Tanner Allen was released by the Marlins...

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'd get him back to Starkville if he's done. Would bring some juice to a stale staff and program.
Nothing personal, but what makes people think a good player who's never been a coach anywhere would be a good hire for a top college baseball program? Not to mention, I'm not really a fan of bringing back former players to coach much anyway. Maybe occasionally after they've coached elsewhere and earned the job, like Bumphis in football. But if you just keep recycling old players and old coaches, your program stagnates.

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
Nothing personal, but what makes people think a good player who's never been a coach anywhere would be a good hire for a top college baseball program? Not to mention, I'm not really a fan of bringing back former players to coach much anyway. Maybe occasionally after they've coached elsewhere and earned the job, like Bumphis in football. But if you just keep recycling old players and old coaches, your program stagnates.
Why you gotta be a party pooper? Have some fun.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Some guys just don’t transition over very well to a wood bat. He seems like maybe one of those. SLG went from .522 in college to .344 in the minors, and he played the majority of his games in A ball. K’s / BB’s weren’t way out of whack, seems like he just didn’t have nearly as much power in the pros.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Some guys just don’t transition over very well to a wood bat. He seems like maybe one of those. SLG went from .522 in college to .344 in the minors, and he played the majority of his games in A ball. K’s / BB’s weren’t way out of whack, seems like he just didn’t have nearly as much power in the pros.
We should be using wood bats in college. At least at the Division I level.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006

I understand the sentiment of wanting a guy like Tanner around the program. He knows how to hit and he knows about being a leader on a team, elements that have been sorely missing the last couple years. Maybe he can't coach worth a damn. I wouldn't necessarily promote him to an important position right away, but I'd want him involved in the program in some capacity.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We should be using wood bats in college. At least at the Division I level.
That might wind up happening in this new unlimited scholarship environment when there are only 30 teams still playing college baseball.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

You've been here a very long time, but you're clearly still unaware that this board is overrun with incredible coaches in all sports. Our athletic department wastes buckets of money on the idiots we have who are paid to do it every day of their lives.

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
So Tanner Allen and Eric Cerantola both get drafted after the ‘21 championship season. How many would have guessed 3 years later that Cerantola would be in AAA and Tanner out of baseball?

HotMop

May 8, 2006
So Tanner Allen and Eric Cerantola both get drafted after the ‘21 championship season. How many would have guessed 3 years later that Cerantola would be in AAA and Tanner out of baseball?
Cerantola is still in AA, did he get promoted today?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

The guy certainly has the physical tools to be an MLB pitcher. Seems to be thriving now that his stint as a starter is over.

I suspect Tanner Allen, born in baseball friendly Alabama, was much closer to his baseball ceiling than Cerantola, born in hockey crazy Montreal, was upon arrival in Starkville.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Probably quite a few people.

Cerantola is just now in AAA after over 4 years and 169 innings in the minors. He just wasn’t going to get that opportunity to learn on the fly in the SEC, despite all the measurables. He should have gone pro out of high school.

TA was only drafted in the 4th round even though he had another year if he wanted it due to COVID….so he had some leverage. He signed for $247,000, slot value for the pick was $487,000. The amount he signed for was equal to the last pick of the 6th round. Scouts weren’t that enamored with him, and it looks like for good reason.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe occasionally after they've coached elsewhere and earned the job, like Bumphis in football. But if you just keep recycling old players and old coaches, your program stagnates.
That’s why you have to thing bigger than just former MSU players.

When you get outside that box, things like Dan Marino as QB coach / OC or Steve Spurrier as HC become the real possibilities. You just have to find somwhere they can unwind in Clay County….

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Game got hard for him probably for the first time in his life. couldnt or didn’t want to work his way thru it. Best wishes
Fart. That may or may not have happened, but you certainly don't know either way.

Facts: Guy made it much farther than most baseball players, and was the SEC POY and national champion. He was a 4-star type out of high school and developed. At some point your tools limit you. Good hitter without super impressive power, arm strength, glove or speed. It is what it is. He certainly worked his assss off at MSU.

So the evidence points to you being an idiot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login