Super in Hattiesburg.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Southern out bid Tennessee 1000 seats for the super, by adding Temp seats.

This should spur Tennessee to get off their wallet and build something besides the “band box” that Lindsey Nelson Stadium is, but nothing still sucks like a Big Orange, so we shall see.

Welcome to toasty South Mississippi, y’all.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I don't think that is correct as I don't think that ballpark has any room to just throw up temporary seating.

Southern's avg attendance is more than TN and the Eagles had about 900 more for their Super last year than the Vols did. Currently, I believe the park in Hattiesburg can house more than the one in Nashville.

Last edited:

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
Deja vu as the Buzzards hosted a super last year although a much tougher draw then.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Both screenshots taken from their baseball home pages. Buzzards claim 6,346 last season against the Bears though.

1686087532967.png
1686087491005.png

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"This should spur Tennessee to get off their wallet and build something besides the “band box” that Lindsey Nelson Stadium is, but nothing still sucks like a Big Orange, so we shall see."

I think you can pretty well bet your house on this.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Knoxville news reports that number of seats was the committee’s deciding factor.
With temp seats, Southern had one thousand seats more.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Knoxville news reports that number of seats was the committee’s deciding factor.
With temp seats, Southern had one thousand seats more.

Got a link? Because I’m calling BS. Just like with MSU-Vandy in 2018, it was merit based. USM was the much higher 2-seed coming into the tourney with a more well thought of resume which is why they got paired with a lower 1-seed. The NCAA hasn’t given a crap about seating capacities or ticket sales since the mid-90’s. Now that they are officially seeding the Top 16 teams, it follows an S-curve….whether the NCAA formally admits that or not.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
"This should spur Tennessee to get off their wallet and build something besides the “band box” that Lindsey Nelson Stadium is, but nothing still sucks like a Big Orange, so we shall see."

I think you can pretty well bet your house on this.
Nah. It’s a non-revenue generating club sport. Sunk cost.*******

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Got a link? Because I’m calling BS. Just like with MSU-Vandy in 2018, it was merit based. USM was the much higher 2-seed coming into the tourney with a more well thought of resume which is why they got paired with a lower 1-seed. The NCAA hasn’t given a crap about seating capacities or ticket sales since the mid-90’s. Now that they are officially seeding the Top 16 teams, it follows an S-curve….whether the NCAA formally admits that or not.
Why make all this fuss? It's just a niche sport anyway.

Reactions: aTotal360

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
How much does the committee really try to keep the regional pairings regional though? I mean, you have Oregon St. traveling to LSU for a regional. Two years ago LSU went to Oregon. Penn got sent to Alabama. Texas Tech went to Florida....there's nothing regional about it anymore except for someone like Samford always staying local/1 state away.

The reason I ask is because I figure this is the only reason why the committee seeds the top 16 teams and they don't actually seed all 64 teams. If they seed everyone, then "who hosts the super" when the regional hosts are eliminated becomes automatic. Or is there some other reason why they don't seed all 64 that I'm not aware of?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login