Stoops: pay up KY fans, help us buy players like Georgia

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I don’t know the answer, but to be fair, can college coaches contribute to their own school’s NIL fund?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I know a billionaire. Last time he talked to me, he was complaining about having to pay his daughter’s grad school tuition. But he also became a billionaire by paying close attention to cash burn

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Georgia, BAMA, Tennessee, etc buying players is not a new phenomenon.
No, but at least in the past most players weren’t simply going to the highest bidder. And the ones who were taking big money were getting a fraction of what they are today.

And it’s not just paying them to sign now. You’ve got to pay to keep them every year or those teams will come poach your best players. You can forget about finding those small town diamonds in the rough like Mullen often did - they’ll be gone after everyone sees what they are capable of.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yeah, it helps when a multimillionaire asks people to pay their share when they just keep spending more money and then tell you to pay more.
You mean like Washington DC? Remember the Yankees before MLB did caps. We have been in the "and the national championship in college football goes to the highest bidder" for many years. It is just out in the open now.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I mean he’s right but a multi-millionaire asking a bunch of middle class fans to pay to help him out? Yikes.

And that’s why this shlt is in such a bad spot.
Has worked wonders for their men's basketball program. Those same fans have no problem with cash flow.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You mean like Washington DC? Remember the Yankees before MLB did caps. We have been in the "and the national championship in college football goes to the highest bidder" for many years. It is just out in the open now.
MLB doesn’t have a salary cap.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Nothing horrible at all that he said. Lane and Saban both have asked for money to buy players. He's just doing the same thing. Having said that I'm still not giving a dime to this 17 upped system. I've been slowly losing interest and not planning to watch much college football in the future. Just dropped YouTube tv.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
I’d like to know where all these millions are coming from for NIL. I’d like to know exactly how much each player is getting or is supposed to be worth. Until then IMO it is just like the old days everything is shrouded in secrecy and under the table. Which is BS!

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
How about no. This non-multimillionaire likes to take his family on trips. This non-multimillionaire is the only State fan in his family. This non-millionaire has kids in college. I've lost interest in some things in my life and no longer pay attention to some sports I watched as a kid. Keep this up and that might happen again.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’d like to know where all these millions are coming from for NIL. I’d like to know exactly how much each player is getting or is supposed to be worth. Until then IMO it is just like the old days everything is shrouded in secrecy and under the table. Which is BS!
I’ve been begging for more NIL transparency at a national level for a long time because I think there are actually a lot of people that would be more willing to give once they have a better understanding as to what impact it’s having.

So this begs the question…. why the complete lack of transparency across the board? I think the short and obvious answer is… fans, by and large, really don’t want know where this $$ is going

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
If Mark Stoops donated half his salary pre-tax that would net 4.5 M. If 10,000 fans each donated 1,000 that would net 10M. I am not even sure it is permissible for a coach to donate to NIL but even if he was the point is the amount of disposable income from the mass of a fanbase is always going to be the best engine to raise money. Unfortunately we are in a free-for-all era of college football that is accelerating its demise at least as we know it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
While I agree with you, if I was in his spot I too would be asking everyone to spend their money to help me keep getting mine.
I don't think I would/could. I think I'd certainly be talking to big donors. But I might let folks in the collectives take those bullets. On one hand - I get what he's doing, he's frustrated with the fans who bltch the loudest. He's in Dan Mullen 'can't beat Alabama territory'. But those fans also, even if they donated, would contribute the least towards actually landing players. It's sort of his cross to bear.

I mean I'll be honest, in my current spot with job/family.....well, let's just say I'm not getting too much return on my investments. And to be asked to donate more? I love MSU, but I don't love it that much. This shlt is for the big dogs, not some dude just trying to afford a margarita at the Mexican restaurant once a week.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've lost interest in some things in my life and no longer pay attention to some sports I watched as a kid. Keep this up and that might happen again.
It's already happened for me, it happened as soon as I heard about NIL in its present form. If it doesn't get wrangled in soon, there won't be college football fans as we know them now. The attendance numbers will continue to drop yearly as they have done recently and it won't be due to just suckage from the team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How about no. This non-multimillionaire likes to take his family on trips. This non-multimillionaire is the only State fan in his family. This non-millionaire has kids in college. I've lost interest in some things in my life and no longer pay attention to some sports I watched as a kid. Keep this up and that might happen again.
Same. I'm enjoying the NFL more than ever. It is what it is at that level.

And I don't know what 'level' booster you have to be at before you start actually influencing things, but most fans only real responsibility to the program is to buy tickets and come to games when you can, and obviously wear gear/promote the brand/type things. Maybe if you live out of state and can't do that, give a little bit to the BDC/academics/BI if it suits your fancy.

