Oct 25, 2018
From committee chair:

strength of schedule was big
Non conference strength of schedule

and schedule within the league since there is no more everyone plays everyone

as I stated numerous times… our schedule killed us

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Our SOS was 14. The only blemish on our hosting résumé was Quad-4 losses (5). We host if we have two or three fewer.

The committee won't admit it, but not providing geographic and conference diversity didn't help us either.
Non conference strength of schedule killed us.

and they dug into the schedules. We played the 10th best sec schedule.

schedule killed us.

be interested to see how we matched up with the common opponents he mentioned saying they looked at, not sure if we had any or how we fared

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Our SOS was 14. The only blemish on our hosting résumé was Quad-4 losses (5). We host if we have two or three fewer.

The committee won't admit it, but not providing geographic and conference diversity didn't help us either.
Our OOC SOS leaps off the page compared to AZ and ECU.

I am begging this staff to try to play 3 at South Al, SELA, Troy or Samford. I am begging them to play Jackson State twice at Trustmark Park. Honestly those 5 games alone would help a lot. But most of all stop scheduling the guaranteed losers like Alcorn, MSM and North Alabama.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Non conference record killed us.
Fixed it for you. You cannot lose 5 Quad 4 games. We learned that in 2014 & had to sacrifice Matthew Stevens for our sins.

If we win 2 more of 2 losses to Austin Peay, 1 to Central Arkansas, 1 to Missouri, 1 to Air Force, & 1 to Georgia Southern - we would be hosting. This is not even considering that we should have 1-2 games of 2 losses @ Florida, 2 losses @ UPIG, 2 losses @ Ole Miss, 1 loss vs. Georgia, & loss in Biloxi vs. USA. Several SEC schools had worse OOC SOS than MSU & are hosting - they just won the games.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Fixed it for you. You cannot lose 5 Quad 4 games. We learned that in 2014 & had to sacrifice Matthew Stevens for our sins.

If we win 2 more of 2 losses to Austin Peay, 1 to Central Arkansas, 1 to Missouri, 1 to Air Force, & 1 to Georgia Southern - we would be hosting. This is not even considering that we should have 1-2 games of 2 losses @ Florida, 2 losses @ UPIG, 2 losses @ Ole Miss, 1 loss vs. Georgia, & loss in Biloxi vs. USA. Several SEC schools had worse OOC SOS than MSU & are hosting - they just won the games.
Hell while we are at it let’s just say we shoulda won them all.

baseball teams dont go undefeated. The schedule gave us no room for error and by what the committee chair said ooc schedule, who you played in conference…. it was a huge factor... and ours compared to other bubble teams wasnt even in the ballpark.

play a tough schedul, even if you lose you get rewarded. Play an easy schedule, better win them all. The choice is obvious and bit us this year

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
The "Non Con SOS" fuss falls a little flat to me when we end up with 16 Q1 wins, and we get jumped by Arizona's 3 (3!?!) and ECU's 5.

Here's Non-Con SOS around the SEC this year by ending RPI:

#1 Tennessee - #176
#2 Texas AM - #116
#3 Kentucky - #83
#5 Arkansas - #41
#6 Georgia - #102
#19 Vandy - #173
#21 South Car - #140
#23 LSU - #142
#24 Alabama - #165
#25 MSU - #132

We're almost perfectly in the middle of that group (5th out of 10). Even if you want to deep dive, our Non-Con before SEC play started looks reasonable. We have 8 games against Top 75 teams between Georgia Southern, Evansville, USM & South Alabama. It's really the Midweeks after the LSU series that stung: Memphis (#201), Central Ark (#202). UAB (#184), Alcorn (#303), @ Memphis (#201) & UNA (#276).

Ultimately, the NCAA needs to say they're throwing out your lowest __ (3?) RPI games. Especially if they're worried about TV inventory in May 2025, 2026, 2027, etc.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The "Non Con SOS" fuss falls a little flat to me when we end up with 16 Q1 wins, and we get jumped by Arizona's 3 (3!?!) and ECU's 5.

#1 Tennessee - #176
#2 Texas AM - #116
#3 Kentucky - #83
#5 Arkansas - #41
#6 Georgia - #102
#19 Vandy - #173
#21 South Car - #140
#23 LSU - #142
#24 Alabama - #165
#25 MSU - #132

We're almost perfectly in the middle of that group (5th out of 10). Even if you want to deep dive, our Non-Con before SEC play started looks reasonable. We have 8 games against Top 75 teams between Georgia Southern, Evansville, USM & South Alabama. It's really the Midweeks after the LSU series that stung: Memphis (#201), Central Ark (#202). UAB (#184), Alcorn (#303), @ Memphis (#201) & UNA (#276).

