Tennessee Titans New Stadium Funded

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
$2.1 Billion is a helluva price tag for a roof that doesn't even retract.

Here are the designs:

Looks like they're angling for Super Bowls and a CFP game. Music City Bowl might have a little higher profile in about 5 years.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Here are the designs:

Looks like they're angling for Super Bowls and a CFP game. Music City Bowl might have a little higher profile in about 5 years.
Final Four too.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Looks like they're adding additional taxes to Nashville area hotels, which are already exorbitantly priced. There are only so many trailers and prosthetic limbs a man can sell if he wants to travel.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Looks like they're adding additional taxes to Nashville area hotels, which are already exorbitantly priced. There are only so many trailers and prosthetic limbs a man can sell if he wants to travel.
The last couple of times we have gone to Nashville we did AirBnb. So much cheaper and if you’re going with a group you can get something together to share the cost.

Reactions: woozman and Dawgg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Here are the designs:

I would love to see the calculations on return on investment for the city. Doing an indoor venue that can host all weather concerts will help and I assume Nashville has become such a destination now that it can routinely fill up stadium concerts. They should get a Super Bowl soon after (assuming the NFL still rewards localities that provide public money for stadiums?); not sure how much revenue that generates for a city. They should be a popular location for NCAA tournament games if the venue is decent as a basketball venue (usually converted football stadiums are not great though).

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
"Their team, our dream"

Member those billboards around Memphis?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Final Four too.
Kinda of glad Bud Adams moved the team from Memphis to Nashville. Not sure that kind of expenditure would have gone over well in liberal-minded Memphis like it has in conservative leaning Nashville. Actually, Memphis can thank the Pittsburg Steeler's fans for old Bud's final decision to land in Music City. Nevertheless, in a way, I'm glad they didn't stay in Mempho.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Kinda of glad Bud Adams moved the team from Memphis to Nashville. Not sure that kind of expenditure would have gone over well in liberal-minded Memphis like it has in conservative leaning Nashville. Actually, Memphis can thank the Pittsburg Steeler's fans for old Bud's final decision to land in Music City. Nevertheless, in a way, I'm glad they didn't stay in Mempho.

Playing in Memphis was just temporary until their current stadium was built and finished. It was never a permanent move.

If you’re going to take a jab at something at least get the facts straight.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Playing in Memphis was just temporary until their current stadium was built and finished. It was never a permanent move.

Bud Adams direct quote was "we're moving to Memphis" period. Said the team will play an exhibition season at the Liberty Bowl while the city brought up plans to bring the stadium to then, current NFL standards. When the Steelers came to play, their fans flooded the Liberty Bowl with the "white terrible towels". I know, because I was there. Bud Adams was reportedly so pissed off by all the opponents fans in the stands, he later said he was going to check out Nashville and see what his options were there. Nashville promised a new stadium, but Memphis did not. Game over. Those are the facts......boy.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is Nashville conservative? I knew the outlying areas were, but I thought Nashville proper was leftist now and had been for a while?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Here are the designs:

Doesn't the Super Bowl require >70,000 capacity?

I'm pretty sure if I lived in Memphis or Knoxville I wouldn't want state funds, that I payed taxes for, to be used to finance a stadium in Nashville.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

Was about to say the same thing.. He decided to move the team to Nashville even though Memphis begged him for the team.... and then Memphis agreed to let the Tennessee Oilers play in the Liberty Bowl while the stadium was built in Nasvhille.

It was an odd deal and I think about 20k fans per game turned out to watch. I remember Bud Adams saying something like Memphis fans should buy season tickets to prove they should have been selected.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Is Nashville conservative? I knew the outlying areas were, but I thought Nashville proper was leftist now and had been for a while?
Nashville metro. However, inside their city limits is still much more conservative than Memphis, Birmingham, or Jackson, MS.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Bud Adams direct quote was "we're moving to Memphis" period. Said the team will play an exhibition season at the Liberty Bowl while the city brought up plans to bring the stadium to then, current NFL standards. When the Steelers came to play, their fans flooded the Liberty Bowl with the "white terrible towels". I know, because I was there. Bud Adams was reportedly so pissed off by all the opponents fans in the stands, he later said he was going to check out Nashville and see what his options were there. Nashville promised a new stadium, but Memphis did not. Game over. Those are the facts......boy.
Still not correct. It was never a permanent move, boy.

In 1997, the Oilers relocated to Nashville, Tennessee, but played at the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in Memphis for one season while waiting for a new stadium to be constructed. Due to low attendance, the team moved to Nashville's Vanderbilt Stadium in 1998

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Was about to say the same thing.. He decided to move the team to Nashville even though Memphis begged him for the team.... and then Memphis agreed to let the Tennessee Oilers play in the Liberty Bowl while the stadium was built in Nasvhille.

It was an odd deal and I think about 20k fans per game turned out to watch. I remember Bud Adams saying something like Memphis fans should buy season tickets to prove they should have been selected.
I went to 4 exhibition games there. About 45K each time. Nashville at that time couldn't even get enough to fill Vandy's stadium which they considered using instead of the Liberty Bowl.....so they stayed in Memphis while Titan stadium was being built. Then later, Memphis's NFL franchise which looked extremely promising, was slid under the table and given to Jacksonville.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I went to 4 exhibition games there. About 45K each time. Nashville at that time couldn't even get enough to fill Vandy's stadium which they considered using instead of the Liberty Bowl.....so they stayed in Memphis while Titan stadium was being built. Then later, Memphis's NFL franchise which looked extremely promising, was slid under the table and given to Jacksonville.

