Article Steve Spurrier ‘feels sorry’ for Mississippi State with NIL budget - Dan Morrison

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The current college NIL situation is still bizarre. Its mantra should be “Give us money, and ask no questions”.
I get it, I don't love it either and wish we didn't have the current system - that includes NIL and the 17ing transfer portal.

I also wish we were winning in football so we wouldn't be having these conversations. It's painfully obvious that although it's the same relative playing field for every school, the ones who are currently winning don't feel pressed to air their laundry. We, on the other hand, get called out by Spurrier, who knows not one damn thing of our NIL situation.

Wish in one hand, :poop: in the other, as they say.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don't know and at this point I really don't care. I'm just repeating what I was told by someone who should know.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Hey Steve, what has UF spent on NIL for football the past 3 yrs and how has that worked out for them??

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What is the return on the investment? To just have a seat at the table and have a team that can compete. So many schools operating on increasing deficit. Keeping up with the Jones', it's like watching a dysfunctional reality TV series. All in baby, money is no object. Lose it all trying to look good.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Here’s what I took from the conversation. The 3 million is the budget to get players to sign and on campus. It wasn’t stated but I assumed that there was another budget to retain current players. Coaches and staff are making deals with other schools about players. We will offer the guy you want less if you will offer this guy less so we can sign him. We won’t offer this guy if you won’t offer that guy. We’re not paying exorbitant fees to visit or list us in your top three so we’re not even in the game for a lot of players. A large amount of our NIL is going to scholarships to non scholarship players rather than salary or bonus type payments to players. There is an internal struggle between football and baseball over spending. Football believes Lemonis has squandered baseball’s budget and has had very little to show for it, can’t argue with that. Baseball gets a higher percentage per player than other sports, it wasn’t said if this was an athletic department decision or a donor specified result. Person may have been shooting me a line of crap, it may be the company line to tell the general public. I did ask about the OM rumors, all I got was a smile and a “ Yeah, the whole conference is waiting to see how that’s going to turn out”.
OM may very well have spent $20 MM for this year's team. But that level of spending isn't sustainable for them, and is only sustainable for the Texas' and Alabama's of the world. They threw all of their chips on the table for one year, and hope that it pays off. They're gonna lose 3 games this year and we'll all get to laugh at them next year when they don't have that kind of money to spend and they only return 5 or 6 players off of their 3 deep roster

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
A large amount of our NIL is going to scholarships to non scholarship players rather than salary or bonus type payments to players.

This may be true in baseball, but if that’s true in football we’ve got real problems.

(Yes, it’s evident we have real problems regardless)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login