Too hot -4500

Who are these guys? -4000

Semi mobile QB +3700

Out of town for labor day weekend -1200

Cheap *** tickets available +3500

Total = 41,900

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah not expecting much. Lotta seats still unsold. So many unknowns and I don’t think the athletic department has done a very good job of selling hope to people. Certainly nowhere close to the level of when Dan came in.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I was a season ticket holder for 20+ years and I honestly didn’t realize that we played Saturday until my wife asked me what I was cooking for the game!

That's Croom level apathy right there. During that era a UGA fan girlfriend called me to ask about a referee call. Hell, I didn't even know if we were playing or had an off week. I'm not back there yet, but I haven't even looked how I might get the game in the mountains (where I'm headed after work).

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I was a season ticket holder for 20+ years and I honestly didn’t realize that we played Saturday until my wife asked me what I was cooking for the game!
Alright man, we can all moan and groan about inflation, NIL, etc til the cows come home, but this is a bridge too far. It’s time to get your mind right, Dawgbite!

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
It’s interesting how pessimistic our fans continue to be and err on the side of doom, gloom, and negativity. Meanwhile our biggest rival will likely have 60k+ Saturday and enthusiasm at an all time high.

Thanks Cohen

Reactions: ETK99

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
against the team that finished last in the SWAC last year.
They've been last the past 3 years. For perspective, last year Mississippi Valley beat them 42-17. It was Valley's only win of the season. APB is atrociously bad, possibly the worst in all of Division I

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
It’s interesting how pessimistic our fans continue to be and err on the side of doom, gloom, and negativity. Meanwhile our biggest rival will likely have 60k+ Saturday and enthusiasm at an all time high.

Thanks Cohen
well, according to them we are not their rival anymore, lsu and alabama are, whatever

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Yeah not expecting much. Lotta seats still unsold. So many unknowns and I don’t think the athletic department has done a very good job of selling hope to people. Certainly nowhere close to the level of when Dan came in.
Marketing and engagement dropped off hard after Byrne and Stricklin left.

Reactions: ETK99

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
well, according to them we are not their rival anymore, lsu and alabama are, whatever
Idk much about that. I’m just making a point that the cool thing to do on here is make sarcastic comments about how no one will be there this weekend and “who the 17 is on our team??” Meanwhile OM momentum is at an all time high. It’s just kind of sad from my perspective.

But the current trend on here is to support our football program less and hate OM less because Lane is a funny jokester. So i guess it’s not a surprise.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Honest question, if someone were on the fence about coming this weekend, what would the athletic department need to do to get them to DWS?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Honest question, if someone were on the fence about coming this weekend, what would the athletic department need to do to get them to DWS?
I mean I’m not above fan shaming like Drinkwitz did for Mizzou this week. Promote the heck out of Lebby’s offense and the fact that we’re going to score a lot of points and make it seem like you’re a bad fan if you don’t come to see his debut.

I think we are afraid of overpromising and underdelivering. But we are kinda in a spot right now where we are letting our rivals walk all over us and aren’t showing much fight perception wise. That was the big thing with Dan in ‘09, OM had the far more hyped team but Dan talked so much **** and we promoted him so much that it turned a 5-7 team that most didn’t think would even win that many into a must see attraction for our fanbase.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Football's back! +48,000

Because Lebby's offense ain't the air raid +2500

Lack of preaseason leaks/hype/media coverage -2500

Mah couch n' bigscreen n' smoker -3600

Too hot -4500

Who are these guys? -4000

Semi mobile QB +3700

Out of town for labor day weekend -1200

Cheap *** tickets available +3500

Total = 41,900
I think you are shortselling the new coach/breath of fresh air factor. I'd add at least 7k for that. Attendance will start with a 5 tomorrow.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
I don't know if you guys are still on myspace or what but State athletics (and all athletic teams) have TONS of content on Instagram alone. Y'all are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Reactions: retire the banner

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I mean I’m not above fan shaming like Drinkwitz did for Mizzou this week. Promote the heck out of Lebby’s offense and the fact that we’re going to score a lot of points and make it seem like you’re a bad fan if you don’t come to see his debut.

I think we are afraid of overpromising and underdelivering. But we are kinda in a spot right now where we are letting our rivals walk all over us and aren’t showing much fight perception wise. That was the big thing with Dan in ‘09, OM had the far more hyped team but Dan talked so much **** and we promoted him so much that it turned a 5-7 team that most didn’t think would even win that many into a must see attraction for our fanbase.
This is fair. But I will say, beating OM and Dan talking **** in the microphone afterwords was when everything kicked off in terms of marketing.

The 2009 preseason was more about cheesy shirts saying “Spread the fun!” And us getting ourselves excited because we were about to run a modern spread offense and coming out of the dark ages of Croom.

Reactions: Dawg84

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I don't know if you guys are still on myspace or what but State athletics (and all athletic teams) have TONS of content on Instagram alone. Y'all are just complaining for the sake of complaining.
Yeah I’ve seen a ton of content on social media. This board is just determined to look on the pessimistic side.

Reactions: gtowndawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
This is fair. But I will say, beating OM and Dan talking **** in the microphone afterwords was when everything kicked off in terms of marketing.

