Stewart Mandel of The Athletic grades 2022 - 23 head football coaching hires...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

It's difficult to argue with the grade here. It is a gamble but one State had to make.
Mississippi State (B-): Defensive coordinator Zach Arnett. Given the awful circumstances, with Mike Leach passing away in mid-December, it’s understandable why the school chose to promote its respected defensive coordinator. With some distance, however, it may prove more of a gamble to hand the reins of an SEC program to a 36-year-old whose narrow experience to date comprises scheming up defenses at San Diego State and Mississippi State.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

It's difficult to argue with the grade here. It is a gamble but one State had to make.

Arnett may turn out just fine but I will always disagree that we had to make the hire. We just didn’t. It’s not like we were protecting a top 5 class or something. I agree we had to make a hire quickly, but that could have been done without a knee jerk reaction like hiring Arnett.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Sanders grade feels like the most politically correct, I'm afraid of getting cancelled BS ever.

Journalists are becoming unreadable because they're so unreliable.

I bet in 5 years the Arnett hire looks good and Sanders is no longer at Colorado (not his choice).
Eh.

It's not so much political correctness as it is immediate impact when it comes to the portal.

But let's revisit Deion at the end of the 2023 season to see how things went in his first season-- which looks to be a tough one.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Arnett may turn out just fine but I will always disagree that we had to make the hire. We just didn’t. It’s not like we were protecting a top 5 class or something. I agree we had to make a hire quickly, but that could have been done without a knee jerk reaction like hiring Arnett.
I think making a hurry-up outside hire in those circumstances without an athletic director would have been a major disaster.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
I agree with you that we didn't have to hire him, but lets not fool ourselves. We had no AD, kids in the portal, players being poached a good class that were all recruited by these guys on staff....We weren't hiring Saban under these circumstances. It was going to be another Moorhead type hire, at best. No one was knocking down our door to come take over.

We know enough about Arnett, he was getting looks all over. He might flame out, but he was about our best option. And I 17ing love a good defense.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I’m on the We did the right thing band wagon. Now it was right at the time….will it be right in 3/4 years we will see but I bet Deion doesn’t do well. he may get some players but you have to coach see (Joe Mo 2018) and handing the reins to his son at QB shows me he is not ready for Prime Time

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I’m on the We did the right thing band wagon. Now it was right at the time….will it be right in 3/4 years we will see but I bet Deion doesn’t do well. he may get some players but you have to coach see (Joe Mo 2018) and handing the reins to his son at QB shows me he is not ready for Prime Time
Pokemon Go Animation GIF by javadoodles

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think making a hurry-up outside hire in those circumstances without an athletic director would have been a major disaster.
Agree. I'm very happy with the coaching staff. I reserve the right to complain on here incessantly when we actually start playing if they suck it up, don't call plays I like, don't recognize the real value of the 2nd string QB and don't line up in a 3TE set.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Sanders grade feels like the most politically correct, I'm afraid of getting cancelled BS ever.

I bet in 5 years the Arnett hire looks good and Sanders is no longer at Colorado (not his choice).
Colorado football hasn’t been relevant in 20 years (outside of one good season). Sanders may not win there but he’s at least generated more excitement around their football program than anything else they’ve done in decades.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It really wouldn't have been a "hurry-up" hire. Schools don't get to sit around, regardless of the circumstances.

And we were making a hire without an athletic director regardless. Arnett isn't somehow less risky because we didn't have an athletic director.

I don't have a problem with the Arnett hire. A guy who has had success as a coordinator here is a good candidate. But hopefully we hired him because we didn't think any other candidates could change our mind with an interview, not because we panicked and thought we couldn't do a coaching search.