Ultimately, the NCAA needs to say they're throwing out your lowest __ (3?) RPI games. Especially if they're worried about TV inventory in May 2025, 2026, 2027, etc.
Non conf rpi
Ten 17
Txam 1
Kentucky 23
Arkansa 3
Georgia 4
Vandy 32
South Carolina 29
LSU 26
Alabama 34
Us 52
Florida 44
Ole miss 42
Auburn 21

last in the league outside of Missouri

also our overall sos was 10th in the league

we played in the toughest league. But played one of the easiest schedules in the league. And got 7 wins against teams that didn’t make the post season.. all the while missing the two best teams in the league.

we are using our league as our big argument… and we didn’t dominate our league despite given the opportunity to do so schedule wise

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

#1 Tennessee - #176
#2 Texas AM - #116
#3 Kentucky - #83
#5 Arkansas - #41
#6 Georgia - #102
#19 Vandy - #173
#21 South Car - #140
#23 LSU - #142
#24 Alabama - #165
#25 MSU - #132

Also like I mentioned in another post. We played 2 ooc quad 1 games. Our entire quad 1 schedule was sec games.. our argument was our sec record and quad 1 wins.. when in reality they were both the same things

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Also like I mentioned in another post. We played 2 ooc quad 1 games. Our entire quad 1 schedule was sec games.. our argument was our sec record and quad 1 wins.. when in reality they were both the same things
Would have been easy to have a really good OOS schedule. Replace 3 vs Mt St Mary with something like a road series at a LA Tech or South Alabama or a neutral tournament like the one Bama played in (Arizona, TCU & Dallas Baptist). Do that and no one’s criticizing our OOC strength of schedule.

Reactions: HuntDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
SOS killed us because we didn’t win games.

go win 40-45 games. Or schedule tougher. I know which is easier to do, hopefully the people in charge understand it now
Since you are psychic, I’m sure you predicted the games we’d lose this spring. So it would be easy to replace them with harder games, right?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Since you are psychic, I’m sure you predicted the games we’d lose this spring.
Again the easiest path to hosting. Schedule better in the non conference or win 40-45 games…, which is easier to do? Win baseball games or call up a few other schools to put on the schedule?

even someone as dumb as you knows the right answer.

and after hearing the committee chair say we looked at non conference schedule, and couldn’t rely on conference record as much anymore because all the teams don’t play each other…. It’ll be even dumber to not tweak the schedule.

again we aren’t talking a major change. Change 5 games and you’re fine. Shouldn’t be hard to do.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Exactly the point, it wasn't the OOC schedule but rather the OOC performance that did us in for hosting.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
From committee chair:

strength of schedule was big
Non conference strength of schedule

and schedule within the league since there is no more everyone plays everyone

as I stated numerous times… our schedule killed us
Excuse me! Chair was full of BS and answered with a non-answer. Check ECU and Az SOS and quad 1 records. They rewarded them for winning their sub-par conference. Every committee member got what they wanted by getting their teams in our hosting. Check Coastal Carolina getting in and how they finished in their conference since how you did in conference was so important for some schools but not others.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Non conf rpi
Ten 17
Txam 1
Kentucky 23
Arkansa 3
Georgia 4
Vandy 32
South Carolina 29
LSU 26
Alabama 34
Us 52
Florida 44
Ole miss 42
Auburn 21

we played in the toughest league. But played one of the easiest schedules in the league. And got 7 wins against teams that didn’t make the post season.. all the while missing the two best teams in the league.

we are using our league as our big argument… and we didn’t dominate our league despite given the opportunity to do so schedule wise
Right, but Non-Con RPI is simply:

Non-Con SOS + Outcomes + Locations

If we ended up 10th in Non-Con RPI, it’s hard for me to look at that equation at get too upset at the part of the equation where we were 5th.

