Take that 2 strike fist to chest thing and ...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well I agree I don’t like that either. But that isn’t over coaching. That’s how signals are given now. Thank the Astros for that.

coaches giving signals and fake signals ave happened all thru the years. But now instead of touching your nose you’re reading a card. It aucks but is what it is… and it’s the same amount of coaching that’s been in the game for the last 30 years at the college level.
Still doesn't make it right. It's too much. I don't know why baseball attracts all these dumb bros who want to prove how smart they are - it's the sport that requires the LEAST in game coaching. You should be worried more about your lineup and pitching rotation.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Still doesn't make it right. It's too much. I don't know why baseball attracts all these dumb bros who want to prove how smart they are - it's the sport that requires the LEAST in game coaching. You should be worried more about your lineup and pitching rotation.

I agree, the analytics have gone too far. Especially at the lower levels.

But players use to step out all the time and watch the 3rd base coach run thru signs. Now they check a wrist band or listen to a speaker in the helmet. Its the same thing, just done differently.

The catcher use to look at a coach in the dugout, touching is nose or ears to get the pitch call. Then would flash 3-4-5 numbers down to the pitcher to decipher. Now its done via walkie-talkie and a watch attached to a belt or glove. But its still the same thing, just done differently.

Minus the analytics. The coaches arent coaching any more now than they have in the last 20 years. I'd actually argue they are coaching less in terms of putting on bunts, steals, hit and runs, pitch outs, etc.....

now the analytics are an totally different thing that I hate as well. And i'd treat it much like a lot of college football coaches do. Have someone on staff that is responsible for telling you what the analytical play is.. but dont sit on a bucket thinking about just that all game.. as you said, should be following the feel of the game, managing the players, pen, etc

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Stick it where the sun don't shine. I would tell Gatreau I am not going to look at you while I am batting. I am the one at the plate and you just sit there and shut up while I am hitting.

I am disturbed by the hitters swinging at bad pitches and letting good ones right down the middle go. 2 different ABs Jordan swung at balls and let every actual strike go. Hines let a 3-1 fastball in a crucial AB just go right to the catcher in the heart of the plate.

I am not seeing disciplined hitters. I see indecisive hitters. Gatreau get out of their <17>n' heads while they are at the plate.
We need to let the hitters know to crush the ball in a hitters count. Too much let's see a strike on a 3-1 count. I want to see a 3-1 count home run or double every single time.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Every ball put into play has a launch angle - just stay away from teacherman
And not one player alive can calculate launch angle on a pitch during the pitch. It's physically/mentally impossible. You arent teaching launch angle, you're teaching getting on plane with the pitch & pitching recognition. The latter being something some hitters just can't do once they reach a certain level (We seem to have a few of those).

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And not one player alive can calculate launch angle on a pitch during the pitch. It's physically/mentally impossible. You arent teaching launch angle, you're teaching getting on plane with the pitch & pitching recognition.
Chill out, softball bro, you're arguing something that isn't there.

Nobody is thinking about launch angle during a pitch. Nobody really even practices it. But it's one of those things that's kinda necessary because we still have too many 1990s mouth breathers who are saying shlt like "hit down on it" and "get your elbow up".

Baseball brings out the stupidity in middle class America.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Chill out, softball bro, you're arguing something that isn't there.

Nobody is thinking about launch angle during a pitch. Nobody really even practices it. But it's one of those things that's kinda necessary because we still have too many 1990s mouth breathers who are saying shlt like "hit down on it" and "get your elbow up".

Baseball brings out the stupidity in middle class America.
Nobody is teaching "hit down" except little Jimmy's grandpaw because he thinks little Jimmy's dad is an idiot. I'll give you the stupidity part though! LOL

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Pitch 1: our hitter swings for the moon and whiffs. 0-1 count
Pitch 2: we spit on a neck high fastball. 1-1.
Pitch 3: we guess FB again and watch a breaking ball drop in. 0-2 now. Glance at dugout and beat chest.
Pitch 4: chase slider down and away for the K.

