State football players getting fit for custom tailored suits

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Example of funds being wasted….and this only comes back to bite the folks who cannot afford a normal ticket to a game.

Who 17ing cares what a college team wears? What difference in the actual world of worlds does this make?

Got dammn partition error gags us yet again.

Want a 17ing suit? Win a championship or a ring….and earn it. This “experience of excellence” doesn’t make you a champion. Winning the 17ing championship makes you a champion. God, help us.

“errr everrbody wins at fields day ribbon in highschool”

thanks, libs…

half of the recipients can’t run a sack relay or fathom catching the egg toss, circa Bill Clinton..aka..Cathy Cook…if you know you know..

Ima sit a week out…17

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Example of funds being wasted….and this only comes back to bite the folks who cannot afford a normal ticket to a game.

Who 17ing cares what a college team wears? What difference in the actual world of worlds does this make?

Want a 17ing suit? Win a championship or a ring….and earn it. This “experience of excellence” doesn’t make you a champion. Winning the 17ing championship makes you a champion. God, help us.

thanks, libs…

half of the recipients can’t run a sack relay or fathom catching the egg toss, circa Bill Clinton..aka..Cathy Cook…if you know you know..

Ima sit a week out…17

I plan to teach my children the intricacies and methods of the people above.

I’ll use the extra money I save by not donating to wasteful and meaningless garbage, as NIL and Jock Rot jam funds, suits for kids who don’t deserve free tuition, nor that can spell “MIssissippi”..none give a “17” about my tax dollar….Colt 45 and Two Zig Zag Rim Spinner…step side assassin w/t smoke stack pipes

….ill reinvest into our university, and I’ll produce a better citizen and alumnus than the rhetorical “ Yazoo MS, HS” millionaire..

sorry not sorry

Last edited:

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

thanks, libs…

Ima sit a week out…17
season 13 GIF

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

thanks, libs…

Ima sit a week out…17
Stay Mad GIF

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I would think and hope this is part of a NIL package. Not that I’m against it in the first place but in the days of NIL we should be able to pull off having it fully funded there. Many of them may have never had a suit. Most won’t ever earn a dime from professional football. I have no issues with them having a suit for the time and effort they put in on behalf of the university. Part of the university’s commitment to them should be to prepare them for life after football and I see this as part of that.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I would think and hope this is part of a NIL package. Not that I’m against it in the first place but in the days of NIL we should be able to pull off having it fully funded there. Many of them may have never had a suit. Most won’t ever earn a dime from professional football. I have no issues with them having a suit for the time and effort they put in on behalf of the university. Part of the university’s commitment to them should be to prepare them for life after football and I see this as part of that.
I can promise you my child, with a 3.5 and impeccable reputation…countless hours of summer jobs and volunteer within my church and community…along with paying for at least half of his tuition….AND working in Starkville, also deserves a suit.

You want my phone number or my PayPal?
I’ll meet you today.

BTW he will prob walk on the football team….and won’t receive a scholarship until his senior year….which after, he will engineer a green house on the moon for your 17ing free taking compadres new sunscreen.

“Dales Moon Cricket Mole Spray”

Last edited:

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
The people who paid for the suits, helped bring in the people who think they deserve the “suits”

can you not see this?
Y’all be sure to pay your recently increased bulldog club seat donation on time this year. Also, on time is 6 months earlier than usual. When you’re done, let’s see what you can do to help our student athletes succeed in the having nicer things than you department by giving to the bulldog initiative.

The fans shouldn’t be footing the bill for the players getting paid or getting nice stuff while the billionaire profit takers at the top keep getting more. One of the good arguments players had before NIL was they wanted their piece of the pie. But instead of re-slicing the pie the fans are having to pay to put more pies on a dinner table we don’t eat at.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
They should have done this for the basketball team. We may get our arses kicked on the court but we would have been the best looking dogs in the house. Not to mentioned they earned their coats.
Don't you mean the best looking Bisons?***

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
You grow up poor…grow big and fast…learn to catch a football and tackle better than most….all of a sudden, that equates to suits? And the expectations of formal clothing?

Am I the only one that calls “bullshitj” here?

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Not the kids I’m trying to recruit. Someone just told me that pretty much NONE of these kids have ever had a suit.

So explain your answer
You're = MSU

As to the rest of your reply. It pretty much answers itself. If you're too dense to figure out that it's a recruiting strategy that the university DIDN'T pay for, that's on you.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
You grow up poor…grow big and fast…learn to catch a football and tackle better than most….all of a sudden, that equates to suits? And the expectations of formal clothing?

Yes. It’s the same reason professional athletes are paid ungodly sums of money. They bring in lots of money to their organization. So they are compensated. SEC football players bring in millions to the university. It’s called capitalism. I’m sure you’re a big fan of it.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
It’s not a recruiting strategy for my child.