Memphis’ NFL bid was in 94. The Titans played in the Liberty Bowl in 97.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
People who really want to know what happened would have needed to talk to Bill Dunavant, Logan Young, and Pepper Rogers. They would have told you what REALLY happened. Not what was being reported in the newspapers/radio. I talked to Dunavant personally about it. He told me the Houston Oilers were going to move to Memphis and remain there providing the City of Memphis, Shelby Co, and the State of Tennessee came up with the funds to renovate the Liberty Bowl or build a new stadium downtown on the river. Memphis failed in that aspect where Nashville succeeded. It later on was found out that the State of TN gave Nashville WAY more funding to build Titan stadium than what they were willing to give Memphis. Of course, the State of TN is located in Nashville, and that was that. The state wanted the team in Nashville, not Memphis, and thus did not put the full weight of their support behind the Memphis franchise group.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Nope, You believe stories you read. I talked to one of top would be investors in the Memphis franchise face-to-face. You need to bend over and take it where you like it.
Angela Lansbury Popcorn GIF

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Agee, LOL. How many people really know what happened with JFK's assassination? Probably none or a handful that are likely dead. Same with the Oilers move to Memphis. Of course, there's always the internet to tell you the truth and actual details. Right?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Agee, LOL. How many people really know what happened with JFK's assassination? Probably none or a handful that are likely dead. Same with the Oilers move to Memphis. Of course, there's always the internet to tell you the truth and actual details. Right?
Sounds like you have some real insider info on DSD, too.*

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I would enjoy reading an unbiased report on the benefit of taxpayers funding stadiums for billionaires to run their teams consisting of millionaires.

If it is genuinely a good deal for the cities, cool. There sure have been countless reports to show its a terrible deal though.
If every city refused to fund stadiums at the same time, it would be interesting to see what would happen. Would owners stop threatening to leave and move their teams elsewhere? Would owners just fund the builds themselves? Would there be fewer over the top huge stadiums with state of the art everything and instead just more stadiums that are safe and fine, but not destinations in their own right?

Seattle continues to pay off the Kingdome for 15 years after it was demolished.
St Louis still owed $144MM on the Edward Jones Dome when the Rams left.
Philly still owed $160,000 on Veterans Stadium more than 10 years after it was torn down.
Indianapolis still owed on the Hoosier Dome over 5 years after it was demolished.
When the old Giants stadium was demolished, over $110MM was still owed by the state of NJ.

- There were many things to dislike about the Bills stadium project. At $850 million, it is the largest taxpayer handout for a new stadium in U.S. history even before additional subsidies such as annual maintenance costs, property tax exemptions and tax exemptions for municipal bond interest are considered. These factors could easily drive the total government price tag well over $1 billion.
- And don’t think that NFL stadiums typically host a multitude of other events. Over its 50 years of existence, aside from a pair of annual high school football games and a few miscellaneous competitions, Highmark Stadium has hosted a grand total of 30 major concerts, three college football games and two large hockey games. And Buffalo’s venue is not out of the ordinary for any large, outdoor stadium.
- The Pegulas were essentially able to extort New York taxpayers by threatening to relocate the team if they didn’t pay up.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
From 1995:

From 1996:

At no point in there is Memphis ever mentioned as a potentially permanent home. At the most, the Liberty Bowl would be their home until 1998 if Adelphia wasn't finished in time for the '98 season.

Now... @AstroDog .... you may be able to say that previous to this, there were some handshake deals made that would have brought a team to Memphis, but once Adams made the decision to move the Oilers out of Houston, Memphis was never going to be more than a stop on the way to their permanent home in Nashville. Your boy Pepper Rogers gets a mention... as a partner for the Memphis Mad Dogs of the CFL.

Reactions: Raiderdawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Memphis was doomed on the expansion race when they decided to name the potential team the 17ing Houn’Dogs.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
I believe they were supposed to play in Memphis two years while the new stadium was being built in Nashville. I went to most of the games, but as Astro mentioned, the Steelers game where there were more Steeler fans than Titans fans pissed Adams off and they played the next season at Vandy because of that.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
No. It leans liberal and becoming more so as the economy continues to rapidly grow. Republicans have done a pretty good job carving it up to dilute their influence though. Pretty well documented.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
No. It leans liberal and becoming more so as the economy continues to rapidly grow. Republicans have done a pretty good job carving it up to dilute their influence though. Pretty well documented.
Just like everyone else does.
The liberalism of Nashville never depended on the economy. Thank God it hasn’t gotten to the extent that other cities have but they’re trying. Lefties not rich enough to live the protected Nashville lifestyle flock to the ‘burbs and now have started to try and change the very places they moved to to match the ones they left. 🤷‍♂️

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
The liberalism of Nashville never depended on the economy. Thank God it hasn’t gotten to the extent that other cities have but they’re trying. Lefties not rich enough to live the protected Nashville lifestyle flock to the ‘burbs and now have started to try and change the very places they moved to to match the ones they left. 🤷‍♂️
Never suggested it was unique to Nashville nor party.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
1682545998732.png

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I guess I miss all the times you call out liberals. A thousand apologies.
Who's casting the bait on this forum? Conservatives start the politic threads and turn posts political the VAST majority of the time on this board. There's just simply more conservative commentary to respond to around here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login