Tailgate Question

DovaDawg

Aug 28, 2007
Coming to a game for the first time in a while. Where would be the best public area to throw up a tent on Sat morning? I would assume The Junction will pack out on Friday evening. Just want to get close enough for the kids to get the whole pre-game experience.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Big grassy area just East of Dorman going up the hill toward old McCarthy gym is partially taken up by Southern Traditions Tailgates but most of it and all along the street is open for anyone. You can be close to the Junction, Junction Johns/Janes, see the band march by etc.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
That is a really good spot. I would even say, if you get on the sidewalk coming form the north face of the Tin Gym you can use the sidewalk as part of your tailgate area. Through traffic doesn't really happen there. It is a good spot.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Facing the cheese/ice cream sale building, up the hill(with the pine trees on it) to the left. It won't get full. If you get a good spot you can see the jumbotron from the tailgate and watch other games leading up to game time.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Sometimes, with light crowds, the Junction has some space towards the west. It is easy to drop off on Stone Blvd. just got to be early early before they close the road.

I hear they expect 50k this weekend. So could be some junction space.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Coming to a game for the first time in a while. Where would be the best public area to throw up a tent on Sat morning? I would assume The Junction will pack out on Friday evening. Just want to get close enough for the kids to get the whole pre-game experience.

My favorite places are at bell island or over nearby/just to the side of the union. But I like it because it's a little quieter over there. You might have a hard time lugging tailgate equipment over there or may find yourself a little far away from some of the activities you want to check out.

Truthfully, peeper's advice is the best. That's in the middle of everything. Dawg walk will go through there, the band will do their drumline thing over there and originate their parade to the stadium from there, etc.

PointAfter

Nov 28, 2017
Excuse the interruption, I have a parking pass this year after many years without one. Can someone tell me if all I need to get to my lot is the pass displayed on my phone? Thanks!

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Under the big tree due south of the Bost there are usually places there to set up on Saturday. Also to the east of Bost Ext Drive is a good place. You have access to the Bost restrooms and Barnes and Noble is nearby, but you'll have to walk to game day activities. The key to successfully tailgating a 6:30 game is having a plan to get it broke down and loaded before the game is over. Obviously where you park your vehicle in association with your tailgate location is of the utmost importance. Also anything of value left at an unattended tailgate has a decent probability of being liberated.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
They have scanners that are supposed to read your parking pass but in my experience in our lot as well as during baseball season, the scanners work about like the Jackson water pumps and water meters and they end up telling me to go ahead and go in anyway. Hint: Its usually the sun shining on your phone screen causing it to not be seen by the reader and if you shade it somehow it will usually work. I only do that if they say they need to call a supervisor or try and delay me somehow

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login