State football players getting fit for custom tailored suits

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I can promise you my child, with a 3.5 and impeccable reputation…countless hours of summer jobs and volunteer within my church and community…along with paying for at least half of his tuition….AND working in Starkville, also deserves a suit.
Back in my day I worked, paid for all of my tuition, and bought me a suit on clearance at Belk for job interviews.
need the nil money saved for what we can’t use tv money for.
Im thinking it benefits both parties. Suit place is out their cost but NIL would get the retail value of the product.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Agree with most everything you said, but I do think that one of the fallacies in the whole "pay the players" mob that's been out there from the beginning is this illusion that there's a billionaire at the top of the football mountain like Amazon, Walmart, or any other global corporation. There's not.

We can talk about head coaches being overpaid, but they average out at around $3.5M, we can talk about NCAA execs making too much, but Mark Emmert topped out at just over $3M, and most ADs don't make that. The vast majority of this multi-billion dollar pie that keeps getting talked about doesn't go to billionaires. It goes back into the universities to build stadiums, build practice facilities, fund hundreds of other collegiate sport teams, and pay the salaries of the thousands of individuals that work within NCAA athletics.

Now, as you said, the problem is that no one wants to listen to reason or actually look through athletic budgets when talking about NIL, so we're in the midst of one giant "well, y'all figure it out" era of college sports. And who's getting to figure it out for NIL? You said it perfectly. The fans
And I agree with everything you said here. But honestly the evil billionaires at the top of the mountain in my mind are the ESPN execs, Disney that owns them and maybe the other networks and their owners to a lesser extent. And I know that a lot of money gets trickled back down, but not to these new NIL efforts because there's rules against the entities that it trickles back down to to use it for that.

Reactions: Seinfeld

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And I agree with everything you said here. But honestly the evil billionaires at the top of the mountain in my mind are the ESPN execs, Disney that owns them and maybe the other networks and their owners to a lesser extent. And I know that a lot of money gets trickled back down, but not to these new NIL efforts because there's rules against the entities that it trickles back down to to use it for that.
Completely fair. I mean, ESPN just agreed to a $7.8B deal for CFP broadcast rights through 2032. Imagine if the powers that be said... hey, why don't we take this opportunity to negotiate $1B into this agreement for NIL so that it lessens the load of the collectives, and schools aren't having to ask teachers and farmers to pay for #88's exotic car rental? We can all dream I guess

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So wearing a suit equal’s capitalism? What happened to the guy who owns 4 oil and lube shops? Is he not a capitalist? He doesn’t wear a tailored suit.
A guy that owns 4 oil and lube shops could very well (and probably does) own a suit.

Reactions: Bulldog45

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Most good companies provide a clothing allowance, so I don't see the problem here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree with most everything you said, but I do think that one of the fallacies in the whole "pay the players" mob that's been out there from the beginning is this illusion that there's a billionaire at the top of the football mountain like Amazon, Walmart, or any other global corporation. There's not.

We can talk about head coaches being overpaid, but they average out at around $3.5M, we can talk about NCAA execs making too much, but Mark Emmert topped out at just over $3M, and most ADs don't make that. The vast majority of this multi-billion dollar pie that keeps getting talked about doesn't go to billionaires. It goes back into the universities to build stadiums, build practice facilities, fund hundreds of other collegiate sport teams, and pay the salaries of the thousands of individuals that work within NCAA athletics.

Now, as you said, the problem is that no one wants to listen to reason or actually look through athletic budgets when talking about NIL, so we're in the midst of one giant "well, y'all figure it out" era of college sports. And who's getting to figure it out for NIL? You said it perfectly. The fans
100% agree with this, but again, it's always been like this. Fans/boosters/etc. support the program and buy the players. Been happening since the 70s. It obviously jumped up a notch here lately with it being legal and the immediate transfer eligibility. But I'm guessing it will normalize soon.

So we know it's a rich man's game, whether it's single donors, a company or a collective. The issue with MSU is that all we hear is that we have to do this to 'keep up'. That's a fool's errand. We are simply going to continue to be where we've always been, unless we produce a Phil Knight or any variation thereof. It makes more sense if you're a big school with tons of alumni who can willingly donate, like a Texas A&M, Michigan or whatever. We need another approach, honestly. Sure, we need a collective and if fans WANT to give, by all means do it - we will sure spend it. But no one (and by no one, I mean the common average joe middle class fan) should be made to feel as if this is needed and you're not a true fan if you don't do it. That's hogwash.