I don’t think how much this really matters with this committee. It’s pretty clear they wanted more West Coast regionals and ECU’s AD played a role. I’m not sure State is jumping either of them without changing the outcome of like 3 games. We were clearly not as “one game away” with this committee as we thought.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Excuse me! Chair was full of BS and answered with a non-answer. Check ECU and Az SOS and quad 1 records. They rewarded them for winning their sub-par conference. Every committee member got what they wanted by getting their teams in our hosting. Check Coastal Carolina getting in and how they finished in their conference since how you did in conference was so important for some schools but not others.
Think d1 baseball got 14 of the 16 sites
Think ba got 15 of the 16

there are always snubs and disappointments. This one hits close to home for us, but the reality is when you are on the bubble your at the mercy of how people see us and others.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Right, but Non-Con RPI is simply:

Non-Con SOS + Outcomes + Locations

If we ended up 10th in Non-Con RPI, it’s hard for me to look at that equation at get too upset at the part of the equation where we were 5th.

I don’t think how much this really matters with this committee. It’s pretty clear they wanted more West Coast regionals and ECU’s AD played a role. I’m not sure State is jumping either of them without changing the outcome of like 3 games. We were clearly not as “one game away” with this committee as we thought.
Agreed definitely not 1 game away

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again the easiest path to hosting. Schedule better in the non conference or win 40-45 games…, which is easier to do? Win baseball games or call up a few other schools to put on the schedule?

even someone as dumb as you knows the right answer.

and after hearing the committee chair say we looked at non conference schedule, and couldn’t rely on conference record as much anymore because all the teams don’t play each other…. It’ll be even dumber to not tweak the schedule.

again we aren’t talking a major change. Change 5 games and you’re fine. Shouldn’t be hard to do.
It’s easier to beat bad teams. We just screwed up and lost this year. And that’s on Lemonis.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog and HuntDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
We can debate week schedule vs bad losses forever. Fact is it was both. Win the 5 Q1 games & we’re hosting. Get the non-conference strength of schedule inside the top 80 with the same record, we’re probably hosting. I still think we deserved to host. But the combination of those two things gave them all the reason they needed to send us to Virginia.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We can debate week schedule vs bad losses forever. Fact is it was both. Win the 5 Q1 games & we’re hosting. Get the non-conference strength of schedule inside the top 80 with the same record, we’re probably hosting. I still think we deserved to host. But the combination of those two things gave them all the reason they needed to send us to Virginia.
I can go with that. But I admit that one reason we might should have hosted is because it helps the sport. We didn’t close the deal, and we knew how the committee views things. They’ve wanted to make it national forever, unless it was just totally obvious. Oh well. Now we go on the road to prove ourselves.

I said this in a text group. This program right now just does t have much karma, don’t have many friends. If we want to go that route, you better win like Tennessee.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm sorry but mid week games should not mean crap to base a tourney selection on. That's horse shat when almost every weekend you play top baseball teams.

Tell me that half those hosting would have even made the SEC tournament.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Us hosting isn’t better for the game. That would be like saying Alabama making the playoffs is better for the game.

There may be a kid that gets to go to a regional in Santa Barbara that would have never seen baseball if it weren’t for that…. The better for the game argument is dumb.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
For sure. Win 5 more games we are in… that really never has been my argument.

the reward is huge to play.. play
Not win, just play, look at Florida…a real non conference schedule. The penalty is huge for not winning a bad non conference schedule….. so is it easier to win games or make a schedule…. For us we seem to struggle at both, but the schedule change is a no brainer

patdog

May 28, 2007
For sure. Win 5 more games we are in… that really never has been my argument.

the reward is huge to play.. play
Not win, just play, look at Florida…a real non conference schedule. The penalty is huge for not winning a bad non conference schedule….. so is it easier to win games or make a schedule…. For us we seem to struggle at both, but the schedule change is a no brainer
I completely agree. Play a competitive OOC schedule and you'll be rewarded if you lose several of those games. Play the schedule we did, and there's a lot less room for a random loss here or there. Its just a completely unnecessary risk to take.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I can go with that. But I admit that one reason we might should have hosted is because it helps the sport. We didn’t close the deal, and we knew how the committee views things. They’ve wanted to make it national forever, unless it was just totally obvious. Oh well. Now we go on the road to prove ourselves.