The 2009 preseason was more about cheesy shirts saying “Spread the fun!” And us getting ourselves excited because we were about to run a modern spread offense and coming out of the dark ages of Croom.
We had some really good crowds before the Egg Bowl though. I know some of that was Tebow mania when UF came to town but basically every home game except for the Houston game had a strong crowd. This coming off years of horrible crowds with Croom.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Someone on the paid board did a breakdown comparing social media posts by SEC team, we’ve had the fewest from our football account in the entire SEC. Our baseball account has tweeted more this week, and our in-house podcast was promoting an interview with Lemonis yesterday afternoon instead of football related content. I think there are some legit gripes here.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
We had some really good crowds before the Egg Bowl though. I know some of that was Tebow mania when UF came to town but basically every home game except for the Houston game had a strong crowd. This coming off years of horrible crowds with Croom.
True but the stadium was also smaller. I think we will be around 52k Saturday which would have been a near sellout then. EKU will bring nobody so that will hurt overall numbers a bit.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
True but the stadium was also smaller. I think we will be around 52k Saturday which would have been a near sellout then. EKU will bring nobody so that will hurt overall numbers a bit.
Eh I dunno, we set the school record for attendance twice in Dan’s first year. Just don’t sense anywhere near as much buzz right now as compared to that year before Dan really accomplished anything.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I see you forgot the number one factor for State fans not showing up on Labor Day weekend! Dove Season takes priority! Shooting those poor defenseless over-sized Sparrows is more important. Being in a field and having cross fire shotgun pellets rain down on you is more exciting than drinking a $10 beer in a stadium with likeminded folk.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Oh I agree. If I remember correctly, the first game of the season against Jackson State was a sellout. I credit that more to our fanbase starved for excitement & competency coming out of 2002-2008 than savvy marketing. When we discovered we had something, the crowds grew, and after the 2009 EB was when the billboards and “This is Our State” began.

The perceived lack of enthusiasm within on fanbase now is due to mediocre and boring football we were subject to from 2018-2023. Quick math, I think our record was 39-36 over the past 6 years. Mediocre results, but we weren’t winning or losing games 45-42. It was mostly defense and offensive struggles. Objectively, we have been a tough watch, and it’s sucked the excitement out of the casual fan.

More than anything, we need some excitement this year.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
Oh I agree. If I remember correctly, the first game of the season against Jackson State was a sellout. I credit that more to our fanbase starved for excitement & competency coming out of 2002-2008 than savvy marketing. When we discovered we had something, the crowds grew, and after the 2009 EB was when the billboards and “This is Our State” began.

The perceived lack of enthusiasm within on fanbase now is due to mediocre and boring football we were subject to from 2018-2023. Quick math, I think our record was 39-36 over the past 6 years. Mediocre results, but we weren’t winning or losing games 45-42. It was mostly defense and offensive struggles. Objectively, we have been a tough watch, and it’s sucked the excitement out of the casual fan.

More than anything, we need some excitement this year.
I can agree with this and winning (not a few more IG post) is what will get the train rolling again. We can market all we want but we have to have a product fans want to buy.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I see you forgot the number one factor for State fans not showing up on Labor Day weekend! Dove Season takes priority! Shooting those poor defenseless over-sized Sparrows is more important. Being in a field and having cross fire shotgun pellets rain down on you is more exciting than drinking a $10 beer in a stadium with likeminded folk.
Unless I’m missing something, dove season doesn’t start until Sunday.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I can agree with this and winning (not a few more IG post) is what will get the train rolling again. We can market all we want but we have to have a product fans want to buy.
This is not wrong big picture-wise, I just hate the feeling of our AD has conceded building hype early in the season and we’re just gonna hope people notice us if we beat an FCS, a MAC team, and the team picked last in the Big 12.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This is not wrong big picture-wise, I just hate the feeling of our AD has conceded building hype early in the season and we’re just gonna hope people notice us if we beat an FCS, a MAC team, and the team picked last in the Big 12.
No one is going to notice us if we start 3-0, regardless of what our athletic department is doing.

I’m old enough to remember in 2020 after we beat LSU, we paraded Leach around on a ‘bandwagon’ and then lost 7 out of our next 8 games.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Idk much about that. I’m just making a point that the cool thing to do on here is make sarcastic comments about how no one will be there this weekend and “who the 17 is on our team??” Meanwhile OM momentum is at an all time high. It’s just kind of sad from my perspective.

But the current trend on here is to support our football program less and hate OM less because Lane is a funny jokester. So i guess it’s not a surprise.
its nothing new, they been saying this for years now... unfortunately i work with quite a few reb fans and i have been hearing this ever since they got a taste of success under freeze... they think since they beat lsu and alabama a couple times that we were no longer worthy of being their rival...
if you notice i didn't comment on that thread... can't stand the rebs and mos def cannot stand lane.... i just made a comment...

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
They were playing in Little Rock against the team that finished last in the SWAC last year.
I get that and of course their lack of success is certainly a factor. But for an SEC team in a state with one major college, playing an opening game in a city with a metro population of 750,000 people it still was a little jarring.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login