Until we see some guys actually get some 2 strike hits, the chest beating thing will continue to be dumb. When TA and Rowdy and Cumbest and Tanner and Kam James did it we loved it because they could actually get a 2 strike hit.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I agree, the analytics have gone too far. Especially at the lower levels.

But players use to step out all the time and watch the 3rd base coach run thru signs. Now they check a wrist band or listen to a speaker in the helmet. Its the same thing, just done differently.

The catcher use to look at a coach in the dugout, touching is nose or ears to get the pitch call. Then would flash 3-4-5 numbers down to the pitcher to decipher. Now its done via walkie-talkie and a watch attached to a belt or glove. But its still the same thing, just done differently.

Minus the analytics. The coaches arent coaching any more now than they have in the last 20 years. I'd actually argue they are coaching less in terms of putting on bunts, steals, hit and runs, pitch outs, etc.....

now the analytics are an totally different thing that I hate as well. And i'd treat it much like a lot of college football coaches do. Have someone on staff that is responsible for telling you what the analytical play is.. but dont sit on a bucket thinking about just that all game.. as you said, should be following the feel of the game, managing the players, pen, etc
When I batted I would go up to the plate and look at third only if runners were on base. That is necessary because that is a place for team coordination (Bunts, steals, hit and run, etc.). I might be told before the at bat we are taking a strike late in the game. On a 3-0 count I would look to see if I got the green light. Otherwise the coach would have to call my name to get me to look at him.

In the field we looked towards the dugout or catcher again when runners are on base for coordination. As a batter came up we would get called if they wanted to adjust positioning for a hitter. The Outfielders went over that before the game for each hitter so when a pinch hitter came up you might get some info from coaches.

I am pretty sure John McDonald and later Jay Porter called the game with minimal input from coaches during the game. They would talk before the game about the approach for each batter and make some adjustments in the dugout during the game. They definitely did not call every pitch.

There was minimal input from the dugout during the game. More coaching later in the game. We were prepared for all situations before we ever stepped on the field.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
When I batted I would go up to the plate and look at third only if runners were on base. That is necessary because that is a place for team coordination (Bunts, steals, hit and run, etc.). I might be told before the at bat we are taking a strike late in the game. On a 3-0 count I would look to see if I got the green light. Otherwise the coach would have to call my name to get me to look at him.

In the field we looked towards the dugout or catcher again when runners are on base for coordination. As a batter came up we would get called if they wanted to adjust positioning for a hitter. The Outfielders went over that before the game for each hitter so when a pinch hitter came up you might get some info from coaches.

I am pretty sure John McDonald and later Jay Porter called the game with minimal input from coaches during the game. They would talk before the game about the approach for each batter and make some adjustments in the dugout during the game. They definitely did not call every pitch.

There was minimal input from the dugout during the game. More coaching later in the game. We were prepared for all situations before we ever stepped on the field.

Agree. completely on looking at a coach during the at-bat. We have a sign for 2 strikes. That again I dont like particular, but its what weve dont. Minus that I dont see guys looking into the dugout.. nor did i see them staring down at Cheese before we went to the headsets.

Agree complete on positioning in the field. Now players are given index cards you see they pull out of their pockets to tell them where to position themselves. This is done even at the pro level. Its the same thing as going over it in pregame, but now theyve taken the memorizing out of the game.

Catchers havent called games in over 25 years. Just the way it is now, and the way its been for at least 25 years or longer. Again the only major program that i know of where the pitcher/catcher calls the game is Auburn, and i know 100% facts that Butch called the pitches under Cohen, he wasnt allowed to let the catcher call the game.

Again I dont see the over coaching at all. Coaches (minus the pitch calling) have been coaching the same way for a long time. Again I'd argue that they are actually coaching the game less now than ever before. Its just the scouting report meetings have been shrunk to index cards. The 3rd base coach signs are now a buzzer in the ear. And the putting down the ol #1 is now relay thru a walkie-talkie. Its just done differently, but its the same amount of coaching.

The analytics... i totally agree with ditching some of that and cant stand a lot of it.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Agree. completely on looking at a coach during the at-bat. We have a sign for 2 strikes. That again I dont like particular, but its what weve dont. Minus that I dont see guys looking into the dugout.. nor did i see them staring down at Cheese before we went to the headsets.

