Take Harrell off the list of OC candidates

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If we couldn’t persuade him to leave Purdue, he didn’t want to come anyway. I personally couldn’t imagine leaving WVU for PU.
Maybe he left because the offense was next to last in the defensive minded big 12. I can't believe Arnett didn't hire that kind of firepower his first day

Reactions: Dawg1976

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe he left because the offense was next to last in the defensive minded big 12. I can't believe Arnett didn't hire that kind of firepower his first day
Again, he led the PAC 12 in offense in 2021 and improved WVU by 70 yards per game and 5 points per game in his only season there. Don't think you can reasonably blame WVU's problems on him.

Reactions: She Mate Me

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why do people think Harrell is a hotshot? USC wasn't good and neither was WV.

I'm not damning him to hell or anything, I know good talent can get stuck in bad places at times. But there's still no reason to be upset that we didn't get him to be our OC.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why do people think Harrell is a hotshot? USC wasn't good and neither was WV.

I'm not damning him to hell or anything, I know good talent can get stuck in bad places at times. But there's still no reason to be upset that we didn't get him to be our OC.
He's been around with experience calling plays and leach guy. What worries me about spurrier is that he's never done that. Harrell said he left leach because he would never get the opportunity to coach qbs and be the OC because that's what leach did on his teams.
Littrell would be fine with me because he adapts to his qb. Harrell is an up and coming OC. Some of the anyways on him is that he doesn't know how to scheme the run game that well just because he hasn't been exposed as much.

Reactions: SwampDonkie24

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Neal Brown sucks! I said it when people mentioned him for our job. He didn't recruit worth a crap. WV issues are on him, not Harrell. Harrell killed it before going to that ********.
But I'm still saying it's going to be Littrell or Hatcher here for my best guess.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Neal Brown sucks! I said it when people mentioned him for our job. He didn't recruit worth a crap. WV issues are on him, not Harrell. Harrell killed it before going to that ********.
But I'm still saying it's going to be Littrell or Hatcher here for my best guess.
Littrell, yes. Hatcher doesn't impress me.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Hatcher has been a head coach since 2000 at either the Division II or FCS level. Would he want to all of a sudden go back to just being an offensive coordinator?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Again, he led the PAC 12 in offense in 2021 and improved WVU by 70 yards per game and 5 points per game in his only season there. Don't think you can reasonably blame WVU's problems on him.
I looked it up. Looked more like 38 yards a game to me. 371 to 399 and 5.4 points

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDawg0074

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Littrell has a 45-45 record and just got fired at North Texas. Not Texas. North 17n Texas. Not sure that screams winner to me. Maybe I'm dumb but I can't see running out and hiring anyone that isn't a sure fire winner. You can bet your *** CML wouldn't be hiring him

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Littrell has a 45-45 record and just got fired at North Texas. Not Texas. North 17n Texas. Not sure that screams winner to me. Maybe I'm dumb but I can't see running out and hiring anyone that isn't a sure fire winner. You can bet your *** CML wouldn't be hiring him
I don’t think a head coaching record has anything to do with how good a coordinator a coach is. And 45-45 at North Texas isn’t even that bad. It’s North Texas, not TCU or Baylor.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
He had good offenses at North Texas and when he was an OC at Arizona, Indiana, and North Carolina. We don’t need him to be the head coach, we just need him to help us have a good offense, which has been a strength of his historically.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don’t think a head coaching record has anything to do with how good a coordinator a coach is. And 45-45 at North Texas isn’t even that bad. It’s North Texas, not TCU or Baylor.
Exactly. Playing UNT level competition. Just my opinion but I see nothing impressive. If he was real good he woulda been hired by a bigger school instead of fired by a smaller school. None of us are making the decisions here but thats not the direction I would go.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. Playing UNT level competition. Just my opinion but I see nothing impressive. If he was real good he woulda been hired by a bigger school instead of fired by a smaller school. None of us are making the decisions here but thats not the direction I would go.
Last coach at UNT with a better record than him was Hayden Fry in the 1970s in Division I-AA. Most of the coaches in between were a LOT worse than .500. If you go 45-45 at UNT, you've done something.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

UNT level competition still had as much or more talent than UNT. And as stated, he’s been a Power 5 OC as well. Schematically, he fits what we want to do.