But these big drives to give all this money to BI? Man I just don't think they play that well. Glad we have the BI and extremely grateful for Charlie and Co., but you get my point here. Just seems like an impossible mountain to climb.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think the short and obvious answer is… fans, by and large, really don’t want know where this $$ is going
Hell no you don't. And you'd absolutely hate the players as well, if you knew how it was being obtained.

Seriously, I'm to the level of 17 these clown a$$ kids. If you're worth NIL, you'll get it. But sitting out there scheming with the portal to get some? That shlt needs to be fixed.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
No. Against the rules.
I can see where coaches make NIL part of their contract negotiations at some point. I get $4mil/yr and a guarantee that the school, through whatever resources, provides at least $5mil/yr in NIL opportunities to recruit with or something along those lines.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
He should be making the pitch to the corporate level big bucks folks who actually could justify a business benefit from NIL. Wonder if a coach can exchange pro bono marketing work in for donations to NIL? If legal that’s where I think the mid-tier teams should be focusing to generate NIL dollars. Put the coaches to work.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Dear Coach Stoops, what percentage of your salary are you willing to forego in order to benefit y’all’s NIL?
This is really the question. Not sure if that is even allowed, but I’m also not sure there are a whole lot of rules around the NIL space now.

I’ve always been more of a NFL fan anyway but coaches begging people to donate to NIL is just going to push people away from college football.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t know the answer, but to be fair, can college coaches contribute to their own school’s NIL fund?

No. Against the rules.

It’s against the rules the same way that it’s against the rules to sell a lawnmower on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace without claiming the income on your federal tax return. Explicitly forbidden, but so easy to make it untraceable that it doesn’t even matter.

IMG_5291.jpeg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He should be making the pitch to the corporate level big bucks folks who actually could justify a business benefit from NIL. Wonder if a coach can exchange pro bono marketing work in for donations to NIL? If legal that’s where I think the mid-tier teams should be focusing to generate NIL dollars. Put the coaches to work.
Bingo. This is where the reform need to happen. All these collectives who solicit donations simply to pay players for nothing. This area is where players have the power. And further, it needs to be a serious compliance violation if it is proven that a player solicited a school for money.

Reactions: Bulldog45

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
First of all, Kentucky, OM, State probably have to beat UGAs, Bamas offers to get a 5star to consider them over a blue blood.

But instead of begging fans.... or maybe beg fans as a ruse..... but hire a UK fan to cut your grass for 10k a month. Maybe the UK fan will give 9k of it to NIL.

Or hey MSU, if you want charge $30 to park. Hire MSU fan parking lot sweepers to sweep the lots post game for $1M. Maybe MSU fan sweepers becomes a NIL sponsor.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Dear Coach Stoops, what percentage of your salary are you willing to forego in order to benefit y’all’s NIL?
Yea, I don't get why more coaches at these small schools aren't doing this. If I'm making $5M and have been making millions for years, I gladly tell the school I will donate $1M per year to replace commitments by existing boosters if those boosters will commit to making that money available to NIL. Ideally ask for a 2-1 or 3-1 type deal where they commit to double or triple your contribution.

That's nothing to do with being unselfish, but it seems like it'd be worth it to have the benefit of the players and slightly reduce my stress. At the very least, it keeps your name more viable if a higher profile program comes available.

I'm sure that'd be against the rules if it were documented as an agreement, but I can't imagine it being a problem to do on a handshake.

Reactions: Maroon13

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I give to the BDC and that's it for me. Winning a NC isn't worth me forgoing a vacation or taking care of my family. Especially with the cost of living going up. We won a Baseball NC and the sportscasters went from saying we had never won a NC to saying we have only won one. I'm souring on college football because they just keep wanting us to throw money.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think its downright hypocritical and disgusting for a university that received $49.9 million dollars in fiscal 2022 (like each of the SEC schools did for their participation in you know, athletics) to deposit 100% of that and then turn right around to the fans and say "if you want to compete and get better you have to belly up to the bar or else......"

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yea, I don't get why more coaches at these small schools aren't doing this. If I'm making $5M and have been making millions for years, I gladly tell the school I will donate $1M per year to replace commitments by existing boosters if those boosters will commit to making that money available to NIL.
Now that's an even better idea. These coaches can give to their schools scholarship fund.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I give to the BDC and that's it for me. Winning a NC isn't worth me forgoing a vacation or taking care of my family. Especially with the cost of living going up. We won a Baseball NC and the sportscasters went from saying we had never won a NC to saying we have only won one. I'm souring on college football because they just keep wanting us to throw money.
You’d do more good if you moved you BDC contribution to the NIL Initiative.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login