Taking a stab at the attendance calculator

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I see you forgot the number one factor for State fans not showing up on Labor Day weekend! Dove Season takes priority! Shooting those poor defenseless over-sized Sparrows is more important. Being in a field and having cross fire shotgun pellets rain down on you is more exciting than drinking a $10 beer in a stadium with likeminded folk.
"Drinking a 16 oz $10 beer in a stadium w/ like-minded folk" excites you? Pisses me off actually, makes me want to go drink beer somewhere else where the beer costs half that

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Maybe Arkansas scoring 70 points on 10 straight scoring drives including the last TD with 26 seconds left is what Lebby's Legions need to do tomorrow to build some real excitement in the fan base! It seems it has come to destroying a lesser foe, then handing them a check on the way off the field is the way to build program excitement!

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Honest question, if someone were on the fence about coming this weekend, what would the athletic department need to do to get them to DWS?

Since it's game week, I'm tired of b*tching about what should be happening, and I really want to focus on enjoying the weekend. That said, I'll give you my perspective on this

For most of our fans that are outside of a 60-mile radius of Starkville, coming to the game means that we're going to give up comfort, cheap food, and flexibility so that we can spend $1000 or more to take the family to watch a team that most everyone is expecting to go 5-7 or worse. That's not an easy sell, and unfortunately $5 tickets don't eliminate all the money that has to be spent on gas, food, parking, and lodging to make this happen.

So the easy answer is that winning can resolve this, and I think we've proven plenty of times that State fans will come watch a winner. But in the meantime, our athletic department is gonna have to give some too if they want to convince the average State fan to drop this kinda $$$. Free tailgates are a great start, following in the NBA and minor league baseball's footsteps with good giveaways would help, and concession promotions would also be smart. You can't keep asking fans over and over and over again to give without giving something back, though, and we may be the cheapest organization in collegiate sports when it comes to that. Hey, thanks for your $10k BC donation for tickets, and we could really use another $10k. To show our appreciation, here's a 17n window decal

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I have seen very little marketing this year on social media. There is no no hype around the program right now.
I've noticed there is a hype video out for the season. I haven't noticed it linked here. I see something from MSU athletics almost every day on my social feeds.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Since it's game week, I'm tired of b*tching about what should be happening, and I really want to focus on enjoying the weekend. That said, I'll give you my perspective on this

For most of our fans that are outside of a 60-mile radius of Starkville, coming to the game means that we're going to give up comfort, cheap food, and flexibility so that we can spend $1000 or more to take the family to watch a team that most everyone is expecting to go 5-7 or worse. That's not an easy sell, and unfortunately $5 tickets don't eliminate all the money that has to be spent on gas, food, parking, and lodging to make this happen.

So the easy answer is that winning can resolve this, and I think we've proven plenty of times that State fans will come watch a winner. But in the meantime, our athletic department is gonna have to give some too if they want to convince the average State fan to drop this kinda $$$. Free tailgates are a great start, following in the NBA and minor league baseball's footsteps with good giveaways would help, and concession promotions would also be smart. You can't keep asking fans over and over and over again to give without giving something back, though, and we may be the cheapest organization in collegiate sports when it comes to that. Hey, thanks for your $10k BC donation for tickets, and we could really use another $10k. To show our appreciation, here's a 17n window decal
Man you nailed it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This thread reminds me..... I was listening to Bounds this week and the mumbling sidekick.

They are the quintessential State fans. Moaning about if they'll go to the game. Only going if someone gives them a free luxury seat. Games too long..... blah blah blah.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Unless this was tabulated using an HP 48GX graphing calculator, these results are HIGHLY in question

Alright man, we can all moan and groan about inflation, NIL, etc til the cows come home, but this is a bridge too far. It’s time to get your mind right, Dawgbite!
In my defense the decision was made for me. I had club level football tickets, season baseball tickets which I rarely sat in but always bought even thoughI always sat in the lounge, men's and women's basketball season tickets. They took my golf cart, I didn't like it but I understood it. The constant reseating really screwed me but the straw that broke the camel's back was when they took my baseball Rv parking pass and my baseball parking pass. I told whomever I had on the phone that they had a choice, give me back my baseball parking passes and I'd keep writing the checks or they could do without me. They obviously haven't missed me individually but collectively I think they're beginning to miss us.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
This thread reminds me..... I was listening to Bounds this week and the mumbling sidekick.

They are the quintessential State fans. Moaning about if they'll go to the game. Only going if someone gives them a free luxury seat. Games too long..... blah blah blah.
It blows my mind, it really does. I will get up at 8, drive 3 hours with my family to tailgate with some friends, enjoy the day and be home by midnight. You can find cheap tickets. I might spend $250 when it's all said and done. $250 to spend a day with my wife, kids and friends and go in and watch the Bulldogs play. I know a lot of people going and looking forward to it (just from the Memphis area alone). I really wonder if the positive people just avoid message boards now?

Reactions: Maroon13 and Dawg84

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yes and no. I knew it was week one of college football but had no idea who or what time we played until I googled it.
Okay carry on. I can understand the apathy but I would seriously question your sports IQ if you didn’t realize this was week 1 and everyone plays.

Reactions: Maroon13

DudyDog

Jun 18, 2008
I will bet anybody on here $5,000 Lebby will have more fans at his first game than Kiffin had at his first game. I'll take all bets. Who wants in??

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
i’m so excited i opted to work OT out of the country

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
i’m so excited i opted to work OT out of the country
You are also so excited you came back from being banned to let us know. Not today satan. It’s Gameday and we don’t need your cuntshit.
Get Him Out GIF

• Haha
Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I don't know if you guys are still on myspace or what but State athletics (and all athletic teams) have TONS of content on Instagram alone. Y'all are just complaining for the sake of complaining.
There’s more than just one platform. Putting all content on one platform is pretty short sighted, and lazy.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
There’s more than just one platform. Putting all content on one platform is pretty short sighted, and lazy.
Good gosh. This board..... State post all on all forms of social media.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Football's back! +48,000

Because Lebby's offense ain't the air raid +2500

Lack of preaseason leaks/hype/media coverage -2500

Mah couch n' bigscreen n' smoker -3600

Too hot -4500

Who are these guys? -4000

Semi mobile QB +3700

Out of town for labor day weekend -1200

Cheap *** tickets available +3500

Total = 41,900