Tate County shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The article above is pretty slim on details… did this old man kill the 6 people?
Yes. He went in the store and killed someone in there and went and killed other people inside and outside their homes on arkabutla Rd and Bend Rd.

His name is Richard Dale Crum or “Ricky” Crum.

Reactions: HotMop

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Yes. He went in the store and killed someone in there and went and killed other people inside and outside their homes on arkabutla Rd and Bend Rd.

His name is Richard Dale Crum or “Ricky” Crum.
Do you know him? Any known mental health issues?

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
No i don’t know him but I’ve been told he was schizophrenic and apparently off his meds. Killed his stepfather and step uncle.
I have some experience with several schizophrenics in our local 12 step community. I am not professionally trained to interact with them so I give them a wide berth and avoid looking them directly in the eyes.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What an awful series of events.
It really sucks that my reaction to reading that was to take a big sigh of frustration and then feel resignation to it all.
It will continue because not enough want to do what's needed to reduce the frequency.

Reactions: dorndawg

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
It really sucks that my reaction to reading that was to take a big sigh of frustration and then feel resignation to it all.
It will continue because not enough want to do what's needed to reduce the frequency.
Screw you, you are NOT going to disarm me because of what some crazy guy, off his meds did.

(i'm sure a lock is in progress)

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Screw you, you are NOT going to disarm me because of what some crazy guy, off his meds did.

(i'm sure a lock is in progress)
Relax, I don't want to take your guns and I recognize guns play a significant role in the daily lives of many citizens and that fear is a strong motivator.
Like I said- this will continue to occur because not enough people want to reduce the frequency.

All these shootings are simply acceptable casualties and we as a society do not value safety and protection as much as I thought when I was younger.
It's a reality that sucks to see, but I am resigned to it at this point.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Relax, I don't want to take your guns and I recognize guns play a significant role in the daily lives of many citizens and that fear is a strong motivator.
Like I said- this will continue to occur because not enough people want to reduce the frequency.

All these shootings are simply acceptable casualties and we as a society do not value safety and protection as much as I thought when I was younger.
17 u ***** *******, go coach volleyball

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

...not enough “elected” people want to reduce the frequency.

This is what you should have said or hopefully what you meant. I know zero people who don’t want the frequency to be reduced. Our elected officials unfortunately are not capable of appropriately addressing the issue from multiple fronts simultaneously. A large number think taking weapons is the key. A large number think only addressing mental health is the key. These groups cannot figure out a middle ground together. Plus solving the problem would reduce their chances to appear hard left or hard right and therefore not get re-elected. It sucks and it’s not going to get better.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
What is needed to be done to reduce the frequency?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Go see how well that went for Australia and then get back to me.
Research has consistently shown that the post-1996 reforms had immediate and sustained effect on the incidence of mass shootings. They also greatly reduced other forms of gun deaths.
In a study published by the University of Sydney last year, researchers said that between 1979 and 1996, average annual firearm-related mortality was 3.6 per 100,000 people. After the introduction of the national firearms agreement, that figure dropped to 1.2.

In 2011, Harvard's David Hemenway and Mary Vriniotis reviewed the research on Australia's suicide and homicide rate after the NFA. Their conclusion was clear: "The NFA seems to have been incredibly successful in terms of lives saved."

What they found is a decline in both suicide and homicide rates after the NFA. The average firearm suicide rate in Australia in the seven years after the bill declined by 57 percent compared with the seven years prior. The average firearm homicide rate went down by about 42 percent.

I assume this isn't what you meant, but I dont know what you were referring to. And since you didn't actually offer up any info, I guessed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I assume this isn't what you meant, but I dont know what you were referring to. And since you didn't actually offer up any info, I guessed.
You are WAY too intentionally stupid.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

The vast majority gun owners aren’t motivated by fear. They’re just intentionally being prepared.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We've reached the point where I dread the insta reaction to golfer's comments more than I dread some of his comments.

This story is incredibly sad and I'm disappointed in myself for immediately assuming the perpetrator was going to be a different race.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
We've reached the point where I dread the insta reaction to golfer's comments more than I dread some of his comments.

This story is incredibly sad and I'm disappointed in myself for immediately assuming the perpetrator was going to be a different race.
He knows what to say to get a reaction from most of the board. They fall for it on every topic.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What are a “questions you won’t get an answer to”?
I have answered. I've answered many times over. Tons of threads have been locked because I have posted the response to that question and a handful of posters then lose their minds and go full child tantrum. The thread then gets locked quickly.

