Tanner Allen was released by the Marlins...

TilloDwg

Aug 25, 2012
He was a really good college player, but sorta like Mangum, just not good enough for the show. As far as coaching, the things he had that made him a stud in college, you can't teach or coach into other players. He, and Rowdy, had it. You can't teach it...you have it or you don't.

Cerantola didn't have it in college, but has thrived in pro ball for some reason.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Game got hard for him probably for the first time in his life. couldnt or didn’t want to work his way thru it. Best wishes
I know a few people living in Pensacola and they learned about him from me being a State fan. They know a few people connected to the team and his work ethic was unmatched.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I know a few people living in Pensacola and they learned about him from me being a State fan. They know a few people connected to the team and his work ethic was unmatched.
Actually heard the opposite. the daily grind didnt leave enough time to hunt, fish, and do other things… But not going to trash a kid on a message board.

• Angry

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Fart. That may or may not have happened, but you certainly don't know either way.

Facts: Guy made it much farther than most baseball players, and was the SEC POY and national champion. He was a 4-star type out of high school and developed. At some point your tools limit you. Good hitter without super impressive power, arm strength, glove or speed. It is what it is. He certainly worked his assss off at MSU.

So the evidence points to you being an idiot.
Again… when you feel one way… being on the opposite side of things is generally the right side of things. You are just a grumpy old man that doesn’t even watch baseball past msu anymore because you don’t like the way it’s changed.. you are far from anyone to speak on anything past 8 year old coach pitch…

he had a great college career. Something changed in the minor leagues. Again not going to trash a kid on a message board. Best wishes to him

• Angry

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again… when you feel one way… being on the opposite side of things is generally the right side of things. You are just a grumpy old man that doesn’t even watch baseball past msu anymore because you don’t like the way it’s changed.. you are far from anyone to speak on anything past 8 year old coach pitch…

he had a great college career. Something changed in the minor leagues. Again not going to trash a kid on a message board. Best wishes to him
Hey…..I had a great coaching career up through 12U too

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Baseball talk really brings out the best in you.

Too bad your best bar is so low to the ground.

Oct 17, 2023
Fart. That may or may not have happened, but you certainly don't know either way.

Facts: Guy made it much farther than most baseball players, and was the SEC POY and national champion. He was a 4-star type out of high school and developed. At some point your tools limit you. Good hitter without super impressive power, arm strength, glove or speed. It is what it is. He certainly worked his assss off at MSU.

The evidence always has and always will.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Baseball talk really brings out the best in you.

Too bad your best bar is so low to the ground.
always good to have you chime in to do nothing but talk to me in a thread. always good to have someone that follows me so much.

The truth is allowed on message boards.. even if its not always rosey Maroon and White.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
You smelt it you dealt it

Facts: Guy made it much farther than most baseball players, and was the SEC POY and national champion. He was a 4-star type out of high school and developed.
Zero to do with pro ball and the game getting hard
At some point your tools limit you. Good hitter without super impressive power, arm strength, glove or speed. It is what it is.
Which translates to the game getting hard or harder as you try to climb the competition ladder - are you performing and if not do your tools still project (which can garner more time)

He certainly worked his assss off at MSU.
hard work doesn’t guarantee success only honesty - as you mentioned probably doesn’t project well based on performance and tools
Nah hunt was probably on point here

Reactions: HuntDawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
always good to have you chime in to do nothing but talk to me in a thread. always good to have someone that follows me so much.

The truth is allowed on message boards.. even if its not always rosey Maroon and White.

Very little of my attention is on you. I'm just less tolerant of your BS than many who are more sensible than me here.

You think you're an intelligent contrarian, but it's pretty obvious that the general consensus here is that you're an overbearing grump.

With a microscopic ability to self assess or admit error.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Very little of my attention is on you. I'm just less tolerant of your BS than many who are more sensible than me here.

You think you're an intelligent contrarian, but it's pretty obvious that the general consensus here is that you're an overbearing grump.

With a microscopic ability to self assess or admit error.
another post where you again add nothing to the topic of the thread but just continue being part of my fan club. Thank you yet again.

Maybe one day you'll actually have an opinion on a topic and contribute to the board. In the meantime, check my fan mail.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Whoops.

I left Troll out of my Hunt Dawgy skills assessment above. Thanks for reminding me.

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
Nothing personal, but what makes people think a good player who's never been a coach anywhere would be a good hire for a top college baseball program? Not to mention, I'm not really a fan of bringing back former players to coach much anyway. Maybe occasionally after they've coached elsewhere and earned the job, like Bumphis in football. But if you just keep recycling old players and old coaches, your program stagnates.
I get not hiring them as head coach on day 1, but I think what most of us would love to see is a pipeline for former players who have an interest in coaching to come back and learn here.

Ideally, a TA or (if he doesn’t make it to the bigs) Mangum coming back to learn the ropes and cut their teeth in a low level role at State, then going out into the wilderness to get more experience and work their way up the ranks before returning to a “big” job back home would be the best thing we could do as a program.

Imagine a TA or a Jake starting at state, going to some other big program to be a jr asst something, then a low level program as chief asst coach, then as a head coach before getting the “it’s time to come home” call.

If Jake was able to work his way up and become a head coach, I’d want him to come back and get his State natty when the time was right. A player statue out front with Raffy and Will and a manager statue next to Polk would only be fitting.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I get not hiring them as head coach on day 1, but I think what most of us would love to see is a pipeline for former players who have an interest in coaching to come back and learn here.

Ideally, a TA or (if he doesn’t make it to the bigs) Mangum coming back to learn the ropes and cut their teeth in a low level role at State, then going out into the wilderness to get more experience and work their way up the ranks before returning to a “big” job back home would be the best thing we could do as a program.

Imagine a TA or a Jake starting at state, going to some other big program to be a jr asst something, then a low level program as chief asst coach, then as a head coach before getting the “it’s time to come home” call.

If Jake was able to work his way up and become a head coach, I’d want him to come back and get his State natty when the time was right. A player statue out front with Raffy and Will and a manager statue next to Polk would only be fitting.

If they want too is the thing. Those low level jobs pay pennies and its a big climb to the top of the mountain... and most of those players have degrees and options that will pay them much more with way less hassle.

However I do think most schools (or former coaches who are now at different schools) do this for former players-- its just lots of former players arent interested in the role, pay, etc....Go look up the volunteer coaches, baseball ops guys, etc at schools.. a lot are filled my former players, either at that school, or with that particular coach.... i may be wrong...but i think Cheese played for lemonis, so again it happens more than you think.

Reactions: prdubya

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017

And this doesn’t get limited to baseball. Imagine if Fletcher Cox had any interest in coaching. Put him somewhere on staff and build a network of players. If he likes it and rises up the ranks, we’d have some “hometown pull” when he was ready for a HC job.

Or Dak… imagine what he could do to elevate the program if he wanted to coach and came back home and was good. We wouldn’t have to worry as much with folks leaving for “a bigger program” because they’re homegrown, and if we build the pipeline right, we would have a giant Rolodex of folks with State ties to call if they did leave.

I’ll call it “project Mississippi Mafia” and will gladly accept the role as godfather to build this out. Haha

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login