And yeah, we've discussed before - if we start paying players from the TV coffers, kiss good bye to the revenue sports. 'Pay the players' mob got exactly what they wanted, and though they'll never it, internally they are like 'holy shlt what have we done'.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think the rub here is that MSU has an enrollment of 23k students, of which a very large amount do not receive anything close to enough financial aid to pay for 4 years of college. The vast majority also do not happen to run well with a football, so they're focused on degrees that will allow them to get jobs outside of athletics, and they'll need to interview well to do such.

So the world that we currently live in says that rather than supporting these kids with real worlds needs, we're going to drop $200k on 85 kids that are already on full rides so that they can look good walking from a bus to the stadium on gameday. Oh and by the way, we need all of you fans to dig a little bit deeper into your pockets so that we can pay for all of this.

Nothing about this is new though. We already pour ridiculous money into athletics at schools and the professional level. I went to school in a glorified warehouse and the nicest facilities on campus were the football field and stands, gym, and baseball fields. Before NIL, from a values perspective, it was somewhat crazy that kids making good grades in Chemistry, engineering, accounting, food sciences, and other socially useful degree areas were taking loans while players that barely scraped by in worthless majors to keep their eligibility got a free ride and free food and healthcare. If you don't want to watch college sports in protest, that's perfectly reasonable. But if you are even just watching sports, you are a small part of the market that generates the demand to pay good players.

Is it at the top of the list of college athletics' concerns? No, I agree there, but the oblivious part to me is how people cannot seem to fathom how there's no money left for players in a multi-billion dollar sports industry, yet continuously watch money like this getting burned on an ongoing basis.
There is plenty of money available to pay players. But because of NCAA rules on spending university money on players, it's hard to use that money for the players. Plus, before everything on NIL changed so suddenly, lots of university committed future revenue to capital improvement projects that were basically an arms race to compete on the nicest facilities since they coudln't compete on payments to the players (at least with their revenue on the books) so even to the extent you can do things to make more money available for NIL (like unofficial perks for contributing large sums to NIL, some schools need that money for debt service.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
To me, the "billionaires" in this case are the TV networks/execs, as you mention, and the schools/conferences. I lean towards the schools/conferences being the object of my ire in this whole "pay the players" since they're the entities negotiating the TV contracts and then asking the fan bases to pony up more (in addition to tickets, seat licenses, concessions, merchandise, etc.) to pay the players. Not to mention, the whole NIL concept has been distorted beyond all recognition of the original intent.

Reactions: uptowndawg

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Imagine if the powers that be said... hey, why don't we take this opportunity to negotiate $1B into this agreement for NIL so that it lessens the load of the collectives, and schools aren't having to ask teachers and farmers to pay for #88's exotic car rental? We can all dream I guess
Then our cable bill would go up gain... lol.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
In b4 da lock

but seriously what the 17 is wrong with some of you. Mad because a college kid got a suit. I remember when JoMo took over some was mad that we ditched the suit wearing of the Mullen era. Seems like now yall just looking for **** to be pissed off at well I tell you what, if you asshats, especially leafy green bitchass so so pissed about it stop contributing...it's just that easy. If you feel "your money" is being wasted then don't put another dime towards athletics

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I can’t say I followed everything in this thread, but lettuce deserves a free suit for his efforts. Top shelf ranting.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I can promise you my child, with a 3.5 and impeccable reputation…countless hours of summer jobs and volunteer within my church and community…along with paying for at least half of his tuition….AND working in Starkville, also deserves a suit.

You want my phone number or my PayPal?
I’ll meet you today.

BTW he will prob walk on the football team….and won’t receive a scholarship until his senior year….which after, he will engineer a green house on the moon for your 17ing free taking compadres new sunscreen.

“Dales Moon Cricket Mole Spray”
Sounds like you one of them that goes to church just to fill up a pew. Maybe take a look at the book that you carry in under your arm and see what it has to say about being kind! Oh, and you do know what the "17" refers to on this message board, right???