Reactions: bully12

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

The last sentence in the blurb about Sanders makes the argument sound stupid, but I don't disagree with the grade. I don't think it's going to turn out well for them, but he at least has a chance to make noise with them. Most likely whoever they hire is going to have them suck the next couple of years, so it isn't a huge risk for them to hire somebody who might suck. At least with Sanders they get a guy who could plausibly upgrade their talent significantly in one year.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Colorado football hasn’t been relevant in 20 years (outside of one good season). Sanders may not win there but he’s at least generated more excitement around their football program than anything else they’ve done in decades.
Agree. Colorado won one game last season. Now they’ve got two five star recruits and more excitement and attention than they’ve gotten since Kordell Stewart was there. It’s not like they’ve been hiring big time coaches before now. Why not take a chance with Deion? It does seem weird to me the amount of people who seem to want him to fail. I don’t understand that.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Eh.

It's not so much political correctness as it is immediate impact when it comes to the portal.

But let's revisit Deion at the end of the 2023 season to see how things went in his first season-- which looks to be a tough one.
He had a lot of 4 and 3 stars at JSU and went through the SWAC with ease but once he stepped out, they got their asses whipped two years in a row.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

I think there's no better than a 50% chance that either is still around in 5 years

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It really wouldn't have been a "hurry-up" hire. Schools don't get to sit around, regardless of the circumstances.

And we were making a hire without an athletic director regardless. Arnett isn't somehow less risky because we didn't have an athletic director.

I don't have a problem with the Arnett hire. A guy who has had success as a coordinator here is a good candidate. But hopefully we hired him because we didn't think any other candidates could change our mind with an interview, not because we panicked and thought we couldn't do a coaching search.
The end of your post is essentially how I feel. If we kicked the tires on some no brainer candidates and they said no, then the arnett hire makes more sense. If we panicked and hired arnett, which is kinda what I think happened, then that is where I have a problem.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

That's all true. It still doesn't remotely warrant an A+ on the hiring scale considering his zero coaching experience above SWAC level, which is seriously bad these days.

That's *** kissing stuff.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
It does seem weird to me the amount of people who seem to want him to fail. I don’t understand that.
It’s cause folks be anti < 10 toes. If you ain’t have all 10 toes, people don’t like it and want you to fail. Like you’re less of a human or something. I’m pulling for him and think he gets them bowl eligible in 3 years or less.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Agree. Colorado won one game last season. Now they’ve got two five star recruits and more excitement and attention than they’ve gotten since Kordell Stewart was there. It’s not like they’ve been hiring big time coaches before now. Why not take a chance with Deion? It does seem weird to me the amount of people who seem to want him to fail. I don’t understand that.

I'll be very candid about my Deion feelings. He earned a ton of deserved respect as a player. I loved watching him as a player.

He hasn't earned that yet as a coach. He might earn it at some point, but the attention he gets as a coach is all about celebrity at this point. He won at JSU because his celebrity and magnetism brought in way more talent than he was competing against.

I don't want him to fail, but I don't think he's put in the time learning to coach under other great coaches to warrant the attention and adulation he's receiving.

Maybe I'm wrong. If I am, more power to Deion.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It’s cause folks be anti < 10 toes. If you ain’t have all 10 toes, people don’t like it and want you to fail. Like you’re less of a human or something. I’m pulling for him and think he gets them bowl eligible in 3 years or less.
I’m one of these folks and to be fair, people without all ten toes are less of a human. At least one toe less. Can’t make up for that just by adding weight. That’s not how it works.

Reactions: She Mate Me

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Agree. I'm very happy with the coaching staff. I reserve the right to complain on here incessantly when we actually start playing if they suck it up, don't call plays I like, don't recognize the real value of the 2nd string QB and don't line up in a 3TE set.
Me Too Girl GIF by Hollie Kitchens

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I’m one of these folks and to be fair, people without all ten toes are less of a human. At least one toe less. Can’t make up for that just by adding weight. That’s not how it works.

Maybe I'm prejudiced against coaches with not enough toes and I just didn't realize it.

This thread may be a breakthrough for me.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

It doesn't, and adding weight when you're working with 9 or fewer toes doesn't make any sense at all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login