I said this in a text group. This program right now just does t have much karma, don’t have many friends. If we want to go that route, you better win like Tennessee.
It doesn't help the sport when we host. Nobody's watching. We've hosted countless times before and it hasn't helped the sport any. It's great for us and our fans, and maybe even SEC fans. But nobody else cares.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Non conf rpi
Ten 17
Txam 1
Kentucky 23
Arkansa 3
Georgia 4
Vandy 32
South Carolina 29
LSU 26
Alabama 34
Us 52
Florida 44
Ole miss 42
Auburn 21

The RPI was 13th in the league because of 4 bad losses, not because the schedule was horrible. As has already been stated, our nonconference SOS was middle of the pack in the league. Its not the reason we missed the cut.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It doesn't help the sport when we host. Nobody's watching. We've hosted countless times before and it hasn't helped the sport any. It's great for us and our fans, and maybe even SEC fans. But nobody else cares.
In that case @retire the banner may be right. Why do we care?

At the same time, our baseball program is attracting students. That is fact. Disagree with that, and you’re wrong.

Do those students move the needle? That’s debatable.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Arizona won a shìtty conference and won the shatty conference tourney (that Oregon State didn't care about) and had a decent non conference strength of schedule but lost against good teams everywhere all year.

ECU lost seven of its last 13 games, but that didn't matter because they did decent before that. Don't mind State who had one bad week at the beginning of the season...

This committee is pitiful

• Haha
Reactions: patdog and HuntDawg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Taking the SEC games out that we blew leads in, had we split Austin Peay, swept AF, and beaten C Arkansas are hosting ?
That’s 3 more W’s and we’re sitting at 41 wins and RPI probably around 17-18.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The RPI was 13th in the league because of 4 bad losses, not because the schedule was horrible. As has already been stated, our nonconference SOS was middle of the pack in the league. Its not the reason we missed the cut.

Exactly.

This is obvious to anyone who is interested in reality more than being right about every 17'n stupid position they take.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Exactly.

This is obvious to anyone who is interested in reality more than being right about every 17'n stupid position they take.
God you’re getting close to goat level.

Ive said many times you win all the games scheduling doesn’t matter. But if you’re not good enough to do that, which most aren’t, you need to play a schedule that’s tough. Because it rewards you.

so again we can either win all our games, or schedule tougher. I would say you can figure out which is easier to do… but I’m starting to think you might not be capable of doing so

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Us hosting isn’t better for the game. That would be like saying Alabama making the playoffs is better for the game.

There may be a kid that gets to go to a regional in Santa Barbara that would have never seen baseball if it weren’t for that…. The better for the game argument is dumb.
Connor Hujsak said just last week on ESPN that the point in time that he really started getting serious about his baseball future was when his team (VCU) played in the Starkville regional 3 years ago. He's likely not the only player/parent to ever have that thought after experiencing Dudy Noble. Or maybe even seeing it on TV.

I talked to a few Stanford fans after the super who said they were going back to tell everyone they knew that they had seen how great college baseball can be, and they need to step up their game in Palo Alto. I thought that was pretty cool.

There are different ways to 'grow the game'.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Connor Hujsak said just last week on ESPN that the point in time that he really started getting serious about his baseball future was when his team (VCU) played in the Starkville regional 3 years ago. He's likely not the only player/parent to ever have that thought after experiencing Dudy Noble. Or maybe even seeing it on TV.

I talked to a few Stanford fans after the super who said they were going back to tell everyone they knew that they had seen how great college baseball can be, and they need to step up their game in Palo Alto. I thought that was pretty cool.

There are different ways to 'grow the game'.
Sure it is. It’s a great way to grow the game. But playing a regional in Santa Barbara for the first time ever will grow it as well… and they earned that right to host. Hopefully we will again soon

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
God you’re getting close to goat level.

Ive said many times you win all the games scheduling doesn’t matter. But if you’re not good enough to do that, which most aren’t, you need to play a schedule that’s tough. Because it rewards you.

so again we can either win all our games, or schedule tougher. I would say you can figure out which is easier to do… but I’m starting to think you might not be capable of doing so
We were good enough you stupid bastard. The fact that we were on the hosting bubble bears that out.

Lemonis has to answer some questions if we don’t at least get to the regional final.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We were good enough you stupid bastard. The fact that we were on the hosting bubble bears that out.

Lemonis has to answer some questions if we don’t at least get to the regional final.
Goat. Real baseball convo. How’s the weight lifting program coming?

had we won the games we might have hosted. Had we played a real schedule we would be where Georgia is.

Our schedule held us one notch below where we woulda coulda or shoulda been…..go watch a travel ball tournament

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login