Agree complete on positioning in the field. Now players are given index cards you see they pull out of their pockets to tell them where to position themselves. This is done even at the pro level. Its the same thing as going over it in pregame, but now theyve taken the memorizing out of the game.

Catchers havent called games in over 25 years. Just the way it is now, and the way its been for at least 25 years or longer. Again the only major program that i know of where the pitcher/catcher calls the game is Auburn, and i know 100% facts that Butch called the pitches under Cohen, he wasnt allowed to let the catcher call the game.

Again I dont see the over coaching at all. Coaches (minus the pitch calling) have been coaching the same way for a long time. Again I'd argue that they are actually coaching the game less now than ever before. Its just the scouting report meetings have been shrunk to index cards. The 3rd base coach signs are now a buzzer in the ear. And the putting down the ol #1 is now relay thru a walkie-talkie. Its just done differently, but its the same amount of coaching.

The analytics... i totally agree with ditching some of that and cant stand a lot of it.
Agree with you. Not winning games makes people look for stuff to blame. I doubt Lemonis is coaching any differently now than he was when he coached a team to a national championship. The tapping the chest thing, as dumb as it may be, is not hurting anything, just like it was not helping anything a couple years ago. I don’t think Lemonis is over coaching or under coaching these guys. What we all should have learned by now, Lemonis has no idea how to build a roster. Lemonis has recruited a team full of guys that are very high ceiling guys compared to guys who are just good baseball players. I’m sure Lemonis would have recruited tanner allen… but would he have recruited rowdy or mangum?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree with you. Not winning games makes people look for stuff to blame. I doubt Lemonis is coaching any differently now than he was when he coached a team to a national championship. The tapping the chest thing, as dumb as it may be, is not hurting anything, just like it was not helping anything a couple years ago. I don’t think Lemonis is over coaching or under coaching these guys. What we all should have learned by now, Lemonis has no idea how to build a roster. Lemonis has recruited a team full of guys that are very high ceiling guys compared to guys who are just good baseball players. I’m sure Lemonis would have recruited tanner allen… but would he have recruited rowdy or mangum?
I thought that on the surface, but you consider guys like Chance/Mershon/Cupp - seems like we are at least trying to get those type of ballplayers in.
But no doubt Jordan/Hines and a lot of the transfers are out there trying to create draft metrics.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Well I agree I don’t like that either. But that isn’t over coaching. That’s how signals are given now. Thank the Astros for that.

coaches giving signals and fake signals ave happened all thru the years. But now instead of touching your nose you’re reading a card. It aucks but is what it is… and it’s the same amount of coaching that’s been in the game for the last 30 years at the college level.
You're missing the bigger point. As communication becomes "easier", the coaches feel the need to give more instruction because of it.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I clearly remember Jeff Keener and that HR in the SEC tournament in 81. A big moment that season.

Wasn’t that the year y’all took the Great Western Road Trip? If I recall, you had a bunch of HR’s and RBI’s in those 6 games. And one game was against UNLV, with the final being 23-17, and the game lasting about 6 hours, correct?
I remember that AB myself. We had to face Keener twice in the tourney and both games were 3-2. Unfortunately we were on the wrong side of the last one. In fact 4 of the 6 games had a score of 3-2.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You're missing the bigger point. As communication becomes "easier", the coaches feel the need to give more instruction because of it.
and i disagree with this. Again i think coaches are coaching less in the game than ever before. They are calling for less bunts, steals, hit and runs, pitch outs, etc than ever before.

They are again way more into analytics. Shifting fielders and things of that nature. But what is being coached has not changed in 25 years its just being relayed differently.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
and i disagree with this. Again i think coaches are coaching less in the game than ever before. They are calling for less bunts, steals, hit and runs, pitch outs, etc than ever before.

They are again way more into analytics. Shifting fielders and things of that nature. But what is being coached has not changed in 25 years its just being relayed differently.
I'll have to disagree. They are micromanaging more than ever because of the analytics.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login