

Unless we pick up another 1st round draft pick to plug in at left tackle I don't see the offense being much if any better. Hopefully the Liberty Bowl wasn't a preview.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
We could be a lot better and have the same or worse record. Tough schedule next year.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

There will certainly be more weapons on the field but I’m not convinced that there will be some big jump in production. The dink and dunk will continue so the only way they will be more productive is if the receivers are able to make guys miss. I thought Wally might be that guy this year but Thomas looked to be the best run-after-catch threat. Tulu was decent at times but so many of the passes were possession type plays in very tight windows.

Question for those with a more keen eye than me. Is the lack of verticality an issue with receivers not burning guys on the outside? The best long ball I saw all year was a post over the middle. Can Rogers make that throw outside the numbers? He got busted twice outside the numbers against Bama. He throws a nice corner fade from twenty yards and I think they need that threat over the top from the 40-60 yard range. The safeties have to be scared of getting burned.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
I think yes. Auburn, Ark, OM, ATM all trending down a little next year and three of those are at home. Gonna blast Memphis first game of the year. Not scared of Kentucky either. 8 wins including the egg and we’re all happy.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I think yes. Auburn, Ark, OM, ATM all trending down a little next year and three of those are at home. Gonna blast Memphis first game of the year. Not scared of Kentucky either. 8 wins including the egg and we’re all happy.

Is A&M trending downward with a #1 signing class?

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Is A&M trending downward with a #1 signing class?

They’ve signed elite classes every year that they’ve been in the SEC and State is 3-2 against them in Starkville. Also, who is their QB? They were built to win this year.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I think the season will make or break against Arkansas (H), Kentucky (A), and Ole Miss (A).

My biggest concern for Leach so far is his record vs the teams we have to beat to elevate our program: 1-5

ETA: Moorhead was 5-1 vs those teams. Mullen was 18-9.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
I usually don’t get all warm and fuzzy when the season starts because I’ve been watching our football program for over fourty years so it’s just hard being optimistic. I will admit that the debacle at the liberty bowl really dampened my spirits especially knowing the fact that Rogers will never be a downhill threat.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
By August we will have talked ourselves into a Heisman Trophy for Will, beating Sabin in Tuscaloosa, playing in the SEC Championship, and if the stars align a shot at the playoffs. In September we will start slowly pulling the bandaid off.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
7 reg season wins. Some upsets. Some upset. Bowl loss.

It's Leach.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Other than what has been mentioned many times, Rogers needs to get better at handling pressure and quicker. I thought on occasions through the year, he was falling to the turf as soon as a rusher came free. We need a few more plays like the one in the Liberty bowl where he avoided the rush, rolled out and found Marks for a big gain.

As for overall team performance, who knows. As was said the schedule is tougher. Also there are some brilliant defensive minds in the sec. They knew well before hand what Leach is going run. We aren't adjusting much of anything offensively. However I think our execution gets better next year as all skill players return. Lets hope defensively we are improved.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We will be good. 8-10 wins. Rogers will be pushed by the others. Defense will be legit, third year with same DC means good things happen.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
We will be good. 8-10 wins. Rogers will be pushed by the others. Defense will be legit, third year with same DC means good things happen.

What’s the returning DL look like? They were just ok this year with nearly non-existent QB pressure. The corners and secondary should be fine. The linebackers are again just ok. Not a single gamebreaker anywhere.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Yes.

We’ll be improved everywhere except LT. We’ll sweep the OOC schedule and beat a depleted Arkansas and Auburn at home.
Guaranteed loss to Bama.
TAMU is my pick for our underwhelming home performance, while we’ll have the road egg be at UK or LSU while we beat the other. I expect the talent gap to UM will be too high for them to overcome.
That puts a home game against a rebuilding UGA as the difference between 8 and 9 wins. Assuming we find a portal tackle and kicker, I pick 9.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
What’s the returning DL look like? They were just ok this year with nearly non-existent QB pressure. The corners and secondary should be fine. The linebackers are again just ok. Not a single gamebreaker anywhere.
I’m hopeful that the addition of Jordan Davis in 22 helps DL in the area of putting pressure on the qb.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Our total offense was top 30
Our passing offense was top 5

Does it matter how we got there?

Leach’s history everywhere says we improve next year.

Even a slight improvement is good.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Next year should be a 9 win season but it won't be easy. 8 should be an absolute and we better not lose to OM or Leach's *** will be on fire.
The inconsistencies should be eliminated.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think we’ll see more of the same from this year. We’ll improve in some areas, get worse in others. 6-6.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
We’ll be improved everywhere except LT. We’ll sweep the OOC schedule and beat a depleted Arkansas and Auburn at home.
Guaranteed loss to Bama.
TAMU is my pick for our underwhelming home performance, while we’ll have the road egg be at UK or LSU while we beat the other. I expect the talent gap to UM will be too high for them to overcome.
That puts a home game against a rebuilding UGA as the difference between 8 and 9 wins. Assuming we find a portal tackle and kicker, I pick 9.

Expecting to beat UGA seems like a stretch to me. I think they’ll eat our Oline’s asses up and possibly injure Rogers.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm afraid we saw a preview of next year's offense in the Liberty. Hard to see Rogers get better if the OL is worse than this year and Polk is gone. 6-6 playing in Birmingham and still bitchin bout Leach this time next year

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I think Percy Lewis will fill that hole pretty well. Not on Cross' level but I think he'll do a good job at LT. Overall, I think we will be impoved on both sides of the ball. Arnett is settling in with the defensive scheme and is getting the type of players he wants. Leach has the offense installed and will replace the players that left with quality players. I'm not sure Will starts next year. Sawyer Robertson has a year under his belt and may outperform Will during Spring practice. I like Will but his performance in some of our games has been spotty combined with his slow starts. I became accustomed to just writing off the first couple of drives each game because he would over throw or under throw a WR on a 3rd down play every time. The good news is the roster has been restocked.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login