I chose not to respond to that in this thread because anyone that is able to be honest already knows ways to reduce the frequency, and they are just being selfish if they don't want to do it. They value access to toys over lives.
Restrictions to 2a have existed for decades. Even after Scalia opened the floodgates w5 years ago with the DC decision, he specifically still recognized there must be inherent restrictions on what is allowed. Yet when discussion about restrictions are even attempted, a bunch of scared people get triggered and start attacking with nonsense like dumb insults, dismissive comments, and over the top claims of who is patriotic and who is a commie.

So I'll sit here and know that all this will continue at an exponentially higher rate than the rest of the established and stable world because we as a nation have a large number of people that are proudly selfish and secretly scared.
I will continue to sigh in sadness, continue to feel confusion over the lack of desire to improve society, and continue to say 17 people's prayers since that sort of response is worthless and part of the reason why this doesn't improve.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I have answered. I've answered many times over. Tons of threads have been locked because I have posted the response to that question and a handful of posters then lose their minds and go full child tantrum. The thread then gets locked quickly.

I chose not to respond to that in this thread because anyone that is able to be honest already knows ways to reduce the frequency, and they are just being selfish if they don't want to do it. They value access to toys over lives.
Restrictions to 2a have existed for decades. Even after Scalia opened the floodgates w5 years ago with the DC decision, he specifically still recognized there must be inherent restrictions on what is allowed. Yet when discussion about restrictions are even attempted, a bunch of scared people get triggered and start attacking with nonsense like dumb insults, dismissive comments, and over the top claims of who is patriotic and who is a commie.

So I'll sit here and know that all this will continue at an exponentially higher rate than the rest of the established and stable world because we as a nation have a large number of people that are proudly selfish and secretly scared.
I will continue to sigh in sadness, continue to feel confusion over the lack of desire to improve society, and continue to say 17 people's prayers since that sort of response is worthless and part of the reason why this doesn't improve.
And you don't realize how dumb (or intentionally ignorant) you really are. Take away the guns (or try), these crimes will continue to happen, as the guns will be obtained on the black market. We have violent people here, not violent guns. Other countries don't have that. It's such a common sense thing that I don't think it's possible for the brainwashed sheep like you to ever comprehend. People are different.

Guns actually keep people in line more than you will ever understand, as well. You'll never understand that these events, while plastered all over the news, are almost non-existently (that's likely not a word) rare as far as a percentage of population. Many many more crazies are thwarted because of the threat of retaliation. Not to mention how many stabbings or beatings are prevented/stopped with guns. And without them, most people are sitting ducks in society. Because people are mean, there are bullies, there are predators, there are villains. You seem to think people are inherently good and will be better if people like you just 'explain' things to them. EL OH 17-ING EL.

Thankfully I'm sobered up this morning and don't just give you a 17 you pusstard comment or similar. If you truly want to change things you'll start trying to figure out how to change the people, not the guns. But you just parrot the same old talking point, no individual or independent thought at all.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

So essentially you’re trolling.

Here’s an amazing concept, don’t respond with the same statement every time these come up. Everyone in this board knows how you feel about the subject you don’t have to tell us everything 17ing time.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

No, this will continue to occur as long as mental health issues continue to be normalized and there is no effective deterrent in place for violent crime.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
And you don't realize how dumb (or intentionally ignorant) you really are. Take away the guns (or try), these crimes will continue to happen, as the guns will be obtained on the black market. We have violent people here, not violent guns. Other countries don't have that. It's such a common sense thing that I don't think it's possible for the brainwashed sheep like you to ever comprehend. People are different.

Guns actually keep people in line more than you will ever understand, as well. You'll never understand that these events, while plastered all over the news, are almost non-existently (that's likely not a word) rare as far as a percentage of population. Many many more crazies are thwarted because of the threat of retaliation. Not to mention how many stabbings or beatings are prevented/stopped with guns. And without them, most people are sitting ducks in society. Because people are mean, there are bullies, there are predators, there are villains. You seem to think people are inherently good and will be better if people like you just 'explain' things to them. EL OH 17-ING EL.

Thankfully I'm sobered up this morning and don't just give you a 17 you pusstard comment or similar. If you truly want to change things you'll start trying to figure out how to change the people, not the guns. But you just parrot the same old talking point, no individual or independent thought at all.
I’m pretty sure you and I are on the same side of this debate but your first paragraph is pretty silly. Other countries don’t have violent people? Be honest about it… everywhere has violent and crazy people. There is way more access to guns here, there is no denying that. That is certainly part of the problem. But where you and I agree is that the problem can’t be solved by taking a right away from law abiding people, like most gun owners are. The fact is, and what golfer does not want to admit, there has been no “common sense” reform suggested that would have solved most of the mass shootings.

Last edited:
Reactions: thatsbaseball
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login