There’s no option out there that is going to run the same Air Raid as Leach. That means we’re going to open up the playbook a bit (a positive thing), but potentially lose the precision we had under Leach due to running fewer reps per play (maybe a negative thing, we’ll see). Littrell is a great option because Arnett needs a guy who can be the head coach of the offense, just like Leach let him be the head coach of the defense. He’s not going to be able to fool with it. There’s nobody more qualified for that than a former HC who also has Air Raid experience and also has experience under Leach.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We will see what they do but I see no reason to go out and get an OC unless he is a sure fire impressive candidate. I'm sure Spurrier can do anything Littrell or Harrell can do. If Mike didn't have complete confidence in him he would not have kept him around. Most likely he would have parted ways like Littrell and so many others did. But what do I know

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We will see what they do but I see no reason to go out and get an OC unless he is a sure fire impressive candidate. I'm sure Spurrier can do anything Littrell or Harrell can do. If Mike didn't have complete confidence in him he would not have kept him around. Most likely he would have parted ways like Littrell and so many others did. But what do I know
So you don’t want to hire a guy who has plenty of Power 5 OC experience and head coaching experience but do want to hire a guy who has never been much more than a position coach. And Spurrier was only with Leach for five seasons. It’s not like he’s been his second in command since his Texas Tech days.

Reactions: mo7888

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
So you don’t want to hire a guy who has plenty of Power 5 OC experience and head coaching experience but do want to hire a guy who has never been much more than a position coach. And Spurrier was only with Leach for five seasons. It’s not like he’s been his second in command since his Texas Tech days.
Yes. Have you ever even looked at his coaching experience ? He was coaching way before he got with Leach. Look into it. Have you ever heard of the fun and gun ? That offense changed the SEC. He might be able to add a few new wrinkles to the Air Raid

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Yes. Have you ever even looked at his coaching experience ? He was coaching way before he got with Leach. Look into it. Have you ever heard of the fun and gun ? That offense changed the SEC. He might be able to add a few new wrinkles to the Air Raid
Yeah, I have. He’s 50 years old and has never been a coordinator. There’s a reason for that. If his last name wasn’t Spurrier, would people still be wanting him to be promoted? I doubt it.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, I have. He’s 50 years old and has never been a coordinator. There’s a reason for that. If his last name wasn’t Spurrier, would people still be wanting him to be promoted? I doubt it.
If he was coaching somewhere else I would not be saying go get him. But he came here with Leach, knows these players, recruited half of them and I don't see why everybody wants to run hire some fired small college coach. If he was good do ya think they woulda fired him ?? That would be kinda dumb imo. But I guess we gotta wait and see what happens

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
Hatcher has been a head coach since 2000 at either the Division II or FCS level. Would he want to all of a sudden go back to just being an offensive coordinator?
I hope we find out if he does. I liked Littrell best until I saw some things on Hatcher's offense. He runs a fast high tempo offense and with more of an air raid concept than Littrell does.

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
If he was coaching somewhere else I would not be saying go get him. But he came here with Leach, knows these players, recruited half of them and I don't see why everybody wants to run hire some fired small college coach. If he was good do ya think they woulda fired him ?? That would be kinda dumb imo. But I guess we gotta wait and see what happens
He could be good as a WR coach but not as an OC. Just see how it all plays out. If I was Arnett, I think I would hire somebody who has run an air raid type offense as an experienced OC,. This OC hire could make or break Arnett.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Might be a good time to consider Spurrier Jr, as OC/Outside Receivers & add a former Leach-coached QB as Co-OC/QB coach. That, or as I mentioned before, promote Spurrier Jr. & add a less-experienced-in-coaching former Leach QB as QB coach.

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
Bingo and never called any plays either. He can be a good WR coach and still not be a good OC candidate.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login