Teddy Knox in the portal.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That one kinda sucks. Guess it depends on where he goes, had to be based on playing time. If all these dudes transfer based on early PT they are going to be giving up good opportunities.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
You don't sign this quality of WR and then he leave after one year and be happy about it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We should have played him last year more than we did.
Considering that RaRa Thomas got to play as a freshman, I don't see how your claim can be backed up with evidence. That's why I say we will need to see where he goes. If he goes to Houston, then perhaps he's just another overrated TX recruit. If he goes to LSU, well, maybe you are right. But it's hard to tell anything right now unless you were at practice.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
The transfer portal is going to make it to where every Louisiana kid MSU or OM signs, the fans have to worry every offseason about them transferring to LSU. Which is my guess on where Knox winds up. The draw to Death Valley for Louisiana kids is STRONG.

That one sucks for you guys. He was a heck of a good looking prospect coming out of high school.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It’s backed up with the fact that he’s not going to be on the roster in 2022. We need to make the program better in 2023 & 2024 by playing kids, not redshirting them. We had more than enough snaps available.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
I don't get worked up over players like this transferring. He didn't see the field for a reason. Same thing with Janari Dean, and Cooley. Time will tell, I guess.

Aug 22, 2012
I don't get worked up over players like this transferring. He didn't see the field for a reason. Same thing with Janari Dean, and Cooley. Time will tell, I guess.

There’s another side to that coin partner. That means we can’t be too excited about anyone transferring in because they didn’t see the field for a reason either.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
The transfer portal is going to make it to where every Louisiana kid MSU or OM signs, the fans have to worry every offseason about them transferring to LSU. Which is my guess on where Knox winds up. The draw to Death Valley for Louisiana kids is STRONG.

That one sucks for you guys. He was a heck of a good looking prospect coming out of high school.

He's not going to LSU.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There’s another side to that coin partner. That means we can’t be too excited about anyone transferring in because they didn’t see the field for a reason either.
Not entirely true, assuming we are taking folks from the SEC have’s. Their talent is going to be better overall than the guys we lose due to lack of PT.

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
I think it will take about 5 years to see the difference the transfer portal makes. For us, I think we have benefited. In 5 years, I’d like to see what the spreadsheet looks like from guys we lost vs replaced. Both overall and by position where applicable. We are going to be a better, deeper program because of it. Look at Lashley. It’s obvious why he ever saw the field at bama. Saban would have needed weekly quadruple bypass if he started (no pun intended). But he was obviously better than what we had.

There’s going to be occasions where we don’t immediately replace a WR or QB (for example) that leaves. We can selectively use it as positional balance. Just because a WR leaves doesn’t mean we have to get another WR. We may be decimated at OL. This is a great way for us to get experienced players at a needed position. The NCAA should have approved it years ago for this reason alone.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

If Knox can't get playing time at State with 2 & 3 star WR competition. Good luck to him beating out the 5 or more 4 & 5 star WRs on LSU's roster.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's really pretty dumb to redshirt a kid who can contribute at all with the portal. You've not likely to keep them for 5 years in today's world anyway. If he's really not good enough to contribute anything in 5 games, it's probably not a great loss.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
How are we going to be better though if we just play kids to play them every year even if they aren’t the best players? Wouldn’t that inherently make us worse?

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
RaRa and Rufus got PT as freshmen this year. I know Knox was an inside receiver and even Calvin struggled to get a ton of snaps with Williams and Walley there but it could’ve been something as simple as him just not understanding the scheme and not performing well enough to get PT over those guys. Not like Leach is keeping freshmen off the field. Getting two more experienced transfers in probably didn’t sit well with him I’m assuming. Wish he would’ve stuck it out. Kid has impressive speed.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
RaRa and Rufus got PT as freshmen this year. I know Knox was an inside receiver and even Calvin struggled to get a ton of snaps with Williams and Walley there but it could’ve been something as simple as him just not understanding the scheme and not performing well enough to get PT over those guys. Not like Leach is keeping freshmen off the field. Getting two more experienced transfers in probably didn’t sit well with him I’m assuming. Wish he would’ve stuck it out. Kid has impressive speed.

What two experienced transfers? One caught a couple passes and the other redshirt.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's more about satiating the player in the short term for the long term payout. Yeah. Modern athletics is becoming that lame.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
I guess not much more experienced but still all had more reps than he did

Aug 28, 2018
With Leach, it has become pretty obvious that the best player will play. The "best player" does not mean the best star rating or pre-MSU rating. That means whoever grasps the system and performs the best day in and day out will be playing.

If players leave because they are not playing, then they clearly were not good enough to play--regardless of their incoming hype.

My guess is 1) He couldn't read/react/adjust to coverage properly or 2) Dropped too many balls. Tangible #1 for a Leach WR is you MUST catch the ball....every time. If you show you can do that, then you have to show you can make the other adjustments and proper reads.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm never concerned when players who weren't playing leave. Leach has had more success bringing players in from the portal than losses from players leaving.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I agree with your assessment. If he wasn't getting playing time with the new rules for red shirts then their was a problem with him learning the system. It is definitely different than just running routes like he did in high school. Adjusting to the zone defense is tough for new players coming into our program but it is what they will see if they make it to the NFL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login