What type of player are you talking about? Someone that likes suits in particular…like a player that may be running for a boys state spot?

Who likes suits? Rappers? People who fancy weddings and funerals? John Cash folks, ya mean?

• Sad

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Yes. It’s the same reason professional athletes are paid ungodly sums of money. They bring in lots of money to their organization. So they are compensated. SEC football players bring in millions to the university. It’s called capitalism. I’m sure you’re a big fan of it.
So wearing a suit equal’s capitalism? What happened to the guy who owns 4 oil and lube shops? Is he not a capitalist? He doesn’t wear a tailored suit.

What about a teacher? Are they not capitalist? Nevermind teachers are trying to keep America from undermining itself on tictok…give all to the craft.

Why is a suit such an item, that we must advert funds and “rep” to obtain?

Why not give every player a guitar?

• Sad

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
It will look cool walking off the bus and into the stadium. That's just one of the little things that will make croots say I wanna check out Miss State. Highly likely somebody sponsored it so I doubt it is coming out of ticket sales
My first thought is that there are probably some on the team that can't afford a nice suit on their own (No big NIL money and won't be going to the NFL to get rich). This is a nice way of giving them a nice suit for interviews and such when they enter the real world. I may be naive about how much the bench warmers make in NIL.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
So wearing a suit equal’s capitalism? What happened to the guy who owns 4 oil and lube shops? Is he not a capitalist? He doesn’t wear a tailored suit.

What about a teacher? Are they not capitalist? Nevermind teachers are trying to keep America from undermining itself on tictok…give all to the craft.

Why is a suit such an item, that we must advert funds and “rep” to obtain?

Why not give every player a guitar?
There’s some old adage about “dress for the job you want, not the job you have” isn’t there?
Can you not see this is for game day? That way we have a team show up and not a bunch of nitwits trying to out-ridiculous each other as they walk off the bus. It also sets an expectation and reinforces a standard that professionalism is expected (which I imagine is valuable when you’re GL, 4&1, down 3 and 2 seconds remaining while the other team is talking **** to draw a flag).
Meanwhile, you (@Lettuce) are reinforcing my impression that some of you old coots just can’t be 17in happy

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Y’all be sure to pay your recently increased bulldog club seat donation on time this year. Also, on time is 6 months earlier than usual. When you’re done, let’s see what you can do to help our student athletes succeed in the having nicer things than you department by giving to the bulldog initiative.

The fans shouldn’t be footing the bill for the players getting paid or getting nice stuff while the billionaire profit takers at the top keep getting more. One of the good arguments players had before NIL was they wanted their piece of the pie. But instead of re-slicing the pie the fans are having to pay to put more pies on a dinner table we don’t eat at.
Agree with most everything you said, but I do think that one of the fallacies in the whole "pay the players" mob that's been out there from the beginning is this illusion that there's a billionaire at the top of the football mountain like Amazon, Walmart, or any other global corporation. There's not.

We can talk about head coaches being overpaid, but they average out at around $3.5M, we can talk about NCAA execs making too much, but Mark Emmert topped out at just over $3M, and most ADs don't make that. The vast majority of this multi-billion dollar pie that keeps getting talked about doesn't go to billionaires. It goes back into the universities to build stadiums, build practice facilities, fund hundreds of other collegiate sport teams, and pay the salaries of the thousands of individuals that work within NCAA athletics.

Now, as you said, the problem is that no one wants to listen to reason or actually look through athletic budgets when talking about NIL, so we're in the midst of one giant "well, y'all figure it out" era of college sports. And who's getting to figure it out for NIL? You said it perfectly. The fans

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I can promise you my child, with a 3.5 and impeccable reputation…countless hours of summer jobs and volunteer within my church and community…along with paying for at least half of his tuition….AND working in Starkville, also deserves a suit.

You want my phone number or my PayPal?
I’ll meet you today.

BTW he will prob walk on the football team….and won’t receive a scholarship until his senior year….which after, he will engineer a green house on the moon for your 17ing free taking compadres new sunscreen.

“Dales Moon Cricket Mole Spray”
I remember getting my first tailored suit at 26. My dad bought it for me after I had graduated college, spent 3 years working in a training program, and then settled in Memphis for my first manager's position. I'm glad that all happened in the '00s because my dad definitely couldn't have afforded that and NIL

Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This is a nice way of giving them a nice suit for interviews and such when they enter the real world
Barney Fife wore "the ole salt and pepper suit" EVERY time he went somewhere or on a date, same one. That's what I'm envisioning here, seeing them get off the bus week after week or interview after interview wearing their same "salt and pepper" suit

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
God no!!!