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
If we can afford it - get every athlete a suit.
then stop 17n gouging me at every turn then come with hat in hand telling me that if all our alums give just $10/m then we can win 2 more games and increase my personal self worth.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Sounds like you one of them that goes to church just to fill up a pew. Maybe take a look at the book that you carry in under your arm and see what it has to say about being kind! Oh, and you do know what the "17" refers to on this message board, right???
what does it say about lies, greed, and theft

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
what does it say about lies, greed, and theft
Well, if your doing those things turn from those things. If not you'll pay for it one day. But you should be kind and set an example to those who are not as fortunate. What someone else does, you have no control over, but what you do, you have control over.

Reactions: drexeldog23

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
maybe try john chapter 4, that may help to understand kindness for anyone that may need further explanation. kinda explains why everyone needs kindness and should give kindness.

Reactions: yakalot2

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
You can kindly take a sip of a shut the 17 up. I’ve forgotten more about that book and western civ than you are capable of understanding.

Yes, I went on a rant but I never singled a person out. Which goes against everything you just preached. You are entitled to spend your money anyway you want. And so am I. It’s part of being a free citizen in America.

As for spouting bible verses, you need to take that self righteous stuff to an outhouse and flush it.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
You can kindly take a sip of a shut the 17 up. I’ve forgotten more about that book and western civ than you are capable of understanding.

Yes, I went on a rant but I never singled a person out. Which goes against everything you just preached. You are entitled to spend your money anyway you want. And so am I. It’s part of being a free citizen in America.

As for spouting bible verses, you need to take that self righteous stuff to an outhouse and flush it.
not sure about the singling out anything and how that goes against what i've posted but, i'll say no more on this subject.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You grow up poor…grow big and fast…learn to catch a football and tackle better than most….all of a sudden, that equates to suits? And the expectations of formal clothing?

Am I the only one that calls “bullshitj” here?
I just saw the headline and thought OK... I doubt the suit makes up an appreciable amount of what is spent on these guys. I also don't understand the purpose of the suit. However, I can't relate to the melt you've had over it. It didn't hit me that way.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Dude, go have a beer. And lighten up.
You left off "Francis"

Post a pic that makes you say Holy shit. - Page 81 - Lulz - Surly Horns

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
So wearing a suit equal’s capitalism? What happened to the guy who owns 4 oil and lube shops? Is he not a capitalist? He doesn’t wear a tailored suit.

What about a teacher? Are they not capitalist? Nevermind teachers are trying to keep America from undermining itself on tictok…give all to the craft.

Why is a suit such an item, that we must advert funds and “rep” to obtain?

Why not give every player a guitar?
This guy is wearing a suit of sorts, provided by the company...

Oil Change Service in Muskogee, OK | James Hodge Ford Muskogee

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
There’s some old adage about “dress for the job you want, not the job you have” isn’t there?
Can you not see this is for game day? That way we have a team show up and not a bunch of nitwits trying to out-ridiculous each other as they walk off the bus. It also sets an expectation and reinforces a standard that professionalism is expected (which I imagine is valuable when you’re GL, 4&1, down 3 and 2 seconds remaining while the other team is talking **** to draw a flag).
Meanwhile, you (@Lettuce) are reinforcing my impression that some of you old coots just can’t be 17in happy
I use that old saying to dress down to the level of comfort that I plan to wear on the job. If they don't like what I wear in the interview, they really aren't my people...

22 People Who Will Make You Want To Dance Like No One Is Watching ...

Reactions: Lettuce

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Personally I missed the suits before games. Treat it like business. It is after all. Im reminded of the remember the titans wear Denzel talks about getting suits and not looking like bums. Some of our players have looked like bums walking into the stadium the last few years wearing sweats or whatever.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Where is the line for Fans who don't really care. Show me the line of players who know the snap count and how to run the play. We seem to really have an issue with these two things.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Sweet dancing Jehovah. Our athletic department generates over $100 million per year. Vast majority of that coming from football. Being so staunchly against our players getting a free suit is the strangest of hills to die on.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022

ain t no Coupe Deville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box....

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I wonder if the school spent that money on new flat screens for the locker room instead of new suits the players can keep, would anyone say boo.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login