Article Steve Spurrier ‘feels sorry’ for Mississippi State with NIL budget - Dan Morrison

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Ole seriously doubt ole miss is spending 20 million dollars on nil. Steve admitted he did not know what either school is spending. So why say anything. Hell, most of us don't know what Miss State is spending.

If he wants to feel sorry for feel sorry of the dumbass hiring the man in charge has done.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Garbage article. NIL is not our worry. Our suckitude is the worry.
I am waiting to see how the revenue sharing and NIL pans out. I probably not buying season tickets next year. It is going to depend on what moves the HC makes on staff and if I feel good about, I am going to contribute my ticket money to the NIL. If he doesn't make changes I am moving on.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have been told that our budget is in the 3 million per year range across all sports. If true that’s definitely something to worry about if other schools are spending ten times that.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If thats not true... then enlighten us on what it is.
Believe it or not we are probably not going to know. You don't show your hand in a poker game. You don't let other schools know what you have on hand if you are going to get into a bidding war on a guy. We basically have a pay roll but unlike the NFL there is not spending cap.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Believe it or not we are probably not going to know. You don't show your hand in a poker game. You don't let other schools know what you have on hand if you are going to get into a bidding war on a guy. We basically have a pay roll but unlike the NFL there is not spending cap.
i realize we may not know the exact number. It would be foolish for any school to let that info out to the number.

However we did have someone say it was around 3 million and that was shot down immediately by another poster.

I have a really good idea on what we spend baseball wise. I have zero clue what we pay in the other sports. However, even being a "baseball" school, and all the other jazz we have amongst our baseball prorgram. We arent even top 5 in the SEC in terms of NIL spent on baseball players.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
i realize we may not know the exact number. It would be foolish for any school to let that info out to the number.

However we did have someone say it was around 3 million and that was shot down immediately by another poster.

I have a really good idea on what we spend baseball wise. I have zero clue what we pay in the other sports. However, even being a "baseball" school, and all the other jazz we have amongst our baseball prorgram. We arent even top 5 in the SEC in terms of NIL spent on baseball players.
dawgstudent might be in the know and can't say what it is.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You certainly know more than I do but that figure came from a current football staff member.
I'm not doubting you were told that number, but just to point out... staff members don't always know what's really going on. Maybe it's plausible deniability, or sometimes maybe just naivety. I knew some coaches back in the day that thought they landed recruits just by their sales pitch. They didn't know any details about the brown paper sack collective.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'm not doubting you were told that number, but just to point out... staff members don't always know what's really going on. Maybe it's plausible deniability, or sometimes maybe just naivety. I knew some coaches back in the day that thought they landed recruits just by their sales pitch. They didn't know any details about the brown paper sack collective.
Im very positive the coaches know the general budget of a program along with how much NIL or what type NIL a player is seeking. Coaches very much know whats going on now. All of them.

They may not know the exact budget. But its not hard for them to figure a general idea out based on math alone.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Im very positive the coaches know the general budget of a program along with how much NIL or what type NIL a player is seeking. Coaches very much know whats going on now. All of them.

They may not know the exact budget. But its not hard for them to figure a general idea out based on math alone.
I bet Charlie Winfield knows the exact number. But I'm sorry, he's not going to tell you either.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I bet Charlie Winfield knows the exact number. But I'm sorry, he's not going to tell you either.
OK? There are people that probably do know the exact number. Im not arguing that.

But if you think the coaches on staff dont know a general idea of the NIL being spent on football players.. that just isnt the case. The staff knows the general idea.. and they know what each player asked for and a general idea of what he was given.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
OK? There are people that probably do know the exact number. Im not arguing that.

But if you think the coaches on staff dont know a general idea of the NIL being spent on football players.. that just isnt the case. The staff knows the general idea.. and they know what each player asked for and a general idea of what he was given.
Sorry, my 'No' still stands. Request denied. You don't get to know what our budget is, and you're just going to have to learn to live with it.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Spurrior's son was fired by State a couple years ago. The man is pissy like he's been his whole life really. To be such a great coach, he's always had a knack for blaming people and taking shots.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Spurrior's son was fired by State a couple years ago. The man is pissy like he's been his whole life really. To be such a great coach, he's always had a knack for blaming people and taking shots.
Why was he fired ?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Here’s what I took from the conversation. The 3 million is the budget to get players to sign and on campus. It wasn’t stated but I assumed that there was another budget to retain current players. Coaches and staff are making deals with other schools about players. We will offer the guy you want less if you will offer this guy less so we can sign him. We won’t offer this guy if you won’t offer that guy. We’re not paying exorbitant fees to visit or list us in your top three so we’re not even in the game for a lot of players. A large amount of our NIL is going to scholarships to non scholarship players rather than salary or bonus type payments to players. There is an internal struggle between football and baseball over spending. Football believes Lemonis has squandered baseball’s budget and has had very little to show for it, can’t argue with that. Baseball gets a higher percentage per player than other sports, it wasn’t said if this was an athletic department decision or a donor specified result. Person may have been shooting me a line of crap, it may be the company line to tell the general public. I did ask about the OM rumors, all I got was a smile and a “ Yeah, the whole conference is waiting to see how that’s going to turn out”.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Here’s what I took from the conversation. The 3 million is the budget to get players to sign and on campus. It wasn’t stated but I assumed that there was another budget to retain current players. Coaches and staff are making deals with other schools about players. We will offer the guy you want less if you will offer this guy less so we can sign him. We won’t offer this guy if you won’t offer that guy. We’re not paying exorbitant fees to visit or list us in your top three so we’re not even in the game for a lot of players. A large amount of our NIL is going to scholarships to non scholarship players rather than salary or bonus type payments to players. There is an internal struggle between football and baseball over spending. Football believes Lemonis has squandered baseball’s budget and has had very little to show for it, can’t argue with that. Baseball gets a higher percentage per player than other sports, it wasn’t said if this was an athletic department decision or a donor specified result. Person may have been shooting me a line of crap, it may be the company line to tell the general public. I did ask about the OM rumors, all I got was a smile and a “ Yeah, the whole conference is waiting to see how that’s going to turn out”.

The above is the part that's asinine, and why NIL will never be something that all fans will donate towards.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We spent more than $3 million just for basketball.
i heard we paid Tolu a ton. Which is plain bad money management.

But as i stated. I dont know what we spend basketball or football wise (baseball i know a good bit) I have a rough idea but no real concrete info.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Sorry, my 'No' still stands. Request denied. You don't get to know what our budget is, and you're just going to have to learn to live with it.
The current college NIL situation is still bizarre. Its mantra should be “Give us money, and ask no questions”.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Colleges arent making deals with other colleges on things like that unless its way down the line guys. No deals are being made on top tier guys.

If BKB spent 3 million last season on a 15 man roster. Baseball isnt getting that type of money NIL wise per player. Not even close.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
i heard we paid Tolu a ton. Which is plain bad money management.

But as i stated. I dont know what we spend basketball or football wise (baseball i know a good bit) I have a rough idea but no real concrete info.
Why was it bad money management? Tolu was probably gone to Kentucky and then if he leaves - everyone bitches b/c we were being cheap. Tolu didn't have his best year of his career last year but damned if you do - damned if you don't.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Why was it bad money management? Tolu was probably gone to Kentucky and then if he leaves - everyone bitches b/c we were being cheap. Tolu didn't have his best year of his career last year but damned if you do - damned if you don't.
Tolu wasnt leaving for Kentucky.

I do agree damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login