Fitted for suits = Fitted for rings

Book it.
Sloe Joe Moorhead asked them their ring sizes, Lebby gonna ask them their custom tailored suit sizes. Hopefully the suits materialize better than the rings did

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

No. I think it has a whole lot more to do with coaches/admins wanting to portray a vision of "hey, we're not just wasting your hard earned money on cars and chains" than it does with anything the players are actually wanting. I mean, let's be honest... If some dude showed up at our dorm back in the day with $5k, how many of would've immediately thought "17 yeah, now I can go to Sherman's for a suit!"

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I plan to teach my children the intricacies and methods of the people above.

I’ll use the extra money I save by not donating to wasteful and meaningless garbage, as NIL and Jock Rot jam funds, suits for kids who don’t deserve free tuition, nor that can spell “MIssissippi”..none give a “17” about my tax dollar….Colt 45 and Two Zig Zag Rim Spinner…step side assassin w/t smoke stack pipes

….ill reinvest into our university, and I’ll produce a better citizen and alumnus than the rhetorical “ Yazoo MS, HS” millionaire..

sorry not sorry

I always say weed sucks and then I see posts like these and I think maybe I’m just getting the wrong weed. 🤔

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m the opposite. I would hope we can use university tv money to buy them one suit to travel in, just like we can buy them a uniform or workout gear.

need the nil money saved for what we can’t use tv money for.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Moorhead: "They'd better know their ring sizes."
Lebby: "They'd better know their suit sizes." ***

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
No. I think it has a whole lot more to do with coaches/admins wanting to portray a vision of "hey, we're not just wasting your hard earned money on cars and chains" than it does with anything the players are actually wanting. I mean, let's be honest... If some dude showed up at our dorm back in the day with $5k, how many of would've immediately thought "17 yeah, now I can go to Sherman's for a suit!"
Phucking zero.

It’s all material bullshat ….the Catholic highschools used to do this stupid schit and we more or less got our azz whooped by any team wearing all track suits …you get my drift?

it’s propaganda and in this case, as most things in MS, we are way behind. Get the kids the best athletic gear possible, sure. Anything to make them more of a student athlete, which prepares their body for whatever sport.

When you cross this line of gator boots and Rolex watches, we are on to something else.

I want my money going into the athletic funds. Not the “going out and getting crunk, goochi” fund.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not the kids I’m trying to recruit. Someone just told me that pretty much NONE of these kids have ever had a suit.

So explain your answer
It's amazing how oblivious some people can be to other people's situations.

If you can't buy off the rack, even the big and tall rack, buying a decent suit is not cheap. While a suit isn't needed as much today as it was in the past, they are still needed for a lot of interviews, professional situations, weddings, and funerals. Some of the players probably don't have a suit because of the expense and this helps them with what is going to be a basic necessity for adulthood. Some of the players probably don't even realize what they need a suit for, and this at least nudges them in the right direction by making sure they have it. Wearing a suit on game day instead of athletic wear also nudges them in the direction of being professional and gives them some practice in how to carry themselves. Some or even most of the players may not get it and may even complain, but a lot of them will internalize it.

But it's mainly about just making sure they have a nice suit when they otherwise might not. Of all the things to complain about us spending money on, this seems way, wayyyy down the list.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It's amazing how oblivious some people can be to other people's situations.

If you can't buy off the rack, even the big and tall rack, buying a decent suit is not cheap. While a suit isn't needed as much today as it was in the past, they are still needed for a lot of interviews, professional situations, weddings, and funerals. Some of the players probably don't have a suit because of the expense and this helps them with what is going to be a basic necessity for adulthood. Some of the players probably don't even realize what they need a suit for, and this at least nudges them in the right direction by making sure they have it. Wearing a suit on game day instead of athletic wear also nudges them in the direction of being professional and gives them some practice in how to carry themselves. Some or even most of the players may not get it and may even complain, but a lot of them will internalize it.

But it's mainly about just making sure they have a nice suit when they otherwise might not. Of all the things to complain about us spending money on, this seems way, wayyyy down the list.

I think the rub here is that MSU has an enrollment of 23k students, of which a very large amount do not receive anything close to enough financial aid to pay for 4 years of college. The vast majority also do not happen to run well with a football, so they're focused on degrees that will allow them to get jobs outside of athletics, and they'll need to interview well to do such.

So the world that we currently live in says that rather than supporting these kids with real worlds needs, we're going to drop $200k on 85 kids that are already on full rides so that they can look good walking from a bus to the stadium on gameday. Oh and by the way, we need all of you fans to dig a little bit deeper into your pockets so that we can pay for all of this.

Is it at the top of the list of college athletics' concerns? No, I agree there, but the oblivious part to me is how people cannot seem to fathom how there's no money left for players in a multi-billion dollar sports industry, yet continuously watch money like this getting burned on an ongoing basis.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login